Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my chest freezer conversion, did have one tap out of a fridge but now upgrade :D

Running in at approx 130kwh per year this costs approx $21 a year to run (based on $0.16 per kwh)

001.JPG
fishies and beer

002.JPG

003.JPG
inside#1

004.JPG
inside#2

005.JPG
taps

006.JPG
taps

007.JPG
how the collars attached

<3 clint

This is my chest freezer conversion, did have one tap out of a fridge but now upgrade :D

Running in at approx 130kwh per year this costs approx $21 a year to run (based on $0.16 per kwh)
Looking good Clint. How did you get that 130kwh per year? This information could be exactly what I need to convince SWMBO, I need another. :p

How big the freezer, how many kegs will it hold?

Ditto. I'm finishing uni this year and top of my list for new toys is a chest freezer set-up, be interested to see what size freezers hold different numbers of kegs. I'm looking at about four to six taps

Cheers

Dave

this is the 200L homemaker model from kmart, i picked it up at $300, it will hold 5 kegs (6 would be a real struggle but maybe possible), the collar on there atm is not high enough for a keg to sit on the compressor hump, so as it is this set up will hold 4 only (with none on the hump). hence why i have spots for 4 taps instead of 5.

to measure the wattage etc i picked up one of those watt meters, they are around $35-40 from jaycar and i think ross also sells them. There is a thread on this somewhere in these forums. (chest freezer > fridge :p)

Ditto. I'm finishing uni this year and top of my list for new toys is a chest freezer set-up, be interested to see what size freezers hold different numbers of kegs. I'm looking at about four to six taps
Mine is a Centrex (now out of business) 200L. Without a collar, it will hold 4, with a collar of the appropriate height, 6.

linky: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=15543

edit: clarification

Thanks Clint. Any idea what they cost to run the way they were intended (as a freezer)?

by the number on the sticker its supposed to be 347kwh/year (when running at freezer temps) which is still more efficient than most household fridges lol

347 x $0.16 = $55.52 a year at freezer temps

edit: grammer

Got around to finishing my setup, Still have to add another couple taps to this baby.

kegfridge.JPG

Got around to taking some photo's the other day. It's my first post so here goes.

101_0453.jpg
Take off of a few ideas on the forum and something I saw on the web.
The bar top has a durable finish, built up at the edge with timber to
accomodate plain old Ali angle banding. The top is fixed to the freezer lid
with ali angle and the font is screwed tight to the top with a hole cut big enough
in the freezer lid to allow access.

101_0441.jpg
Can fit 3 kegs and the gas bottle -no collar required (F&P 210ltr freezer I think?)
The internal light has been removed and the recess houses the computer fan.
The power for the fan is a mobile phone charger pack and the cable has been pulled
through the insulation in the lid. No messy wires or fan in the way. Fan still works a
treat and cycles when the fridgemate kicks in. The font pump I turn on manually (wall switch nearby)
before a jug pour to reduce foaming and turn off when the pours finished.
This way I find I dont have to worry too much about water recovery temps/ font as a heat sink etc.

101_0448.jpg
Fridgemate out of spills way.

101_0455.jpg
The base the freezer sits on. Made from bent exhaust pipe, welded gussets and trolley wheels
(two fixed and two rotate) help make moving freezer away from the wall easier and steering from one
place to another. Surprisingly strong and hasn't twisted out of shape, courtesy of the local exhaust shop.

Cheers to all those posts documenting members trials and tribulations for us newbies. It's testament to good old Aussie ingenuity & spirit to spread the good word.

Vass

Got around to taking some photo's the other day. It's my first post so here goes.

View attachment 19714
Take off of a few ideas on the forum and something I saw on the web.
The bar top has a durable finish, built up at the edge with timber to
accomodate plain old Ali angle banding. The top is fixed to the freezer lid
with ali angle and the font is screwed tight to the top with a hole cut big enough
in the freezer lid to allow access.

View attachment 19715
Can fit 3 kegs and the gas bottle -no collar required (F&P 210ltr freezer I think?)
The internal light has been removed and the recess houses the computer fan.
The power for the fan is a mobile phone charger pack and the cable has been pulled
through the insulation in the lid. No messy wires or fan in the way. Fan still works a
treat and cycles when the fridgemate kicks in. The font pump I turn on manually (wall switch nearby)
before a jug pour to reduce foaming and turn off when the pours finished.
This way I find I dont have to worry too much about water recovery temps/ font as a heat sink etc.

View attachment 19717
Fridgemate out of spills way.

View attachment 19719
The base the freezer sits on. Made from bent exhaust pipe, welded gussets and trolley wheels
(two fixed and two rotate) help make moving freezer away from the wall easier and steering from one
place to another. Surprisingly strong and hasn't twisted out of shape, courtesy of the local exhaust shop.

Cheers to all those posts documenting members trials and tribulations for us newbies. It's testament to good old Aussie ingenuity & spirit to spread the good word.

Vass

Thats looking nice Vass, it's exactly what my next project will be.
Well done and thanks for the idea's.

Loc :icon_cheers:

Just wondering why you have joiners in the beer line so close to the end?

Just wondering why you have joiners in the beer line so close to the end?

Hi Paul, had enough length provided with the font and all pours OK

Vass

Should add the line provided for the font is 4mm and for the quick connects it 6mm

Nice work Vass. Just wondering where the fan is drawing air from, and where it's going?

Thanks Bonj

The flow is downward and it seems to draw from the the side of the light shroud that is cut away. The recess is also concave in shape. Despite it being restricted it seems to do the job. I guess we are not talking thousands of litres of air. It's been up and running since Aug last year and haven't done the fan or transformer yet.

Hope the photos shows?

Vass

101_0463.JPG, 101_0462.JPG

Thanks Bonj

The flow is downward and it seems to draw from the the side of the light shroud that is cut away. The recess is also concave in shape. Despite it being restricted it seems to do the job. I guess we are not talking thousands of litres of air. It's been up and running since Aug last year and haven't done the fan or transformer yet.

Hope the photos shows?

Vass

View attachment 19723, View attachment 19724

Ahh neat. Yeah, from the first photo it looked a bit difficult for the air to draw in. You're doing well having the one fan since August. I've killed two already, but mine haven't been mounted in a neat little housing like that.... I'll have to think about bending up some more perspex.

Nice work Vass....looks great.

Cheers Ross

Just about finished my chest freezer conversion.
I have two 3 way gas manifolds, one for carbonating and one for dispensing.
Need to fit a fan (perhaps) and get the flooding for the font working.
Christening will happen over the next couple of days

100_3456.JPG

100_3455.JPG

Just about finished my chest freezer conversion.
I have two 3 way gas manifolds, one for carbonating and one for dispensing.
Need to fit a fan (perhaps) and get the flooding for the font working.
Christening will happen over the next couple of days

Looks good Reg. Where did you get the manifolds?

Regards

Graeme

Latest posts

Back