Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a three tap kegerator font with Intertaps on the standard short shanks with 6mm barbs. Currently using the 5mm ID line that shipped with the kegerator. I'd like to upgrade to the new 4mm ID EVABarrier line so that I can have less line coiled in the fridge.

Any recommendations on how to proceed? My main concern is trying to get the 4mm line onto a 6mm barb.

Is there a short shank option with a 90 degree elbow and a duotight connector in the works? Basically the same as the existing shank, but instead of a barb connector, a duotight connector.

Hey Pete, Re: 4mm Eva line onto 6mm barb. I can pop over and show you. A little fiddly but once you learn it they get easier. I've changed all but a few barbs now.

Hey guys do you have a release date for the gen 2 fermentasaurus ? If not im going to buy one of your kegmenters .
Cheers

I just hit the button on a 58L Kegmenter, but unfortunately the pressure lids were out of stock at the moment..

I'm not sure, if that would do the job. First, I don't think that the 90 degree barb part can be separated from the short shank to expose the thread, like you can on long shanks. There's also not much thread on the short shanks, so even if the barb part can come out, there might not be enough thread to attach the fitting. Second of all, I'm not sure if there is enough room in a standard 3" font to fit three of these and leave enough room for insulation and enough bend radius for three beer lines.

If both lines are 8mm O/D you could use this one if there's room for them.
https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight-8mm-push-in-joiner-double-o-ring.html

While not ideal, it could probably be beaten into submission. I could stagger three of these in the font by cutting the existing lines at 5, 10 and 15 cm, so that all the joiners don't end up in the same spot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: 4mm Eva line onto 6mm barb. ... A little fiddly but once you learn it they get easier. I've changed all but a few barbs now.

If it can be done and is reliable, I might give this a go first. It's been a while, but I recall that trying to fit the 5mm ID Keg King line onto the shank and stainless steel disconnect barbs was not much fun. I got there in the end and all connections have been reliable for a couple of years now.

@KegLand-com-au what is your recommendation?

I'm not sure, if that would do the job. First, I don't think that the 90 degree barb part can be separated from the short shank to expose the thread, like you can on long shanks. There's also not much thread on the short shanks, so even if the barb part can come out, there might not be enough thread to attach the fitting. Second of all, I'm not sure if there is enough room in a standard 3" font to fit three of these and leave enough room for insulation and enough bend radius for three beer lines.

While not ideal, it could probably be beaten into submission. I could stagger three of these in the font by cutting the existing lines at 5, 10 and 15 cm, so that all the joiners don't end up in the same spot. Thanks for the suggestion.

If it can be done and is reliable, I might give this a go first. It's been a while, but I recall that trying to fit the 5mm ID Keg King line onto the shank and stainless steel disconnect barbs was not much fun. I got there in the end and all connections have been reliable for a couple of years now.

@KegLand-com-au what is your recommendation?

Have you got a pop riveter.I just tried it on 4mm line and it works ok.
DSC004481.jpg DSC004533.jpg DSC004544.jpg DSC004555.jpg
After it's stretched,warm it up then cool it with the rivet still in place.Then place on barb and warm up again to fit.Not too hot or the line collapses.

Last edited:
I hate quoting myself, but is anybody able to answer the question I posted above? @KegLand-com-au hasn't responded - I suspect they've been busy with new product development and website improvements. I'm cool with that - I was just hoping for an official answer to whether it's safe to run the pump during a boil.
No it isn't it can damage the pump, 80 C maximum.

No it isn't it can damage the pump, 80 C maximum.

Thanks @awfulknauful. I've now received 2 responses to my question - 1 saying it's perfectly safe and now yours saying it's not. Confusion reigns supreme!

Where did you get the information saying the pump can only be run to a maximum temperature of 80°C?

Hopefully @KegLand-com-au can clarify the official position.

Thanks @awfulknauful. I've now received 2 responses to my question - 1 saying it's perfectly safe and now yours saying it's not. Confusion reigns supreme!

Where did you get the information saying the pump can only be run to a maximum temperature of 80°C?

Hopefully @KegLand-com-au can clarify the official position.
This magnetic drive pump is the ideal pump is the same one that we use in the Robobrew 35L and 65L. Capable of withstanding temperatures up to 120C it can handle the boil directly without the need to cool before use. Extremely efficient well under 1 amp this pump can be run continuously at elevated temperatures. (Not an official, but this is from their website)

Last edited:
Hey @ABG no I am not, re-reading my post I see it comes across that I am (apologies)- it was a cut and paste directly from their website.

No worries mate. You answered my question definitively. I didn't think to look at the pump on their site - doh!

The weird thing is, I can't find anything written that came with the Robobrew stating that it's safe to use. Anyway, I'm satisfied that it's safe to use. Thanks for your help.

@KegLand-com-au - no biggie but I just noticed the title description in the HTML for the 29L kegmenter (https://www.kegland.com.au/29l-kegmenter-304-stainless-uni-tank-pressurisable-fermenter.html) is incorrect, so up in the tab of the browser it reads as the 58L.

Here is the incorrect code in the source..
<title>58L Kegmenter 304 Stainless - Uni Tank - Pressurisable Fermenter</title>

PS. I was getting impatient with waiting for the Fermentasaurus 2 release so I've been looking at these instead but alas the pressure caps are out of stock, something is always out of stock! /sigh

...something is always out of stock! /sigh

Same. Combining postage on several items is great, but it consequently encourages me to buy multiple items, which are intermittently or permanently out of stock.

@KegLand-com-au There are a fair few questions stacking up on this thread, so I can only assume no news means that you yourselves can't give us lead times. It could be worthwhile writing that, though.

Please don't take it as criticism, we know that you could be the ultimate one-stop shop, and that you're working hard to get there.

Great pace, @KegLand-com-au. I see that you've put up the GOLD subscription for Beersmith 3 - any chance of the once-off licence being available? I don't do subscriptions for Microsoft Office / etc, so I like the single purchase, despite the advantages that the GOLD package puts forward.

About 70% of customers in America go for the beersmith Gold Licence as it's good value and it means you get constant updates.

We can also sell the licence where you own the software and dont have any ongoing fees but the price will be about $40 compared to the $20 that we sell the annual licence for. So at $40 do you think you would still prefer to purchase the software outright? You might find that after 2 years you have to then purchase a newer version anyway. Brad is constantly updating this software so although it's not nice having to pay annual fees I actually think in this instance the Golg Licence is the way to go.

What do you other guys think? If we get anough call for both we will also sell the software outright too.

I hate quoting myself, but is anybody able to answer the question I posted above? @KegLand-com-au hasn't responded - I suspect they've been busy with new product development and website improvements. I'm cool with that - I was just hoping for an official answer to whether it's safe to run the pump during a boil.

Sorry about that. I think we missed that question. Yes you can use the pump during the boil.

Latest posts

Back