Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with the cheap chinese chest freezer - as on page 89.

For the record, it does fit 6 cornies easily. it's on casters as a bonus. would have preferred a cheap 2nd hand one but gave up waiting on anything to appear after weeks of waiting. would also have preferred a F&P H275X/276X but that was double the price to my door.

It is quite high, going to be a workout getting full cornies over the collar.

Here's some shots, next step is a collar. How are you all securing the collar to the freezer? i was thinking of either a full overlap all the way round so the collar hangs over the freezer (neater), or just using little tabs of wood here and there to have the same outcome (easier.)
Some of the ones I looked at on here look like they just sit on the freezer without being attached?

Just be careful with those measurements. Wouldn't be surprised if they're actually outside dimension measurements.... If not, go for it. Nice price :)

Cheers

Those dimensions do equate to 165 litre capacity.

Quick question for those with kegerators...

Does 1.5m of 5mm beer line sound way too short? I've plugged the numbers into the spreadsheet & it recommends even shorter (1.35) for 6C serving temp & 2.5 C02 / L, but most other posts I've read people have 2.5, 3 even 4m of line!

i've got 2 meters of 5mm and i still think it's a little short
i made a flow restrictor which helps a little, but i think i may end up buying another 3 meter piece to replace what i've already got

I followed that sheet to and it recommended 1.5m.

I have 2 taps running 3m of 5mm now as that is what I found to be best

Quick question for those with kegerators...

Does 1.5m of 5mm beer line sound way too short? I've plugged the numbers into the spreadsheet & it recommends even shorter (1.35) for 6C serving temp & 2.5 C02 / L, but most other posts I've read people have 2.5, 3 even 4m of line!
All depends on what sort of taps you have.
I have Cellis, my shortest line wouldn't even be that long and my longest might be 1.5m at most, the flow restrictor takes care of everything.
I can't speak for other taps but that's that will drive the answer. A good flow restrictor means you can get away with much less line.

Time to do my reveal of my upgrade from Keg fridge to Keezer, nothing out of the ordinary:

Collar is just pine, had grander plans that Bunnings soon squashed :)

Used a a layer of Weatherstrip above/below collar to seat on freezer/under lid. Lid just reattached to collar, nice sprung hinges mean the lid still stays in position when open.
Added a computer fan to move the air round in there. Blackboard paint on the front was only $15 a tin. Freezer has built-in temp control is a bonus.
Fits 6 cornies with ease, freezer is a $299 eBay one, link earlier in this thread. Taps are Perlicks on 4" shanks, JG fittings FTW, hate those barbs.
Just got to stick my JG gas manifold in and I'm done.
I've also taken to racking beer directly into kegs in freezer to save lifting them over the collar.
The random polystyrene inside is leftover from other packages, just jammed it in there, doubt it makes too much difference, a thicker collar would have been nicer.

All in all very happy with the outcome, feel like it is $500-odd better spent than on a purpose-built Kegerator.

610869639274dd16a6ee.jpg
61081449119d5c1bfc9c.jpg
61081459033d2e6a3829.jpg
6108146365a64cc99320.jpg
6108147435a70d5fc5e7.jpg

6108694888a64eed38c8.jpg

doesnt look like that fridge would fit the cornies without a collar?

Also do you have a link to that model freezer, i found some but look like they have a different temperature controller.

Very nice HSB. I am in the process of finishing my new keezer upgrade as well. Just waiting on a few supplies now.

The collar I made is only from 19mm wide timber but I don't think that will really hinder anything, if anything makes it less bulky imo. I don't think the added thickness in a collar will cause a great deal of difference in the temps to worry a great deal about especially when using a fan as well.

Very nice indeed.
I have recently bought myself 4 of the same taps with the intention of building something similar.
Seems like you are keeping one step ahead ;) .

Mate

just made this little set up for my dad:

P9160058.JPG P9160059.JPG

had to cut the handle off the keg to fit under the thermostat but its a decent little set up for him.
early christmas present

Thinking about getting into kegging, it's quite an expense, even if I just hire the CO2 bottle to begin with, so I want to "get it right".
I want something that looks good, is easy to set up, and works "out of the box". A degree of mobility, while not essential, would be a plus.
This looks like a good start: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Double-Tap...po%3D%26ps%3D63 as it comes with (as far as I can tell) everything except the kegs, the CO2 and the ball lock disconnects.
Am I right in thinking all I need to get separately if I get this is kegs, the CO2 and the ball lock disconnects?
Anyone else bought from this supplier? Anyone have same product from elsewhere? A good buy, or is it all crap that I'd end up replacing?

seems like a good setup. But some one here surely has bought one. I know some people got the cheap ones on ebay and they had a few problems. It says its a keg king brand and they do have them on there site (HERE). Again have never used any of there gear so some one should be able to help as I would say all the taps, lines and reg will be from them.

Yes all you will need is 2-3 beer d/c and 2-3 gas d/c and a source of c02

Edit oh and kegs ;) lol wont get far without them .

Thinking about getting into kegging, it's quite an expense, even if I just hire the CO2 bottle to begin with, so I want to "get it right".
I want something that looks good, is easy to set up, and works "out of the box". A degree of mobility, while not essential, would be a plus.
This looks like a good start: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Double-Tap...po%3D%26ps%3D63 as it comes with (as far as I can tell) everything except the kegs, the CO2 and the ball lock disconnects.
Am I right in thinking all I need to get separately if I get this is kegs, the CO2 and the ball lock disconnects?
Anyone else bought from this supplier? Anyone have same product from elsewhere? A good buy, or is it all crap that I'd end up replacing?

:icon_offtopic: I have the same one. You will need a NRV, disconnects and gas line. If you wish to run a 3rd gas line then you will need another splitter. I reckon I will be selling mine shortly when I have completed my keezer. It will come with 4 disconnects (2 liquid + 2 gas), 1 NRV and the extra gas line splitter for $490 (gas bottle not included) but I'm in Hobart and don't really fancy arranging freight. I got it last January so it is 9 months old and if you are down this way anytime, feel free to drop in to see it working :icon_cheers:

HSB, is the compressor underneath the floor? If so how much distance between outside and inside bottom of the freezer?

Having no hump is awesome, and that's a great price. Shame you need a collar though considering that not having to use a collar would be the main advantage of having a freezer that holds 6 on the floor.

I have the same one to. it works great. the font and taps are pretty dodgy but i've never had problems with them. have just heard stories..

I will be upgrading to a three tap system soon. hopefully with perlicks.

HSB, is the compressor underneath the floor? If so how much distance between outside and inside bottom of the freezer?

Having no hump is awesome, and that's a great price. Shame you need a collar though considering that not having to use a collar would be the main advantage of having a freezer that holds 6 on the floor.
Id guesstimate 20cm from freezer floor to actual floor, the compressor being somewhere under there.
Too short for no collar as you say, a shame, but still more convenient having a flat floor in there, i went with that freezer for price and footprint - still small for a 6 keg. Floor space is a big issue for me,
My collar is 20cm which leaves a lot of room for lines, regulator etc, could probably have gone a bit lower.
The built in thermostat is another plus with that model.
Am loving having a keezer. Now working hard to fill it, bit like trying to fill a bath with the plug out, i pour beer in but its leaking from somewhere! ;)

Retired my old single tap and beer gun fridge to be a fermenting fridge and hooked up this one to be keg fridge today

View attachment 47502
View attachment 47503

Things I still want to do:
Drip Tray
Magnetic Blackboard or Whiteboard
Sort out my mess of beer lines
Perhaps mount the gas manifold somehow
Figure out a better support for the kegs while leaving the bottom pull out tray for yeasts etc. I'm not sure how long that glass shelf will support 4 kegs for, I am just being very careful when moving kegs at the moment.
Hey Deebo,

What model fridge is that one - looks exactly what I want to do.

Cheers
Rob

Latest posts

Back