Keg King S/Steel Uni tank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a problem with you proposing an equipment modification but it seems ridiculous that we're still referring to it as a unitank when clearly it's not one off the shelf.

I'd also be hesitant to recommend pressurising a non-pressure-rated vessel with gas, especially without a PRV. People on here are happy to take advice on these things, and copy or follow other people's projects - it's up to you what you're comfortable proposing but I've seen enough failures of equipment in general that I personally wouldn't recommend going down this path. I say this being completely unqualified in the field, but think of the failure mechanisms and the result if it goes wrong and someone's standing or has their hand in the wrong place.
How much pressure is going to be applied? Anyone going over 15 PSI has either got to be mad or both, the lid is rated to 15 PSI. Why go any higher? Anyone wanting to go higher should be looking at the new Fermenter King, but for the life of me I cannot see any reason to want to go to ridiculous pressures.
If high pressures were a worry to you I would be aiming my concerns at the spunding valve, that is what the folk rely on to reach the pressure they would like, if that stuffs up for whatever reason then there is cause for concern.

Exactly - what if the spunding valve fails? Or someone forgets to attach the spunding valve? I'm referring to unintentional failures, not wilful misuse.

You referring to someone deliberately going over 15 psi being mad is what I was referring to as intentional misuse.

Given the energies involved in brewing there's plenty of potential for disaster at many points of the process, some less obvious than others. Unitanks and other pressure vessels involved in brewing come with pressure relief valves for a reason - they should be the weakest link if something goes wrong and release the energy in a controlled manner. Where's the weak point in your proposed modification, and which direction is it going to release in if a regulator fails and dumps bottle pressure into the bucket, or the spunding valve fails or isn't in place and fermentation pressure builds higher than intended?

Along with others, your voice carries a bit of weight here, and I've seen a number of people copying your work and projects (none of which I'm critiquing aside from this one.) Maybe you understand the risks and are comfortable with them, but your proposed method doesn't address those risks and not everyone who may try to follow your method will understand the risks and consequences.

Clearly you can say or propose whatever you like on here, I'd just suggest to be aware of how others may interpret your instructions and not be too blasé about proposing a risky modification.

After having a look at the rim I reckon the best way to make it hold pressure is to apply it from the handles of the fermenter, use a roofing hook bolt.
roofing-hook-bolt.jpg
Make a template out of ply to sit over the lid leaving space in the middle for the gas & liquid posts and what ever else you would want switch the hex nut for a wingnut and for just a few dollars you have a pressure kit. Sand it up and stain it and it will look pretty schmick
@wide eyed and legless, I may have gone a bit harder here than necessary, on re-reading your post I realise it was a bit less specific than I interpreted it the first time (see bolded.)

However there's been a lot of talk in this thread about modifying this vessel to hold pressure, but no mention of risk and safety. I'd suggest that anyone tempted to try a modification like this at least consider using a PRV, such as that included in the SS Brewtech pressure kit for the brew bucket. And consider what an appropriate rating for that PRV would be (i.e. my completely unqualified view would be not to adapt a corny PRV as it's going to release at far too high a pressure to provide benefit, but is a 15 psi unitank PRV going to provide sufficient protection for this modified system or should it be lower?) Is in fact installing a PRV adequate protection to use this safely? I suspect so, at least using a 2-2.5 psi unit for pressure transfers rather than carbonation.

As I said in original post whatever else was needed could be fitted into the centre, which could include a safety valve if needed. For me I would just be using a poppet PRV right in the centre would fit a tube with a grommet for thermal readings. Apart from the gas and liquid post and maybe make up a hop dropper that would be it.
001.JPG

I actually fitted a 2 inch tri clover to my mangrove jacks fermenter (not sure why but I just did) & KL sells a 2 inch triclover keg fitting- that would certainly work!
And they also sell the 2inch fitting and a plug from CP would cover the airlock hole - so it’s doable! I have the parts - might have to do a mock-up :)
Cheers

So with inspiration from Ballarat guys post over on the Guten thread here https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/guten.94389/page-85#post-1543046
I made a yeast brink/oxygen free dry hopper that connects to my SS Chronical fermenter but would also work with the Guten. I haven't tested it yet but Im confident it will work well.
Looks good Truman. I found with mine that the hops had trouble transferring into the fermenter. I let the wort dissolve the pellets a bit but then had trouble with the pipe blocking
I think that if you fill the jar with wort and transfer immediately while they are still pellets
Also I think I had the pipe too close to the bottom of the jar

View attachment 116841

Looks good Truman. I found with mine that the hops had trouble transferring into the fermenter. I let the wort dissolve the pellets a bit but then had trouble with the pipe blocking
I think that if you fill the jar with wort and transfer immediately while they are still pellets
Also I think I had the pipe too close to the bottom of the jar

I also found after I emptied the fv that I still had a lot of trub coating the inside of the cone. I’d taken about 4Lt of trub/beer out before hopping)
One problem with the stainless fv is you can’t see what’s inside‍♂️

Ive cut my tube a bit shorter so will see how it goes. Ill also transfer when still pellets. Thanks for the tip.

No mate just one of the KegKing weldless ones I had on hand. I figured since the thermometer was screw in it should be ok. Just opened up the hole a bit.
How much did you need to open up the hole to fit the thermowell? I called up KK this afternoon to get a shipping update and they said future versions (perhaps already on the boat) will be suitable for something like a standard 1/2" BSP thermowell without modification. If the current one involves much more than filing out the existing hole I might just wait for the update. Looks like a great unit though!

How much did you need to open up the hole to fit the thermowell? I called up KK this afternoon to get a shipping update and they said future versions (perhaps already on the boat) will be suitable for something like a standard 1/2" BSP thermowell without modification. If the current one involves much more than filing out the existing hole I might just wait for the update. Looks like a great unit though!
A fair bit with a grinding stone I used a 1/2 inch one - if you can wait that would be better

A fair bit with a grinding stone I used a 1/2 inch one - if you can wait that would be better
Thanks Kenf. I've never worked with SS before so I'd hate to mess up a brand new fermenter. I'll wait and see what KK come up with.

These pieces are rather thin, KL sell a plug cutter that works well with thin stainless- you would just have to widen the hole for the bolt.
Or a step drill with WD 40 as a lubricant.
Hole saws tend to move about a bit - the pilot hole drill will actually chew out the hole as the saw cuts. Not very neat!
I think your plan is better!
Do you know when the pressure lid is coming?

So no new news? I’m going to modify mine using the afore mentioned tri clover fittings. I do have two Fermenter King Juniors.
sadly I screwed up the seal on one, so my experiments with them as fermenters hasn’t been great! But I will persevere!
i am going to “cull“ my fermenter types and have settled on the King King SS Conical - I just need to find suitable clamps or I’m thinking stacking one on top of the other and pressure fermenting in the bottom one!
reality is though it’s more about pressure transfers rather than ferments
cheers

Latest posts

Back