Keg Shipping Container Load

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if you are going to wait months for a container , why not order yourself from the US and save a bundle?

if people can get kegs for $50 each here already i wouldn't really bother getting a container load. a 20 foot container will hold between 725-750 kegs with shipping fees and the various customs fees etc all up probally looking at $3200 per container and you have to add gst on top depending upon what you get the kegs for. Fully reconditioned and caustic cleaned kegs in a bulk buy you are looking at probally 20 USD if you can get them. so if you can get the max of 750 kegs at 20usd each

750 * 20USD/ .79aud = $18987 AUD
shipping, customs= $3200 AUD
gst 18987*.1=$1898.7 AUD
total =$24085.7 AUD

cost per keg 24085.7/750 = $32.11 landed with tax paid ( that's if you can fit the 750 in the container. depends on how they pack them I suppose.)

works out cheap but then you have to get rid of 750( probally in 2 or 3 at a time) at a price that's going to make it worthwhile.

Scott70, you forgot 5% Customs duty. And if the kegs arnt to AQIS cleanliness standards, then the whole lot will be quarantined for steam cleaning. it aint easy!

Wes.

Import duty on sealable SS kegs is 5%. Don't forget that the GST is payable on the cost of the kegs, the import duty and the cost of transporting the kegs. Basically unless you can get at least a 20% discount on what an individual can pay, then a bulk order is not worth it, as most individual orders from the US avoid the import duty and GST. Considering that kegs are getting harder to come buy and these guys make good money selling to the public, you'll have a hard time getting a 20% discount. Now if you're trying to make a small profit (and fair enough if you're doing loads of leg work) you'll need an even bigger discount.

Yep, importing is a real pain in the arse!

PS Anyone want a Japanese import. 1992 Toyota Soarer GT Ltd, V8 4.2ltr, leather interior, fully optioned, 17" rims, 82000kms, only $18500.

Cheers
MAH

502438.jpg

does the car come with Aus rego and compliance plate...

A 20' container will hold approxiamately 900 5 gallon kegs, stacked loose, on their sides. (10 kegs accross, 12 keg rows high) Can't ship on wood pallets due to Australian restrictions and/or fumigation rules, AND shipping on pallets is a waste of space.

MAH said:
Import duty on sealable SS kegs is 5%. Don't forget that the GST is payable on the cost of the kegs, the import duty and the cost of transporting the kegs.

As I understand it, if the goods were made in the US and it's certified by the shipping company you won't be levied customs due to the our free trade agreement with the US. (Has certainly made it a lot cheaper getting performance car parts from the US!)

Of course, the above should be verified with customs to be sure - I'm takin' no liability if it's wrong!!

tony

$65 sounds good. I just got 3 more @ $85 each, with new seals, pressure test etc and they have had a hot caustic wash + sterilized ready to fill. I tried to get some before Christmas, but they were no where to find, happens every year they say. If your container gets here around Oct you can clean up in the Christmas rush. How many of these kegs do you think you can fit into a container?

$65 is really cheap - and a container must have 2000 kegs??

///

And to think I bought 12 kegs , $33.00 each per six ordered from keg systems

How long ago? Did not seem that long 8-9 years perhaps , oh that was delievered too !

Wish I had bought big mobs more

Batz

& to think I bought approx 13,000 of them for $2 each & then shredded them!!!!

Life sucks....lol

If you can do a reasonable price on the 3 gals i'de be interested. I'm just about to order a few from bd. Maybe even an extra 5 gal if i get the itch. :D

This (I swear) is a true story, long before I'd ever dreamed of being a homebrewer.

I was out of work after a trip around Oz in the late 1980's.

A mate of mine at the time was working as a private contractor for Schweppes. His job was to get pubs to opt out of Coke contracts for Schweppes ones. He then had to change the relevant postmix systems.

I worked for him for a month basically as a general dogsbody/labourer. At the time corny kegs were being phased out for the wine-cask type bag and box system.

I can still remember seing about 40-50 kegs (probably more at a guess) just sitting idle in his backyard. Basically Schweppes had no use for them and told him to just hang on to them.

Think they may have ended up down the tip. :(

Oh for a bit of foresight.

Warren

Ross said:
& to think I bought approx 13,000 of them for $2 each & then shredded them!!!!

Life sucks....lol
[post="50434"][/post]​

Wheres the "smily" for crying.
If you only knew, hey Ross.

cheers
johnno

I would love some kegs, especially 3 gallon ones. Are you going to have 3 gallon ones in the container. if yes how much would they be?

I'm definately interested in a few if you go ahead. If you'd be willing to do some bulk deals I think I'd probably buy about 10 or so at around $50-$55.

tony

:chug:

I could be interested in 4x 5gallon kegs. i dont seem to have enough kegs now that i also have coke on tap for my spirits.

gary

Back