Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure where you read that but I believe less headspace is typically preferred. If fermenting under pressure you don't need much headspace at all..
Pro Brewer is where I read it, but if you ferment under pressure aren't you supposed to apply the pressure towards the end?

but if you ferment under pressure aren't you supposed to apply the pressure towards the end?
You can but most people who FUP will pitch, attach a spunding valve set to their desired pressure and let it go. I do this, typically have it set to about 8-15psi and let it ferment away under pressure, very low kraussen (I've used this method with 18-19L in a corny keg, doesn't blow kraussen out the spunding valve) - then do a pressure transfer. My last brew was under 15psi in a F'saurus, went from 1.075 to 1.011 (WLP090) - a very healthy ferment with about a 1" kraussen at peak.

You can but most people who FUP will pitch, attach a spunding valve set to their desired pressure and let it go. I do this, typically have it set to about 8-15psi and let it ferment away under pressure, very low kraussen (I've used this method with 18-19L in a corny keg, doesn't blow kraussen out the spunding valve) - then do a pressure transfer. My last brew was under 15psi in a F'saurus, went from 1.075 to 1.011 (WLP090) - a very healthy ferment with about a 1" kraussen at peak.

Not OP but thanks for the reply. I have been thinking about FUP in a corny but was worried 19L in a corny would be too high with potential Krausen overflow. What spunding valve do you use?

Would love to be able to FUP, transfer to 2nd corny through a filter for my pale beers and not be concerned with oxygen ingress.

I have been thinking about FUP in a corny but was worried 19L in a corny would be too high with potential Krausen overflow. What spunding valve do you use?

I have one of these - https://www.kegland.com.au/blowtie-diaphragm-spunding-valve-kit.html - works pretty good! You can definitely cram a lot of wort into your corny and ferment without too much worry of a kraussen blowout (that said, I can't vouch for every wort/yeast combination). The last two corny ferments I did were an XPA and an India Red Ale, both using M36. One of those I took right up to the seam line at the top of the keg, not sure how many litres that is exactly but it's pretty full by that point.

The Blowtie just takes just a little a bit of setup, check out Gash's video and see if it's something you'd like to add to your kit!

Is there anything around that compares different pressures?
For example, is 5psi significantly worse than 2psi? Or does it only start to have measurable effects at 15psi+?

As the article mentions there is not enough knowledge on what pressure does what, but Chris White once said don't stifle the yeast, also good reading is Dave Miller's book Everything you need to know about home brewing, the fermentation chapter.

Chris White once said don't stifle the yeast
Chris White also seemed to be 'chipper' about pressure fermenting in this BeerSmith podcast..

But I agree, the science is still out - I've not personally had any problems fermenting under pressure but that's just anecdotal information and I'd encourage all home brewers to form their own opinions based on their own experimentation..

Or does it only start to have measurable effects at 15psi+?
I believe anything up to or around 15 psi is totally fine, I personally aim for around 10 psi.

Chris White also seemed to be 'chipper' about pressure fermenting in this BeerSmith podcast..

But I agree, the science is still out - I've not personally had any problems fermenting under pressure but that's just anecdotal information and I'd encourage all home brewers to form their own opinions based on their own experimentation..QUOTE]

The podcast is often put up as reason to pressure ferment, it should be seen as a reason not to, it is only covering lager brewing, and it is only covering WLP 925 higher pressure Lager yeast. They admitted that it doesn't taste like a lager, and it takes longer to ferment under pressure. They also stated that entered into a comp it wouldn't come anywhere. But if you like what you are making keep doing it.

less head space the better
After that pearl of wisdom, I will get my coat.

I can see where you are coming from, I don't brew lagers (can't stand them) so my brews don't suffer from minor subtleties that would stand out in that style of beer, so yeah, I wouldn't pressure ferment a lager at ale temps/times either, sound advice. When it comes to pressure fermenting ales or darker beers, however, those styles are far more forgiving, the reduction of fusel alcohols (as per your link https://spikebrewing.com/blogs/ask-a-pro/pressurized-fermentation) alone is an added bonus I'll take. I just brewed a 8.4% IIPA and was surprised how unpronounced the alcohol was, not sure if the outcome would be the same (possibly!) with a regular ferment as this is the first time I've brewed this recipe but I'm very pleased with the outcome.

The other handy time to pressure ferment is if you want to do it in a corny with a full payload, that's actually what got me started doing them, more out of necessity than anything else but I liked the results so I've just stuck with it. Each to their own though, I'll keep an eye out for future literature on the subject, so long as it applies to the homebrew scale because pro brewing is a whole other thing that isn't always directly comparable!

@KegLand-com-au

Can you take a close up photo of how you're connecting the aligator clips of the Cannular cable to the AEG battery? Looking at mine, the charging ports/plastic clips block access to the terminals.

Are the KL02172 plastic regulators ever coming back? Been looking to rework my water filter setup to be a bit less finicky...

@KegLand-com-au

Can you take a close up photo of how you're connecting the aligator clips of the Cannular cable to the AEG battery? Looking at mine, the charging ports/plastic clips block access to the terminals.
I'd say the alligator clips are not connected directly to the battery terminals, but to some sort of metallic strip which then slots into the terminals. Something like paper clips might do the job.
Have a look at the AEG charger contacts and see if you can find something similar.

@KegLand-com-au

I'd say the alligator clips are not connected directly to the battery terminals, but to some sort of metallic strip which then slots into the terminals. Something like paper clips might do the job.
Have a look at the AEG charger contacts and see if you can find something similar.

Nevermind, my 9A batteries have the terminals at the front. Can hook the clips right onto it, works really well.

@KegLand-com-au

If you look closely at the AEG battery you will see the negative and positive terminal. It seems to be in the injection moulding of the battery. The good thing about the AEG batteries is that they also seem to have the sensitive electronics in the battery that prevent limit the battery getting too flat or drawing too much current. So this protects the battery from getting damaged. I can take a photo tomorrow if you like.

After a 2.6 kg co2 gas cylinder, looking up the usual suspects for the best offer was bamboozled by this on KL website.
A 2.6 gas cylinder ready to fill cost $73. Keg King a 2.6 gas cylinder full $74.95. One wouldn't need many guesses where I ordered from. Whats with the empty cylinders, and why doesnt Australia Post want to transport an empty cylinder?
https://www.kegland.com.au/co2-gas-cylinders-2-6kg-full.html

After a 2.6 kg co2 gas cylinder, looking up the usual suspects for the best offer was bamboozled by this on KL website.
A 2.6 gas cylinder ready to fill cost $73. Keg King a 2.6 gas cylinder full $74.95. One wouldn't need many guesses where I ordered from. Whats with the empty cylinders, and why doesnt Australia Post want to transport an empty cylinder?
https://www.kegland.com.au/co2-gas-cylinders-2-6kg-full.html
WT! That's just bizarre, but so is the 25% increase in the cannular, bit of a cash grab on an exclusive item I'm thinking. Will be interesting to see how if they come down when others start selling them.

Back