Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Geelong which is mostly cold same as melb. I have a decking with a pergola would a series x be safe outside and operate efficiently? Also because it's outside I think I would keep the cover on most of the time and just peek inside to pour a beer or 2 a night. Would the cover be ok to be on it for normal operation?

3) Update with your inline digital gauge please?
We have finished the design process and the product is now moved to manufacturing. We are waiting for the injection moulds to get finished. It's likely that these are going to be quite popular as we have already had quite a few people requesting this. I think it hopefully will be available by the end of the year but hard to say exactly. We have been doing a lot of work with digital pressure transducers at the moment and we have some other really cool products that use them too that will be available soon.

Please tell me you're planning a digitally controlled IOT spunding valve that can integrate with other systems?

Please tell me you're planning a digitally controlled IOT spunding valve that can integrate with other systems?

A digital mini CO2 reg that can be app controlled with wifi or bluetooth would be awesome.

Not sure about the price drop, I bought one about a month ago and its great. Pretty simple not sure what could improve on it. Other than the duotight fitting can leak if you're not paying attention. Works great though. I even use it to recirc ice water through my chiller to knock off the last 40 degrees and get it nice and cold.

I suppose you could upgrade the pump with a higher flow rate and pressure or upgrading the fittings to stainless or updating the stand to be more accepting to cornies which i heard can be a pain in the arse.

A digital mini CO2 reg that can be app controlled with wifi or bluetooth would be awesome.

I suppose you could upgrade the pump with a higher flow rate and pressure or upgrading the fittings to stainless or updating the stand to be more accepting to cornies which i heard can be a pain in the arse.
Yeah getting cornies to sit on the stand is a bit painful, I don't think flow rate needs an increase. My snub nose is cleaned in about 4 minutes with PBW and kegs take about 3.

Stainless fittings wouldn't be needed tbh because it's for cleaning so what's it matter?

I live in Geelong which is mostly cold same as melb. I have a decking with a pergola would a series x be safe outside and operate efficiently? Also because it's outside I think I would keep the cover on most of the time and just peek inside to pour a beer or 2 a night. Would the cover be ok to be on it for normal operation?

As long as you keep the rain off the electronics and the left and right hand wall well ventilated then it will happily sit outside and operate efficiently. The ambient temperatures outside are no problem at all. It's generally just water that gets into the electronics that are an issue.

As we use the R600a gas we are required by Australian standards to have the relay boards fairly well covered that are down near the compressor so at the back. The electronics at the top where the buttons are are more sensitive and you really need to be sure you do not have rain falling over these controls especially. If you can solve this rain issue you will be fine.

Retarding I think we need to design some new wire shelving types that are vertical as you have suggested. This would give the most flexibility and then you can have kegs one side and bottles on the other side and not need any support pillar that gets in the way of the clear span door opening. This is probably something that we will design down the track. If you guys have particular suggestions on this please let us know.

Well, now it sounds like if I'm willing to wait I'm going to go from no off the shelf options to 2. I could probably make space for a Series X Plus depending on how wide it actually is. I do like the idea that I wouldn't have tubing in the way when opening the door to get cans/bottles from the fridge. Going to be a tough decision.

On a different note, I saw something about fermzillas that could support boiling temperatures. Is this still likely to happen?

This is a bit of a tricky device to make. We have been playing around a lot with digital pressure control which will mainly be for measuring gas into kegs or FermZilla units for controlling the carbonation process. When dealing with krausen this is when a lot of the digital pressure transducers seem to fail and become unreliable so we have not had as much success on this yet.

It was mentioned a few posts back that you guys might want a tri-clover diaphragm spunding valve so I think this is something we will probably make and will be a lot easier to clean as it will come apart with a tri-clover clamp. Also will have a larger gauge and diaphragm so if you want higher accuracy and higher gas flow rates it will also suit this too.

Well, now it sounds like if I'm willing to wait I'm going to go from no off the shelf options to 2. I could probably make space for a Series X Plus depending on how wide it actually is. I do like the idea that I wouldn't have tubing in the way when opening the door to get cans/bottles from the fridge. Going to be a tough decision.

On a different note, I saw something about fermzillas that could support boiling temperatures. Is this still likely to happen?

We are still doing testing but running into a lot of issues with the resins that can handle 100C temperatures. I think we will get there but we have already spent quite a lot of money and time trying to get this to work. I think we will get there eventually but we need to keep doing more testing. I should say that we do not have a lot of information to go off as we are the only company we are aware of using 100% of this high temperature resin in the injection stretch blow moulding process and in the large container sizes. As a result we do not have people we can call on for advice. These high temperature resins also are no where near as well documented as the standard PET grades that are used widely. So we have been very much on our own doing the research. We will definitely get there eventually but it's just more time consuming that we originally hoped.

I really do like the idea of it though. I think there would be nothing better than being able do dump hot wort directly into the Fermzilla conical and then use the butterfly valve to separate trub/hops from the clear wort. This would be highly desirable. Conversely it may one day be possible to fit an element to the clear fermenter and boil, chill, ferment, clarify and dispense all from the one tank. This might also be something that is possible at some stage so we are definitely excited by these possibilities but no time frame on when the products will be available yet.

With an open API to integrate into other apps would be the nuts

Yes this is something that we would be keen to do as well. I think it's highly likely that this happens at some stage as we are heading in this direction at the moment.

With an open API to integrate into other apps would be the nuts

Just out of interest what would you do with the API if you could do this. Do you have a particular application that you would like to use it for. It would be nice to know so we can take this into consideration.

Just out of interest what would you do with the API if you could do this. Do you have a particular application that you would like to use it for. It would be nice to know so we can take this into consideration.
Would like to see it incorporated into fermentrack and possibly homeassistant. A documented open api would make life a lot easier

@ x gravity points left to achieve x.x desired volumes of CO2, spund fermenter to x pressure @ given temperature to achieve carbonation set point.

The above obviously assuming someone has iSpindel / tilt etc so that the S.G. is known.

The above obviously assuming someone has iSpindel / tilt etc so that the S.G. is known.

I think KL are developing their own digital hydrometer which will be compatible with their line up of connected gear (RAPT fridge etc...)

The next couple of years could be very interesting, depends on how far KL want to take their RAPT and IoT platform.

PS Hey @KegLand-com-au is RAPT the name of the fridge specifically or the name of your IoT platform?

I think KL are developing their own digital hydrometer which will be compatible with their line up of connected gear (RAPT fridge etc...)

The next couple of years could be very interesting, depends on how far KL want to take their RAPT and IoT platform.

PS Hey @KegLand-com-au is RAPT the name of the fridge specifically or the name of your IoT platform?

RAPT will eventually become the IOT platform that is the hub for several IOT devices that we are making. The first will be the fridge and possibly at the same time the hydrometer. The next IOT product will most likely be a separate temp controller box and then the gas controller.

The good thing about all the IOT devices is that the firmware can be updated easily over the air. So even if you get the Gen 1 unit you will still get access to software updates as the products develop.

Back