Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

KegLand Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by KegLand-com-au, 26/4/18.

1. Cian Doyle

Posted 9/4/19
    Pro Brewer is where I read it, but if you ferment under pressure aren't you supposed to apply the pressure towards the end?

2. Schikitar

Posted 9/4/19
    You can but most people who FUP will pitch, attach a spunding valve set to their desired pressure and let it go. I do this, typically have it set to about 8-15psi and let it ferment away under pressure, very low kraussen (I've used this method with 18-19L in a corny keg, doesn't blow kraussen out the spunding valve) - then do a pressure transfer. My last brew was under 15psi in a F'saurus, went from 1.075 to 1.011 (WLP090) - a very healthy ferment with about a 1" kraussen at peak.

3. Aus_Rider_22

Home Page:
    Posted 9/4/19
    Not OP but thanks for the reply. I have been thinking about FUP in a corny but was worried 19L in a corny would be too high with potential Krausen overflow. What spunding valve do you use?

Would love to be able to FUP, transfer to 2nd corny through a filter for my pale beers and not be concerned with oxygen ingress.

4. goatchop41

Posted 9/4/19
    You don't need a filter - just use a floating dip tube in the fermenting keg

Aus_Rider_22 likes this.
  5. Schikitar

Posted 10/4/19
    I have one of these - https://www.kegland.com.au/blowtie-diaphragm-spunding-valve-kit.html - works pretty good! You can definitely cram a lot of wort into your corny and ferment without too much worry of a kraussen blowout (that said, I can't vouch for every wort/yeast combination). The last two corny ferments I did were an XPA and an India Red Ale, both using M36. One of those I took right up to the seam line at the top of the keg, not sure how many litres that is exactly but it's pretty full by that point.

The Blowtie just takes just a little a bit of setup, check out Gash's video and see if it's something you'd like to add to your kit!

KegLand-com-au and Aus_Rider_22 like this.
  6. Reg Holt

Posted 10/4/19
  7. Fro-Daddy

Draftsperson
    Posted 10/4/19
    Is there anything around that compares different pressures?
    For example, is 5psi significantly worse than 2psi? Or does it only start to have measurable effects at 15psi+?

8. Reg Holt

Posted 10/4/19
    As the article mentions there is not enough knowledge on what pressure does what, but Chris White once said don't stifle the yeast, also good reading is Dave Miller's book Everything you need to know about home brewing, the fermentation chapter.

9. Schikitar

Posted 10/4/19
    Chris White also seemed to be 'chipper' about pressure fermenting in this BeerSmith podcast..

But I agree, the science is still out - I've not personally had any problems fermenting under pressure but that's just anecdotal information and I'd encourage all home brewers to form their own opinions based on their own experimentation..

I believe anything up to or around 15 psi is totally fine, I personally aim for around 10 psi.

KegLand-com-au likes this.
  10. SwiftyS

Posted 10/4/19
    less head space the better

11. Reg Holt

Posted 10/4/19

awfulknauful likes this.
  12. Schikitar

Posted 11/4/19
    I can see where you are coming from, I don't brew lagers (can't stand them) so my brews don't suffer from minor subtleties that would stand out in that style of beer, so yeah, I wouldn't pressure ferment a lager at ale temps/times either, sound advice. When it comes to pressure fermenting ales or darker beers, however, those styles are far more forgiving, the reduction of fusel alcohols (as per your link https://spikebrewing.com/blogs/ask-a-pro/pressurized-fermentation) alone is an added bonus I'll take. I just brewed a 8.4% IIPA and was surprised how unpronounced the alcohol was, not sure if the outcome would be the same (possibly!) with a regular ferment as this is the first time I've brewed this recipe but I'm very pleased with the outcome.

The other handy time to pressure ferment is if you want to do it in a corny with a full payload, that's actually what got me started doing them, more out of necessity than anything else but I liked the results so I've just stuck with it. Each to their own though, I'll keep an eye out for future literature on the subject, so long as it applies to the homebrew scale because pro brewing is a whole other thing that isn't always directly comparable!

13. sixfignig

Posted 12/4/19
    @KegLand-com-au

Can you take a close up photo of how you're connecting the aligator clips of the Cannular cable to the AEG battery? Looking at mine, the charging ports/plastic clips block access to the terminals.

14. theSeekerr

Posted 12/4/19
    Are the KL02172 plastic regulators ever coming back? Been looking to rework my water filter setup to be a bit less finicky...

15. Crakkers

Posted 12/4/19
    I'd say the alligator clips are not connected directly to the battery terminals, but to some sort of metallic strip which then slots into the terminals. Something like paper clips might do the job.
    Have a look at the AEG charger contacts and see if you can find something similar.

16. sixfignig

Posted 14/4/19
    Nevermind, my 9A batteries have the terminals at the front. Can hook the clips right onto it, works really well.

17. KegLand-com-au

www.KegLand.com.au - A Land of Stainless Steel AHB Sponsor

KegLand Distribution
    Home Page:
    Posted 14/4/19
    If you look closely at the AEG battery you will see the negative and positive terminal. It seems to be in the injection moulding of the battery. The good thing about the AEG batteries is that they also seem to have the sensitive electronics in the battery that prevent limit the battery getting too flat or drawing too much current. So this protects the battery from getting damaged. I can take a photo tomorrow if you like.

18. Reg Holt

Posted 17/4/19 at 9:45 AM
    After a 2.6 kg co2 gas cylinder, looking up the usual suspects for the best offer was bamboozled by this on KL website.
    A 2.6 gas cylinder ready to fill cost $73. Keg King a 2.6 gas cylinder full $74.95. One wouldn't need many guesses where I ordered from. Whats with the empty cylinders, and why doesnt Australia Post want to transport an empty cylinder?
    https://www.kegland.com.au/co2-gas-cylinders-2-6kg-full.html

19. enoch

Posted 17/4/19 at 12:35 PM
  20. Grmblz

As little as possible
    Posted 17/4/19 at 11:37 PM
    WT! That's just bizarre, but so is the 25% increase in the cannular, bit of a cash grab on an exclusive item I'm thinking. Will be interesting to see how if they come down when others start selling them.