Keggle elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pist

Reaction score
Hey all,

Was toying with the idea of adding herms to my biab setup but have decided reducing my batch size and going direct fire electric is probably a better solution.
Has installed 2x of the keg king 2200W elements in their keggle? Reason for going the KK elements is they are ready to go out of the box. Feel the 2200W will be a bit weak, so considering putting 2 of them in. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I have two and I find it boils too hard for me, at least to have on constantly. So one gets switched off now and then. Struggled to get a seal but used a little silicone on the outer nut. If you want a rocking boil they'll work a treat.

Mine cross over in the middle of the pot with half an inch clearance between the two elements

Have you got any pics droid? Just trying to nut out how i would install them if i went this way

Maheel said:
with some electrician help you could build a VSSR boil controller to back off the 2nd element for a less vigorous boil.

the below is the sort of thing you would need (and some extra parts) its a phase angle control type module

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lamp-Dimmer-Control-KYOTTO-Solid-State-Variable-Relay-KR2040AX-40A-/181343168956?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275
Doesn't keg king sell something off the shelf that does that? Used for distilling.

I had the same issues with the boil being too vigorous, and was considering getting one.

^yep they sell a power controller for about $20, I have one but haven't wired it up, guess you could buy a junction box and fit it to that

DSC_0410.JPG
the nuts are on backwards because one of them was hitting the bottom rib / roller / sticky outy bit that the kegs are rolled around on, when put on backwards it fitted and i like symmetry...so th eother one got the same treatment...
DSC_0411.JPG
DSC_0412.JPG
DSC_0413.JPG

any Q's fire away

MAX POWER said:
Doesn't keg king sell something off the shelf that does that? Used for distilling.

I had the same issues with the boil being too vigorous, and was considering getting one.
probable do sell one
there are a few different versions / ways, some cheap ebay types, and of course more $$ ones
i have a few different types and all have worked well just consider if you need a heat sink and cooling fan for the controller if you use
one.

i have let the magic blue smoke out of the very cheap ebay ones a few times (overheating i reckon)

does the Keg King power control chip need a heat sink? and i guess it needs to be mounted in an enclosure?

http://kegking.com.au/measurement-control/power-controller-chip.html

i had a look at this one and IMO it really does need an enclosure
i would be making a box with a pc cooling fan to ensure it stays cool
look like it triac based and has a small heatsink
but a cool breeze on a hot brew day is always nice :)

i like to use a 240V server fan so i dont need to worry about a power converter for a pc fan in the box

Dazzbrew said:
does the Keg King power control chip need a heat sink? and i guess it needs to be mounted in an enclosure?

Maheel, could I use an enclosure like a junction box, fit it in one side, heat sink on the other side and cut some slots on one other side for the fan, having the fan inside the enclosure type thing

I put 2 of these in a keggle i built for a mate. Very low profile and they seal up really easily. I put a controller on one as 2 going at once was too much for the boil. I put them underneath to keep the wires out of reach. The height sits under the bottom weld line. Ive only done 4 brews on it so i vant vouch for reliability but they are only $15 each.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331639754995

Have you looked at using RIMS rather than HERMS? it could be a cheaper more viable option.
I've played around with the KK type and yeah they get too hot in an enclosure alone. I stick to the VSSR with a potentiometer now, if you go solid state try buy one that comes with the pot and heat sink, you will still want to install a fan. For more info on the phase angle control set up and design google stilldragon control.

Latest posts

Back