Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome Ravs! Any chance of a shot of the inside with a keg in for reference??

Cheers

Awesome Ravs! Any chance of a shot of the inside with a keg in for reference??

Ask an ye shall receive... :icon_cheers:

DSCN4594.JPG

DSCN4595.JPG

:icon_drool2: very nice..should make a few and sell

A fellow brewer got hold of a few lengths of the pipe (I think we all owe him a few beers supplying the offcut lengths for nix), so hopefully there will be 8 or so of these floating around at various SA case swaps, but at 300mm diameter it is not cheap stuff when bought as I understand.

Thanks mate! Now, to source some storm water pipe from the plumbers at work...

:)

Cheers!

No worries. The lid I ended up dowelling and gluing two pieces of pine together, as I wanted a solid lid and of course all timber places near me only had 290mm max width. I needed 350mm.

Lid shouldn't be a problem here hopefully, we've got carpenters as well, and if not, I'm pretty good shot with the jigsaw :)

Cheers

Still researching.

The possibilities are endless.

I really like this one: http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board/showt...3694&page=1 but perhaps on a smaller scale.
Tiling isn't all that expensive or difficult, especially using large tiles that don't require cutting) and I think this one looks great.
Also thinking that a nice kitchen dresser, rolltop desk, or similar could be used, the freezer / fridge installed in the base, and ideally the taps behind a door. All closed up it would just look like a piece of furniture, but once the doors were open it would reveal it's true function, as well as providing storage for glassware etc.

Jumping the gun I suppose. I should just get a "basic" system up and running, then "dress it up" later on.
Well, doesn't hurt to dream...

that really is a magnificant set-up...
http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board/showt...3694&page=1

nice setup raven, inspiring.
what did you use for the base?

nice setup raven, inspiring.
what did you use for the base?

Thanks, the base was a piece of plastic 300mm round, about an inch thick. Slipped inside snugly then a number of screws fixed it inplace along with some sealant also.

It has 3 stoppers on the base so its stable on almost any surface too.

Finished my porta-keg this arvo.

300mm dia PVC stormwater pipe as the body, timber top and a few other bits and bobs.

Hopefully we will have a number of these all lined up at Nationals in a few weeks time in Adelaide.

Fits a 19L or 9L corny no worries.

Use a mini Gas Charger and some ice. Easy!

View attachment 48991

View attachment 48992

Hooray for me... i have 3 plumbers in the family. :super: surely 1 of them could be convinced to give a bit of 300 pipe.

Awesome portable Raven. have you thought of sitting it on one of those pot trolleys available from bunnings? Would add another level of portability

gardena_round_pot_trolley_product.jpg

Speaking of keg setups, I needed to go to the Balcatta tip over the weekend and noticed they have a big recycling area - like a massive swap meet. Heaps of old fridges/freezer that could be used for keggerators and other useful brew gear. No idea if any of it is working.

Finished my porta-keg this arvo.

300mm dia PVC stormwater pipe as the body, timber top and a few other bits and bobs.

Hopefully we will have a number of these all lined up at Nationals in a few weeks time in Adelaide.

Fits a 19L or 9L corny no worries.

Use a mini Gas Charger and some ice. Easy!

View attachment 48991

View attachment 48992

Just a quick thought...if you're filling with ice to cool the keg, any way of draining from the bottom?

You said it was all sealed up inside so the thought of lifting/tipping over the whole thing to empty out melted ice may be a bit heavy and/or scratch up the outside of your lovely tube.

Is there anyway you could drill in a hole for a bung or concealed tap in the base or some such thing to make that part of it easier? :icon_cheers:

Re wheel base - the plan for case swaps, etc is to bring the sack truck, as I need to also bring 2 milk crates of longnecks, etc. But its a good idea! (edit)

Drainage - yeah contemplate a bung, but a small amount of ice will keep it cool, and as the keg gets drained it becomes lighter so balances extra ice being added. Also if the bung dole not seal then I have a leaking porta-keg possibly on someones floor if inside.

Re wheel base - the plan for case swaps, etc is to bring the sack truck, as I need to also bring 2 milk crates of longnecks, etc. But its a good idea! (edit)

Drainage - yeah contemplate a bung, but a small amount of ice will keep it cool, and as the keg gets drained it becomes lighter so balances extra ice being added. Also if the bung dole not seal then I have a leaking porta-keg possibly on someones floor if inside.

One of the issues I have with my portable keg setup is as the keg empties it floats up as the ice melts! I fix this with a Bungie cord. You may want to consider some sortof restraining device to keep the keg down

Back