Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries. Also I wanted to ask you guys a question to see what you would prefer.

1. Option 1 - Refillable nitrogen cylinders but it might be a few months before we have a nitrogen refill station installed
- Aluminium cylinder
- Comes full and is sold for $28
- Looks like a sodastream cylinder and has same valve on top so it's compatible with various sodastream adaptors so you can connect it to your CO2 regulator just like a sodastream cylinder.
- Contains 110Litres of Nitrogen. Enough for about 2 corny kegs.
- Eventually when we start doing fills the fills will cost about $20 each.

2. Option 2 - Disposable nitrogen cylinders
- Made from steel
- comes full and is sold for $34
- Is twice the size of option 1 but holds 157L of nitrogen and is enough for almost 3 corny kegs
- has a much smaller metric thread designed to suit regulators that look like this:
http://www.airwholesalers.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=374

Do you guys have a preference on this one? It would be good to hear what you guys think.
Option 1 for me. Also are we talking pure nitrogen or beergas? My preference would be for beergas.

My preference for nitrogen cylinders is Option 1. Nice and convenient to have a couple on hand at all times, and not over the top price. I already have the soda stream adapters which helps, but would still go option 1 and purchase the adapters to suit if I didn't. Like altone above, I always prefer reusable over throw away items and at under $60 to have a couple on hand (plus a regulator), it seems like a pretty reasonable entry point for anyone like me that's never run nitrogen.

Having said all that, I'm in QLD, so I'd need to make sure I could get them refilled locally.

100% prefer refillable nitrogen cylinders; especially if available in QLD.

No worries. Also I wanted to ask you guys a question to see what you would prefer.

1. Option 1 - Refillable nitrogen cylinders but it might be a few months before we have a nitrogen refill station installed
- Aluminium cylinder
- Comes full and is sold for $28
- Looks like a sodastream cylinder and has same valve on top so it's compatible with various sodastream adaptors so you can connect it to your CO2 regulator just like a sodastream cylinder.
- Contains 110Litres of Nitrogen. Enough for about 2 corny kegs.
- Eventually when we start doing fills the fills will cost about $20 each.

2. Option 2 - Disposable nitrogen cylinders
- Made from steel
- comes full and is sold for $34
- Is twice the size of option 1 but holds 157L of nitrogen and is enough for almost 3 corny kegs
- has a much smaller metric thread designed to suit regulators that look like this:
http://www.airwholesalers.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=374

Do you guys have a preference on this one? It would be good to hear what you guys think.

Id love to say reusable, but to be honest, the single use would appeal more to me so i wouldn't have to worry about refilling and there's not much of a cost differential.

These are the only stainless Fermenter that we have at the moment:
https://www.kegland.com.au/58l-kegmenter-304-stainless-uni-tank-pressurisable-fermenter.html
https://www.kegland.com.au/29l-kegmenter-304-stainless-uni-tank-pressurisable-fermenter.html

With that said we will probably do some smaller simple fermenters and also some larger 50l and 100L conical fermenters too but this is at least a few months away.

Thanks! Any clues on what the smaller ones will feature and rough price point to make me not impulse buy an ss brewtech?

Last edited:
Refill nitro is always nicer, but i live where refilling co2 takes some logistical linguistics

Any plans to stock the 8mm push in fitting MFL (KL02424) again? All I see is the duotight push in fitting at double the price.

Any plans to stock the 8mm push in fitting MFL (KL02424) again? All I see is the duotight push in fitting at double the price.
Check out then ask yourself if C02 at $10 a kilo or your beer which is priceless leaks, how long before that $4 fitting becomes gold. cheers.

If it is a soda stream type bottle can you still use the same mini reg as the c02 one?

The mini-regs that we sell are rated for 1800psi at the moment but we are doing some engineering on these at the moment to confirm the suitability for higher pressures.

If the engineering goes well then it might be a simple option of changing the burst disk on these regulators:

https://www.kegland.com.au/mini-all-in-one-regulator-charger-with-prv.html

So on the back of this model you can unscrew the 1800 burst disk and swap with the 3000psi burst disk and then it will be good to use with nitrogen. So we will have to get back to you to confirm this.

My preference for nitrogen cylinders is Option 1. Nice and convenient to have a couple on hand at all times, and not over the top price. I already have the soda stream adapters which helps, but would still go option 1 and purchase the adapters to suit if I didn't. Like altone above, I always prefer reusable over throw away items and at under $60 to have a couple on hand (plus a regulator), it seems like a pretty reasonable entry point for anyone like me that's never run nitrogen.

Having said all that, I'm in QLD, so I'd need to make sure I could get them refilled locally.

Yes if you are using the Sodastream adaptor then you will be able to use some of the CO2 regulators that are rated to the correct pressure. Our MKIII regulator will be suitable to take this type of pressure:
https://www.kegland.com.au/mk-ii-dual-gauge-multi-gas-regulator.html

But not all CO2 regulators are suitable for nitrogen so you really need to check.

We would be talking about 100% nitrogen not cellar mix.
Ahh, thanks for clarifying. Just wondering what the demand/use case is for pure nitrogen? Is it just for nitro coffee?

If it's for beer, my understanding is that you need the nitrogen + CO2 mix, or the beer ends up going flat. No way an expert in this area though, so there's a good chance I've got the wrong end of the stick!

Any chance on an ETA for your PBW Cleaner? Simply says out of stock...

We do have this product in stock now which I know a lot of people use:
https://www.kegland.com.au/stellaroxy-100-sodium-percarbonate.html
I know a lot of people use 100% Sodium percarbonate as a single product cleaner but it has it's limitations and is not effective against things like oils. So some people find that if they continue to use this product over and over again that they start to get some residue build up in the fermenter. It's also not particularly good if you have hard water. So if you are in Adelaide or some parts of QLD, or you use ground water then Sodium Percarbonate is probably not as good an option.

For this reason we thought we should stock this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/stellarc...ewery-cleaner-beer-line-cleaner-keg-wash.html

This cleaner is almost identical to another similar cleaner from America but it's half the cost. It comes with water softening agents, surfactants, chelating agents and is specifically formulated to work on all types of stains within a brewery. So this is really a far better option that pure sodium percarbonate as it works on a much wider range of stains/soiling/oils/proteins/tannin/beer stone etc. To be quite honest I think you will find it difficult to find a better cleaner at anywhere near this price for a 1kg jar. The Powerful brewing wash will be in stock at the end of the week.

...The Powerful brewing wash will be in stock at the end of the week.

Thanks! I have bought Sodium Percarbonate from you, but would've gotten PBW if it was in stock. This is all that I was after, but great opportunity to inform others about the differences! :D

Since I've been trawling your website anyway - is there an option to combine your two separate aeration products for say ~$30?

https://www.kegland.com.au/2-micron-oxygenation-aeration-wand-kit.html
https://www.kegland.com.au/wort-aerator-air-pump-kit.html

I don't really need to double up on hose and a 2nd aeration stone...

Thanks for that. At the moment we don't have the pump available on it's own at the moment but I will talk to the others here and see what they think about making a kit with the pump and wand.

In the near future we will have disposable oxygen cylinders and I assume most people getting the wand will get the disposable oxygen cylinder.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. Just wondering what the demand/use case is for pure nitrogen? Is it just for nitro coffee?

If it's for beer, my understanding is that you need the nitrogen + CO2 mix, or the beer ends up going flat. No way an expert in this area though, so there's a good chance I've got the wrong end of the stick!

Yes you can use 100% nitrogen to dispense beer as well however you will eventually get a small amount of CO2 come out of solution and into the head space of the keg meaning your beer will be a bit less carbonated. With that said this takes quite a while so provided you had a reasonable amount of pressure with your nitrogen you could use it to dispense ordinary beer too, it would just be more expensive than CO2 so not that much point to do this.

You can use pure nitrogen to dispense coffee, stout, or other beverages that you want elevated pressures for to push the beverage through a nitro spout.

Also it can be used for wine dispensing. We have been looking to eventually make a wine bottle dispenser but have not got round to finishing this product yet. You to get a very small amount of nitrogen dissolve into the wine but it's so small that it's not noticeable at low dispense pressures. For the real wine snobs we will also offer argon but this is double the price and the difference is not noticeable from our perspective.

Latest posts

Back