K&k Recipe Suggestions / Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgw86

Reaction score
Hi,

1. I am currently fermenting a Blue Mountain Lager with BE2 and Hallertau Hops. I believe this may turn out to be on the low side of alcohol % (SG 1038 and expect FG to be about 1010). I prefer Beers to be around the 4.5-5% mark and have been trying to adjust ingredients on my BML recipe.

I was thinking of adjusting my next BML to have

1KG Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
250g dextrose

Will that much dextrose thin the beer out too much? (I like beers such as Carlton Draught etc. that are not too heavy) or am I better off having a mix of Dextrose and Coopers Light Dry Malt? Perhaps 200g Dex & 100g LDM

2. I am looking for my next brew after I have finished with the BML and was considering the Coopers Draught recipe on their website. Has anybody tried this before? and if so what did it turn out like.

The recipe on the website calls for

1 x can of Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught
1 x can of Thomas Coopers Light Malt (1.5kg)

Ferment with S-23 lager yeast (I imagine I should pitch 2 x 11g sachets?)

Do I need to add any extra dextrose in to this to bump it up to 4.5-5%?

Thanks again for everyones help.

In regards to your BML brew, I think addition of 250g dextrose should bump up the alcohol level to where you want it with very little effect on the beer. You could also go with the BE1 and add 500g of DME, which would probably give you something similar, maybe a little more body.

Can't comment on the draught brew as I have not brewed it.

Cheers

Rusty

the BE already has 500g of dex in it which IMO is too much just by itself, go for a kilo of LDME and maybe 200-300g dex max, willl make a much nicer brew.

check out this spreadsheet if you want to mess about with additions, its a great little utility to get you head round various additions

Kit and Exract Spreadsheet

also dunno about the draught, never put one of them in.

Good luck

Hi,

1. I am currently fermenting a Blue Mountain Lager with BE2 and Hallertau Hops. I believe this may turn out to be on the low side of alcohol % (SG 1038 and expect FG to be about 1010). I prefer Beers to be around the 4.5-5% mark and have been trying to adjust ingredients on my BML recipe.

I was thinking of adjusting my next BML to have

1KG Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
250g dextrose

Will that much dextrose thin the beer out too much? (I like beers such as Carlton Draught etc. that are not too heavy) or am I better off having a mix of Dextrose and Coopers Light Dry Malt? Perhaps 200g Dex & 100g LDM

2. I am looking for my next brew after I have finished with the BML and was considering the Coopers Draught recipe on their website. Has anybody tried this before? and if so what did it turn out like.

The recipe on the website calls for

1 x can of Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught
1 x can of Thomas Coopers Light Malt (1.5kg)

Ferment with S-23 lager yeast (I imagine I should pitch 2 x 11g sachets?)

Do I need to add any extra dextrose in to this to bump it up to 4.5-5%?

Thanks again for everyones help.
If you are bottling remember you will gain about .5% alc with your priming sugar.
Use LDM instead of extra dex to increase your alc...BE2 will have 250gm dex in it.

The coopers Draught recipe is not too bad, make it better, add 12gm Cluster boiled for 10 minutes in 3 litres water then cooled to wort after initial fermentation has stopped....make original wort to 21 litres. Makes a nice drop, but leave 3-4 months for best results...Home brew its a game of patience.. :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the general consensus is that Light Dry Malt will provide that increase in % just enough without making the beer watery.

If I was to brew this with a Lager Yeast, what is generally the best one to use. S-23 or 34/70 and should I be using 2 x 11g sachets?

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back