Kegging - Have I Got This Right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazar

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]Hi AHB,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I have an extract brew fermenting away at the moment (8 days into fermentation using Nottingham) that I plan on crash chilling in the fermenter once it hits 14 days and then transfer to the keg after 2 or 3 days. As this will be my first time kegging a brew and I want to take baby steps I don’t really want to force carb so is it perfectly fine to keg the brew straight from cold conditioning, hook up the gas at serving pressure of approx. 10psi and leave it in the fridge at serving temp for a couple of weeks?[/SIZE]

I usually hold mine at .8bar which works out to 11.6psi for a week and it's carbed sufficiently.

I can't see a problem in yours being carbed in a couple of weeks at that pressure.

Blazar said:
[SIZE=medium]Hi AHB,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I have an extract brew fermenting away at the moment (8 days into fermentation using Nottingham) that I plan on crash chilling in the fermenter once it hits 14 days and then transfer to the keg after 2 or 3 days. As this will be my first time kegging a brew and I want to take baby steps I don’t really want to force carb so is it perfectly fine to keg the brew straight from cold conditioning, hook up the gas at serving pressure of approx. 10psi and leave it in the fridge at serving temp for a couple of weeks?[/SIZE]
seems fine as long as the 14 days also means finished fermenting.

don't forget to put some co2 in the keg b4 filling, fill to the bottom of the keg, then burp with co2 when full

[SIZE=11pt]Cheers fellas. Yeah the ferment should be finished on day 14 so no problems there, the only issue I can foresee is temptation getting the better of me and trying a pint after a few days. Actually, I might do that anyway as a way of checking if I have the correct length of beer line. [/SIZE]

If it wasn't finished in 14 days I would be concerned...

BTW. Getting co2 into a beer via bottled co2 is force (artificial) carbonation - no matter how long or short it takes. The other method is natural carbonation using priming sugar or kegging early (about 5 gravity points before FG gives a nice real ale carb)

[SIZE=11pt]Good point re the “force carbonation” mate. I’m tempted to drop the temperature in the fermenting fridge a bit earlier and pick up my gas bottle for this weekend. Although if by some slim chance the ferment wasn’t 100% finished and I transferred to the keg, could the extra gas made by fermentation in the keg simply be burped off or otherwise used to aid in carbonation?[/SIZE]

yes to both. i would burp it if you don't have a non return valve on your reg/gas line to eliminate any chance of the beer going up the gas line and into your reg.
I prefer the quick method of force carb. for two reasons; fridge space and absolute paranoia that a tiny leak may be present

Back