Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might remember Pat I use picnic taps on three kegs in my serving fridge. Fav party trick is to connect a clean tap (to clean I flick the tap lever to fully open and flush through from a keg containing some line cleaner, and hang them to air dry with the tap open, 9 times out of 10 I forget to shut the tap again) to a keg and fill my shirt, pockets and shoes with beer while chanting "F%^k, F%^k, F^&k", those taps are so hard to turn off in a panic :lol: Not sure if the chant has been passed to me subliminaly from some anchient brewing entity but it flows forth so readily I believe it to be a possibility. Am I possesed or simply pissed?

LOL, sorry I haven't had time to duck down for a beer or twenty yet, BUT, if you display that party trick for me, I WILL make it down. Will bring the camera too... ahem.... ;)

Cheers!

EDIT: If I need to, I might have to drive down to Bris on Wed. May have time for a quick stop in on the way back................... :)

Need to whack some pics up of my keg fridge for another thread so I suppose this is the thread.

My keg fridge is a Westinghouse upright freezer converted to fridge using BrissyBrew's temp controller.

All 6 kegs run through a manifold (from Ross) and out the one tap (great tap thanks doogiechap) as follows...

All connections including those to the manifold are quick-release fittings. Lines are kept in place with quick-release clips and the kegs are supported with 5mm thick aluminium shelves (thanks to doogie for that idea too) as per pic below...

The whole set-up is on a waterproof MDF base that can be slid easily.

This set-up has been great for me as it holds a lot of beer in a small footprint. Beer pours very nicely especially now I have a tap with flow-control to deal with that first little trickle of warm beer on the first beer.

Cheers
Pat

Pistol Patch has six kegs in his fridge,

Gee it looks ridgey didge.

I dont mind giving it a rap,

However the bloody thing has only got one tap.

PP you a Great bloke matey,

Whats all this helping Katie.?

The man who invented Brewing in the bag ,

I am still reading through that post like a forty page Mag .

Why not use a hundred words when you can use three,

PP did they never teach you at school Precis.

Spot Ya PP.

Pumpy ;)

Guys, I am getting a little excited here. My grand plan is finally coming together.
The old keg fridge has been sold. New kegs have been bought.
A 2 tap font has been sourced (thanks reg!), the taps and bits and pieces I am still deciding on but probably Andale Floryte taps. The chest freezer is being watched (eBay). PC fan and mashmaster temp control all set up and waiting. Black paint has been bought.
This is my final inspiration - Linky
Now I just need to get my hands on some cool tap handles!

Will post installation and final pics when all done.

DK
:D

P1220003.JPG

This is my keg fridge. It's an old commercial pepsi unit, which hurts because I'm a coke fan. I do take great pride in defiling it with beer, however. ;)

P1220004.JPG

Another view. 2 taps, 12 keg capacity with some room up top for a few bottles. The only thing I plan to change is the number of taps.

Love the way you have set up the old pepsi fridge. where did you get it and what sort of price did you pay for it if you done mind me asking. now that i have my all grain setup i am looking at getting into kegging now.

I cant decide if i should go the fridge or frezzer option, i know that freezers are cheaper to run but you cant normally get second hand ones as easy as you can get old fridges.

A friend of mine from the homebrew club is an HVAC/refrigeration-type guy and he used to work for pepsi doing all their refrigeration jobs. They'd give him old non-functioning units that he would recondition and sell. I got this one from him for $275. It had a brand new compressor at the time, which was 2 years ago. All things considered, I'd definitely get another one if given the chance. Prior to this, I had chest freezers only. I now prefer the commercial cooler.

Edit: If your local newspaper has a restaurant equipment classified section, watch it for coolers. They do come up in the classifieds (here anyway) every now & again.

View attachment 17340

This is my keg fridge. It's an old commercial pepsi unit, which hurts because I'm a coke fan. I do take great pride in defiling it with beer, however. ;)

View attachment 17341

Another view. 2 taps, 12 keg capacity with some room up top for a few bottles. The only thing I plan to change is the number of taps.

What size kegs are they Newguy?

eric

Eric,

They're standard 19l coke kegs.

FINALLY! (sorry for shouting)

ok, have actually had the kegs going for about a month, but just got the fridge tap in this evening. felt a bit ashamed having to open the door every time i wanted a beer and then pouring through a plastic tap :eek:

well thats all changed now, at least for half the time. one beer on tap on the fridge door, and the other on the picnic tap inside

lily_108a.jpg

have the door marked for two more taps already, but happy to use one for now. and still need to get a drip tray

lily_109a.jpg

lily_110a.jpg

the obligatory web of beer and gas lines

lily_111a.jpg

FINALLY! (sorry for shouting)

ok, have actually had the kegs going for about a month, but just got the fridge tap in this evening. felt a bit ashamed having to open the door every time i wanted a beer and then pouring through a plastic tap :eek:

Nice rig JoeCast! Ahh kegs. I love them. Almost as much as fire extinguishers!

I still pour through a bronco tap. :ph34r: and won't change in a hurry. Too warm outside where my fridge is.

InCider.

Nice rig JoeCast! Ahh kegs. I love them. Almost as much as fire extinguishers!

I still pour through a bronco tap. :ph34r: and won't change in a hurry. Too warm outside where my fridge is.

InCider.

doh! thanks InCider. knew i forgot something:

rented a cylinder and two days later a mate at work (volunteer fireman) brought this over. its a few years old, but man is it in good condition. just need to have the extinguisher guy check it out once my co2 starts getting low. woo-hoo!
Picture_011a.jpg

PIC00053.JPGPIC00057.JPGPIC00056.JPGView attachment 18004View attachment 18001[attac
hment=18002:pIC00057.JPG]

I recently changed to Beer Gas (gas with a nitrogen/co2 mix) for pouring my beers. It definately makes a difference for dark beers by giving them a creamier head and I believe a softer feel/taste.

I was so happy with the difference I poured one of each of my beers that I had on tap and took some photos of the beers and my setup. As you will see I am a real Coopers fan. I am not adverse to trying other brands but I find Coopers does me fine.

The beer I had on tap when I took the photo (last Saturday) were Coopers:

Original Stout/Dark Ale fermented together;
Original Dark Ale;
Orginal Bitter;
Pale Ale; and
Original Lager.

I generally mix my worts with a Coopers BE2 mix of 500g of dextrose, 250g dried light malt and 250g of maltrodextron and I find that my brews come out quite fine. I also add an additional 200 gms of dextrose to up the % of alcohol and only fill the fermenter up to 21 litres. I reckon my standard brews come out just over 5%.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

kirbsta

Looks good kirbsta. With your "beer gas" do you get the same mileage out of a bottle as you would just CO2? What's the cost like?

Cheers
-cdbrown

Also where would u go to get a fire extinguisher re-filled?

Got my freezer delivered today! Took it out of the box and butched it real good! I didnt really want to cut the cable for the light, but it was just quicker that way lol. Should have it all up and running once i get a fridgemate and decide how many taps i want on it :)

S4010055.jpg

S4010056.jpg

S4010057.jpg

S4010058.jpg

That looks great prawned. :super: Just make sure you don't short that cut light lead, and that it's insulated really well...

As for how many taps.... how many kegs does it fit? There's your answer :p
Actually, mine holds six, and I have 3 taps.

I think i can fit 5 in there, maybe 6... not too sure yet, will have to wait till i have some more moneys to buy another 4 from ross! :D I think 3 taps will be enough for me, can always upgrade to 5 later on :p Really hanging for my next beer to be ready, the first keg i had full lasted 3 days, i must of been thirsty or something!!

Latest posts

Back