Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey @KegLand-com-au, I've just built a keg fridge and am transitioning away from bottling. I notice your great growlers online, but any chance of getting 1L squealers? 2L's is a fair bit of brew for a friend to chug down in a day or two...

5632fe1dadeb9346422522-1024x576.jpg

(source: http://petitionperth.com/growlers-squealers/)

I would hope there would be a market for them, especially if UNinsulated ones were say $15 and insulated were also $20. I found this group in Perth that look strikingly similar to yours, so maybe a common supplier with your current ones could make it easy.
If you do look into it and want to just do a once off - I'll put my hand up for 10!

We dont have plans on making the 1L size at this stage. If we eventually get enough demand for we might look into it. I should also note that these ones you are talking about are single skin from what I understand.

The ones that we do are vacuum wall insulated:
https://www.kegland.com.au/vacuum-insulated-ultimate-growler-2-litre-64oz-mini-keg-system.html

I notice your great growlers online, but...
...if UNinsulated ones were say $15 and insulated were also $20.

I should also note that these ones you are talking about are single skin from what I understand.

The ones that we do are vacuum wall insulated:
https://www.kegland.com.au/vacuum-insulated-ultimate-growler-2-litre-64oz-mini-keg-system.html

I understand the details of your product. I think they are a great price, it's just that 2L doesn't suit all of my audience at the moment. I'll look into where the guys from Perth get them from and just organise a group buy if it's a one off. If there's no interest, I'll buy branded ones from aforementioned guys.
I appreciate the reply.

Hi Kegland, on your Reflux still video you say to stop collecting after the temperature goes up by 1*c. Does that apply for a stripping run?

In my stripping run I let it go up 5*c and it was still 86%.

Ahaaa, a fellow "stiller", for what it's worth Thomas it depends on what you're trying to accomplish, seeing as you are using a reflux I'll assume it's neutral. For stripping I use a pot still and parrot to still down to 30%, after that it becomes a case of diminishing returns, alcohol v electricity bill. You could do the same by just unpacking your column and run the thing flat out till you hit whatever % you're happy with. Some go down to 20% others stop at 40%. Temperature is not a reliable indicator of what is coming out of your still, just too many variables. I don't know how far you are on your stillin journey so apologies if what I have written is old news or beyond where you are at the moment. Happy to help if I can. cheers G

First run today :D
What you've said makes sense, so thanks for that

Next time I wont do a stripping run and see how it compares. I've heard the Tomato Paste Wash is pretty clean. And yeh I'm going for a neutral

Gotcha, ok well you're in for a bit of a journey lol. TPW is good but all your gear is going to be a wonderful pink colour. Google TFFV, but be aware that the DAP is better off being replaced with a comprehensive yeast nutrient, DAP is a bit old school and can have negative side effects when distilling. Just stay the hell away from the 20% alcohol Turbo crap and all it's associated finings, carbons etc. For a truly clean product without excessive carbon fining/filtering I would advise keep it modest, 10%-12% alcohol, and strip till you have enough for a spirit run, repack your column and take it slow, tasting/smelling as you go.

First run today :D
What you've said makes sense, so thanks for that

Next time I wont do a stripping run and see how it compares. I've heard the Tomato Paste Wash is pretty clean. And yeh I'm going for a neutral
I recommend still doing a stripping run, you'll hit azeo more consistently with a cleaner product
Keep your low wines until you have enough to fill your boiler at 40%

So it seems that the Maltzilla is not on the website at all now, was it ever in stock? And will it ever be released?

The injection moulded housing has been finished and if you order grain from is its actually milled with a Maltzilla unit. With that said we have decided to delay the release of this product a bit longer as we have found further ways that we can improve how the rollers are made. Previously like most of the other rollers in the marketplace we had started with knurled/hobbed rollers however we have found some surface treatments that we have been getting significantly better results on and we want to wait until this new roller type is completed before releasing the product. Sorry about the long wait. Every time we find a way to improve the product we have the difficult to decision to either wait a bit longer and make more changes or just release it as it is but we feel that the wait is worth it.

Hi Kegland, on your Reflux still video you say to stop collecting after the temperature goes up by 1*c. Does that apply for a stripping run?

In my stripping run I let it go up 5*c and it was still 86%.

It all comes down to how good quality you want the spirit to be. Yes you can continue to collect as the temp goes up to 5C however by that stage you will be getting significantly more impurities. Distillation is always a trade off between spirit quality and yield. I think by going up to 5C hotter you might only get 15% more spirit but this will be really significantly worse spirit. So the answer is that certainly you can do it but as long as you are ware you just might get slightly worse spirit in the end.

The injection moulded housing has been finished and if you order grain from is its actually milled with a Maltzilla unit. With that said we have decided to delay the release of this product a bit longer as we have found further ways that we can improve how the rollers are made. Previously like most of the other rollers in the marketplace we had started with knurled/hobbed rollers however we have found some surface treatments that we have been getting significantly better results on and we want to wait until this new roller type is completed before releasing the product. Sorry about the long wait. Every time we find a way to improve the product we have the difficult to decision to either wait a bit longer and make more changes or just release it as it is but we feel that the wait is worth it.
That's good to hear, my old Keg King mill (bought here in a bulk buy many, many moons ago) no longer can crush to flour as the knurling has dulled over time and when the gap is too close, they just don't grab the grain
I'd like to see if this new mill would grab harder grains like Coopers new malts when the rollers are close to touching

Great to hear, maybe a video of the mill in action wouldn't go amiss, looking forward to seeing it.

That's good to hear, my old Keg King mill (bought here in a bulk buy many, many moons ago) no longer can crush to flour as the knurling has dulled over time and when the gap is too close, they just don't grab the grain
I'd like to see if this new mill would grab harder grains like Coopers new malts when the rollers are close to touching

Well you would be happy to know that the testing we are doing we are using popcorn for the tests. Popcorn is probably about the hardest thing that you are likely to use in the brewery or distillery which is why the new MaltZilla is being tested under these conditions. Most mill types will start to wear out really fast with popcorn. It's true to say that knurling wearing down is one of the main reasons why grain mills do not draw grain as they get old. If you have a three roller you will get slightly better results but ultimately the rollers can still wear down over time and then not draw well. If you use larger roll diameter this makes a significant difference as the larger diameter is able to grab the grain far more effectively.

One of the major differences in how long your rollers will last and how consistently they will crush is the surface finish on the actual roller itself and this is where we have been spending our time and money in testing.

We did look at having both rollers driven and this helped a bit but once the knurling wears down it's still a problem and really the biggest factors that will ensure really consistent quality crush and very long mill life are larger roller diameter and surface finish.

Great to hear, maybe a video of the mill in action wouldn't go amiss, looking forward to seeing it.

You are going to have to wait for us to release the product before we make a video. We are a bit reluctant to give too much away about the new design otherwise you guys might just be disinterested when we actually release the product.

You are going to have to wait for us to release the product before we make a video. We are a bit reluctant to give too much away about the new design otherwise you guys might just be disinterested when we actually release the product.

Also people will jump up and down if it changes between the video and the release of the product!

I think the only disinterest would come about if you are thinking of putting the price up $100 like you did on the Cannular . So with the upgraded rollers and body is there a price increase on the Maltzilla?

Back