Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dicko said:
Just be careful with that type of reg.
Some of them just dump the excess to atmosphere when they compensate for high pressure...or at least the one that I had did that as they are designed for use on a compressor where it doesn't matter if the air is expelled to the surrounds.
Hi dicko, I am looking into using something along these lines as a secondary regulator, but know nothing about them. Would you mind explaining what you mean here a little bit more? As I understand things (which means next to nothing), you set the desired pressure for the device (in this case, your keg) on the "out side" of the regulator and it lets air (or for us CO2) through until the back pressure from the keg reaches your setpoint. At that point, it stops letting more CO2 through. But if I understand your comment, these types of valves don't stop letting CO2 through, they just shunt it out into the atmosphere as opposed to completely stopping the flow. Is that what you mean? If so, you'll drain your gas bottle in not time at all!

thanks for clarification.

matto

Here's my setup. Finished it a few months ago. Very happy so far.

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

Tim

Mb, what he means is that lets say you set the regulator to 100kpa and pump up the keg, then drop the pressure on the regulator to 20kpa. The regulator will bleed the extra pressure from the keg until it reaches 20kpa. Not from the gas bottle. AFAIK micromatic regs do this too.

Othe regulators without this 'feature' won't bleed a keg off to desired pressure but just hold pressure setting as it is.
One thing though, a non return valve will also block a pressure drop to the regulator from the keg.

mb-squared said:
Hi dicko, I am looking into using something along these lines as a secondary regulator, but know nothing about them. Would you mind explaining what you mean here a little bit more? As I understand things (which means next to nothing), you set the desired pressure for the device (in this case, your keg) on the "out side" of the regulator and it lets air (or for us CO2) through until the back pressure from the keg reaches your setpoint. At that point, it stops letting more CO2 through. But if I understand your comment, these types of valves don't stop letting CO2 through, they just shunt it out into the atmosphere as opposed to completely stopping the flow. Is that what you mean? If so, you'll drain your gas bottle in not time at all!

thanks for clarification.

matto
practicalfool said:
Mb, what he means is that lets say you set the regulator to 100kpa and pump up the keg, then drop the pressure on the regulator to 20kpa. The regulator will bleed the extra pressure from the keg until it reaches 20kpa. Not from the gas bottle. AFAIK micromatic regs do this too.
Othe regulators without this 'feature' won't bleed a keg off to desired pressure but just hold pressure setting as it is.
One thing though, a non return valve will also block a pressure drop to the regulator from the keg.
I had the idea on using a regulator similar to the one linked above and that is exactly what happened.
I cant comment on using a non return valve as I didn't try it that way.
Personally I would just buy the correct regulator as the one I tried ended up in that box of useless beer paraphernalia that most of us brewers end up with. :)

Hi all, I'm Jye, this is my setup. It evolved over time and just got big. Always adding too it I find and it will probably never be finished. Anyways,it holds 5 kegs. Thinking of 1 more tap for beer, then maybe one for a lemonade or something? Anything is possible from here....It may even fly one day. :D

1397470019125.jpg

1397470044717.jpg

CharlestownBrewCo said:
Hi all, I'm Jye, this is my setup. It evolved over time and just got big. Always adding too it I find and it will probably never be finished. Anyways,it holds 5 kegs. Thinking of 1 more tap for beer, then maybe one for a lemonade or something? Anything is possible from here....It may even fly one day. :D
hi Jye, I'm loving that drip tray. did you make it? if you bought it, where? me want :)

Love it jye. If I had that setup I'd pray I never dropped any barley sugars on the driptray or I'd probably end up aiming for them!

Cheers everyone, like I said I'm happy with it. Good cold beer mmmmm.... With regards to the drip tray, I picked it up from a pub. A mate of mine got it for me. Just so happened to be near perfect size.

Just bought my freezer today. Decided that bigger was better than smaller so I ended up with a 300ltr chest freezer for $410 will easily fit 6 kegs with room on the hump aswell.

Might take a couple of weeks to get it how I want it but I'm slightly excited. Going to be rocking 5 perlicks flow control taps in stainless steel. Fingers crossed we get kegs next weekend from the bulk buy.

Looks good except I think your beers won't sit on those vertical bars very well. You should make them all horizontal..;-)

Really nice bar setup you've got there... It's similar to what I'm envisaging for my garage that we never park cars in, but I'd also add a TV.

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on pimping it all out with a bar + tv etc though because it'd always just be me out there on my own. Not that that's a bad thing but I couldn't justify the expense, and if it's just me I don't mind walking outside during the footy/cricket/whatever to grab myself a beer using my bronco taps. The other alternative is not being anti-social and getting myself some mates and then inviting them to come over...

Is that something you blokes with nice bar/kegging setups find - that you end up hosting more events once you have the area set up?

Yob said:
Build it and they will come... The issue is really getting rid of the bastards ;)
Too true.

I keep sessions to a minimum these days because pretty much all of my mates literally never leave... at least until
  • The sun comes up
  • the beer runs out
whichever comes first.

I plan sessions on the nights I know people have to go out to another event
ie sport, other parties etc...

My bar would have been impossible 10 years ago. I would have had to brew triple batches every weekend to keep up with demand.

kezza said:
and some more

for some reason i cant rotate the pics
Hey kezza, with that chest freezer have you run it for kegs at all yet? If so do you get any condensation build up inside?

Latest posts

Back