Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well just got the first part of my setup done. Was a pain in the arse getting it all together in the past couple of days. Had issues with the bottle and then one of the kegs I got wasn't sealing so I had to wash another keg and transfer. While carbonating Dad and I drilled and installed the taps. Due to the molding inside I'll be going with to pairs on either side of the door, couldn't do 4 spaced evenly from the centre. Fridge was an eBay bargain at $200. Fits 5 kegs if I put the gas outside. Nice to have use of the freezer too!

Taps.jpg

Inside.jpg

Front.jpg

Keen for the first pour! Have a late hopped pale ale in one. Big load of Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo in the last 5 mins. Samples from the fermenter smelt of peaches. Lovely. IPA in the other keg.

Well just got the first part of my setup done. Was a pain in the arse getting it all together in the past couple of days. Had issues with the bottle and then one of the kegs I got wasn't sealing so I had to wash another keg and transfer. While carbonating Dad and I drilled and installed the taps. Due to the molding inside I'll be going with to pairs on either side of the door, couldn't do 4 spaced evenly from the centre. Fridge was an eBay bargain at $200. Fits 5 kegs if I put the gas outside. Nice to have use of the freezer too!

Taps.jpg

Inside.jpg

Front.jpg

Keen for the first pour! Have a late hopped pale ale in one. Big load of Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo in the last 5 mins. Samples from the fermenter smelt of peaches. Lovely. IPA in the other keg.

That looks impressive. We have something similar...
:icon_chickcheers:
Cheers,
J

Inside.jpg

Nice fridge! (I like how the freezer is on the bottom so your taps up are up higher yet still have somewhere to store hops etc)

What is the consensus on putting the gas bottle in the fridge? I have heard from a couple of people that condensation can effect the regulator in there but have never actually tried.

Nice fridge! (I like how the freezer is on the bottom so your taps up are up higher yet still have somewhere to store hops etc)

What is the consensus on putting the gas bottle in the fridge? I have heard from a couple of people that condensation can effect the regulator in there but have never actually tried.

Yeah it's fantastic, taps end up at a good height. I'm trying to build up the confidence to drill a hole in the side of the fridge to put the gas through. 1) to get the bottle out of there and 2) ONE MORE KEG!

Beer on tap at home is awesome...even when it's half carbonated. :lol:

I have been working for a few weekends on my little project and finished a few weeks ago now and am happy with the result.... only problem is I can't work out how to post larger photos from the Flickr website

320L Westinghouse Freezer. Holds 6 kegs + 2 on the hump.

6139299504_e04306f9b4_m.jpg
6139300230_8629d68c0c_m.jpg

Made a trolley out of ply board with 75mm lockable castors to manouvour it and provide some height

6138741537_a0f7de4c0e_m.jpg
6138740555_c0b5ee95d8_m.jpg

19mm collar slap a bit of varnish on and drill a few holes

6139293152_b98b267eb7_m.jpg
6138745369_d8ef851619_m.jpg

The forum now tells me I have posted too many images so will create another post for the rest.

So handy if you know a good cabinet maker with the right tools

6139305298_a87b499a09_m.jpg

Fix the dents and splash on some paint.....

6138746289_af03e24bcc_m.jpg
6138747319_f028e8a9f3_m.jpg

Buy a SS Celli or 2 (thanks Ross) and end up with.....

6139311666_40d02238ff_m.jpg
6138762479_376181c597_m.jpg

I have the Keg King fridge behind... you can just make out the font and after using this for the first time a week ago, I would certainly recommend a keezer over the KK. However, it did take a little while to complete but I'm happy with it.

I haven't taken pictures of the completed inside yet but have wired a 12v PC fan to a phone charger and micro switch. This is powered by an STC1000 temp controller that I have wired with a 240v mains outlet on the side. It also has 1 x 6 way and a 1 x 2 way gas manifold on a dual regulator. I wanted the 2 manifolds obviously to give a bigger choice running different pressures. It is running 6mmID gas lines and has 5mmID x 50cm long beer lines.

There is a CPBF being added at Xmas which I will mount to the right of the taps and I am yet to get a drip tray but that is no big deal at the moment. Therefore, this won't be finished properly now until just after Xmas so will post the finished product sometime then :party: :beer:

To be honest I don't know if 3 cellis would fit that font. You would be better off to ring Ross and ask him.

I have been working for a few weekends on my little project and finished a few weeks ago now and am happy with the result.... only problem is I can't work out how to post larger photos from the Flickr website

Cracking setup Amber!

You can always upload photos thru the attachment section at the bottom of the reply box.

Great news.
SWMBO has given approval!
Better still, after seeing some of the great setups on this thread she says I can have it inside. :)
I'm thinking something to hold and serve 3-4 kegs, so small enough to easily move outside for BBq's etc.
There are a couple of conditions though.

1) She likes the look of top mounted fonts rather than front mounted taps. No biggie. I prefer that look too, but I realise the front mounted taps have their own advantages in practicality and simplicity. Cost too...
2) I have to do "No beer November". This will not be fun, but it should give me a chance to get some kegs filled.
3) I am "allowed" a kegerator. But from my reading a chest freezer, with collar if needed, is more energy efficient? Also, seems silly to pay freight on a kegerator from site sponsor all the way up in QLD when I can get a chesty locally. (Will be scouring gumtree etc.) I do have a chest freezer for fermenting that would fit 4 cornies (with a collar) but I don't really want to loose fermenting space, so that may be used initially (probably won't bother with a collar - will fit 2 kegs, and a jerrycan (for conditioning) without) until I find another one.

There are also 1001 questions...
Have read through 91 pages of this thread.
Reckon I'll be phoning Ross next week for a chat.
And more reading...

Question for you guys though.
If you were starting kegging from scratch, what gear would you buy? What would you avoid?

Yeah it's fantastic, taps end up at a good height. I'm trying to build up the confidence to drill a hole in the side of the fridge to put the gas through. 1) to get the bottle out of there and 2) ONE MORE KEG!

Beer on tap at home is awesome...even when it's half carbonated. :lol:

hi mate, 2 ways to do the gas.

1/ bring it out through the door as per taps. if asthetics don't mind.
2/ drill a hole in the bottom corner of the door and only you shall know it's there.

deebo, i used to have the bottle in the fridge until getting more kegs, and reg is still going strong.

+1 for february (maybe not)

So handy if you know a good cabinet maker with the right tools

6139305298_a87b499a09_m.jpg

Fix the dents and splash on some paint.....

6138746289_af03e24bcc_m.jpg
6138747319_f028e8a9f3_m.jpg

Buy a SS Celli or 2 (thanks Ross) and end up with.....

6139311666_40d02238ff_m.jpg
6138762479_376181c597_m.jpg

I have the Keg King fridge behind... you can just make out the font and after using this for the first time a week ago, I would certainly recommend a keezer over the KK. However, it did take a little while to complete but I'm happy with it.

I haven't taken pictures of the completed inside yet but have wired a 12v PC fan to a phone charger and micro switch. This is powered by an STC1000 temp controller that I have wired with a 240v mains outlet on the side. It also has 1 x 6 way and a 1 x 2 way gas manifold on a dual regulator. I wanted the 2 manifolds obviously to give a bigger choice running different pressures. It is running 6mmID gas lines and has 5mmID x 50cm long beer lines.

There is a CPBF being added at Xmas which I will mount to the right of the taps and I am yet to get a drip tray but that is no big deal at the moment. Therefore, this won't be finished properly now until just after Xmas so will post the finished product sometime then :party: :beer:

Looks like Obelix!

Awesome setup mate.

Still researching.

The possibilities are endless.

I really like this one: http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board/showt...3694&page=1 but perhaps on a smaller scale.
Tiling isn't all that expensive or difficult, especially using large tiles that don't require cutting) and I think this one looks great.
Also thinking that a nice kitchen dresser, rolltop desk, or similar could be used, the freezer / fridge installed in the base, and ideally the taps behind a door. All closed up it would just look like a piece of furniture, but once the doors were open it would reveal it's true function, as well as providing storage for glassware etc.

Jumping the gun I suppose. I should just get a "basic" system up and running, then "dress it up" later on.
Well, doesn't hurt to dream...

Finished my porta-keg this arvo.

300mm dia PVC stormwater pipe as the body, timber top and a few other bits and bobs.

Hopefully we will have a number of these all lined up at Nationals in a few weeks time in Adelaide.

Fits a 19L or 9L corny no worries.

Use a mini Gas Charger and some ice. Easy!

DSCN4591.JPG

DSCN4593.JPG

Back