Keggers: Do You Ever Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
This is a question for the people with keg setups.

Do you ever bottle batches? I know some people make a few bottles out of the dregs left after the keg is full, but does anyone intentionally keg whole batches and bottle whole batches depending on different factors?

I have heaps of bottles and I was thinking perhaps some styles may be more appropriate to bottle. For example if you made something special you wanted to last a while, and the kind of beer you'd only have a bottle at a time of.

Sold my keg setup a few weeks ago, so only bottle now. (space issue with where I am moving)

Though when I did have the keg setup, I still did the odd bottle. Mainly for beers made for long term storage,

like two RIS's I did that are currently ageing in Champagne bottles,

Or the Choclate Stout that I wanted to sit for yonks and dole out as present over time.

Or the odd Belgian beer that needed some bottle time.

Bottles definately have their place I reckon, but for quick drinking beers that are going to be served to the masses, nothing beats the kegs.

Marlow

Yes, I've bottled entire batches since I've started kegging. I keg almost everything except for big beers meant to set aside for many months. At present I have an eisbock, eis-wee heavy, wee heavy, american barleywine and russian imperial stout bottled. I also bottle my meads because they do take some time to develop/age and I don't want to tie up a keg for a year+.

Yes. Apart from the leftovers (as you mentioned), I bottle condition full batches for swaps; I also occasionally bottle batches for other reasons. I have my main sessionable beers that I always keg, but sometimes I'll brew a beer that is something that I need to be 'more in the mood' for (edit: not necessarily just big beers, either). Due to limited kegs, and more importantly limited room for kegs in the beer fridge, I'll bottle these types of beers so that I can just keep them in the cupboard/shed, with a couple of bottles in the fridge.
Don't do it often (cos i'm continually behind on my brewing), But I do it sometimes.

Most of my batches end up in the keg, but I did a Toucan stout which I put into bottles as didn't want to have a keg tied up while it conditioned. Doing 23L batches means there's always a few extra L of beer which get's bottled once the keg is full.

Yep

still bottle full batches for swaps and for travellers (camping trips/social outings)

Keg mostly and find bottleing a pain in the arse when it has to be done.

Kleiny

Only out of the keg! If i have a big beer ill still keg it, carb it, then condition it and drink some of it out of the keg, then depending on how much I want to free the keg up ill bottle from there if need be...

Bottling whole batches just daunts me! Its such a time consuming job!

Yup i bottle on occasion... especially if ive made a 23litre batch or had to top up a batch to drop the OG and bottle what doesnt fit in the keg
Also i try to keep a session beer in bottles for when i cant get a day to brew and run short on kegs

Tom

I haven't yet, but I've only been kegging for around 6 months maybe less. I do plan on making a big stoutish beer in the comming weeks that really shouldn't be tied up to a keg.

This link has some discussion on high hop aroma beers and problems with that if kegging.
I don't have any experience of it myself but may be something to consider whether to keg or bottle.

i still brew extra so i have some left over to bottle. i usually give the bottles to my old man.
hen of course there's ones that need long term conditioning. they will go into bottles.

Yes, I've bottled entire batches since I've started kegging. I keg almost everything except for big beers meant to set aside for many months

+1.

Nowadays I will fill the keg then from a 20L cube then ditch the small remaining portion.

Also bottle for Comps if the beer is within the style guidelines.

I've been kegging kits and bits for a few years now, but only moved into AG brewing very recently. I've now started doing double batches, one for the keg and one for the bottles. The one very big downside to kegging is the lack of transportability. I know its possible, but its a PITA.

The missus was getting sick of me having the lads over every night on the weekend...

I've been kegging kits and bits for a few years now, but only moved into AG brewing very recently. I've now started doing double batches, one for the keg and one for the bottles. The one very big downside to kegging is the lack of transportability. I know its possible, but its a PITA.

The missus was getting sick of me having the lads over every night on the weekend...

PITA? These 4 beauties were dragged halfway across the country (Adelaide - Swan Hill).

And i thought i was a lazy bugger :p

DSCF2361.JPG

+1 for Keg and allow a few extra bottles every batch.

QldKev

Nice work Dr. What size drums are they?

Not sure as a mate who is a panel beater did it. Take them with us on our annual camping trip.

I am guessing they are 15-20L and would probably contain a solvent of some sort. Never bothered to read them.

not the prettiest things you will ever see but it keeps the beer cold!

Back