Keg King turbo boiler - any experiences?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
Having offloaded my AG gear and moved to 12L BIAB stovetop batches, I've falling prey to the 'just one more bit of gear' bug. I'm looking at Keg King's turbo boiler as a way of getting out of the kitchen into the garage, and allowing for larger batches once in a while.

Searching the forums indicates KK's elements have come in for some flak, but wondering whether anybody has any experience with the boiler. KK says the volume is closer to 32L (29.5cm d, 47cm h), probably 25L effective volume for a boil, and that it can maintain a rolling boil. Not too worried about lack of a thermostat as I can always hook it up to an external controller / probe. Would probably swap out the tap for a 1/2" ball valve.

Not sure about that one but for an extra $60.00, you can get yourself a Crown 40lt urn from the sponsors above.
It will serve you well for many years & get you out of the kitchen.

Don't like the look of that tap. 2000w is a bit pissy as well.

Crusty just beat me to it.

A 40L will give you more flexibility if you want to do bigger batches. Crown urn tap is quite adequate and very robust.

edit: and whilst you don't really need a thermostat for BIAB it's occasionally handy to have the option to set the dial, go out shopping and get home to 32 litres of strike water at the correct temperature for mash in.

I wouldnt bother with the KK option, its quite expensive, small and underpowered. Just build your own.

Through some judicious shopping on eBay and reuse of other items i have put this together for <$250
10954692_417083875119251_1915385550_n.jpg

43L YumCha urn - $100
ball valve, bazooka and various fittings - $40
Immersion Chiller - $50
eBay PID - $40
Round cake airer - $5

Works brilliantly, just need to add recirculation for a better cooling rate and better wort pickup.

Latest posts

Back