Just Juice 2l - Apple Juice - 3 For $5 @ Coles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like pear some of the other varieties (apple and blackcurrent for example) leave some residual sweetness.

I just got back from my local Coles with 18 litres of Apple and 18 litres of Apple & Pear :D

I've never done a cider before, can someone please help me with a recipe for either Apple or Apple & Pear.

Thank you in advance,

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Tip Juice in fermenter, add yeast. It really is as easy as that.

Yeast nutrient is a good addition.

If you're going for the 60 / 40 of Strongbow then put 8 x 2L bottles of the apple and pear and 2 x bottles of apple in your fermenter (20L). But even 1/4 pear juice makes a difference. How big is your fermenter? Use the lot (then you'll get 1/4 pear) if you can / want.

Thanks Manticle :)

I thought I may have to add dextrose or something.

Just a couple of extra questions if i may...

1) I have US_05, CL23 and SN9 yeast available (which is the best to use?)
2) how long does fermentation generlaty take? and
3) how long do you condition for?

Thank you in advance :)

C

Woden Coles was sold out of all Just Juice varieties so I just got back from Woolies with 9.6L of Berri apple juice, 4.8L of Berri apple and blackcurrant and 4.8L of apple and cranberry = $24

I am going to use US-05 and I know it might not attenuate 100% but I don't mind a not-so-ber-dry cider.

I also have some French oak staves that I might condition them on.

Crazy combination of variables should make it a little interesting...

cheers for the heads up on this,

Dan

I am having a glass of my Hard Cider right now...mmmmm delicious! I have used a few different mixtures of apple/Black Currant/Pear and I have used Montrechet, Safcider, Champagne and a few other yeasts. ALL of them make a really nice refreshing cider. I also add 1 KG of Dextrose, and let it ferment for a minimum of 8 weeks. Excellent stuff!

Thanks Manticle :)

I thought I may have to add dextrose or something.

Just a couple of extra questions if i may...

1) I have US_05, CL23 and SN9 yeast available (which is the best to use?)
2) how long does fermentation generlaty take? and
3) how long do you condition for?

Thank you in advance :)

C

No need for extra dex. Juice will ferment right out giving decent ABV and dryness unless you try and stop ferment.

I can't answer your questions on yeast as I've only ever used wy cider yeast (4766) and white wine yeast (not even sure what type - initially from cellar plus, now from grain and grape). However I have heard of people having good results with US05. How long depends on yeast and temp etc as it does with beer.

For me, I like to ferment on the lower end of the yeast's tolerance so that's around 14 degrees for the yeasts I use. That means it's a slower ferment, but as with lagers, I find it cleaner and needs less conditioning. If you use sulphites (totally unnecessary with store bought and unneccesaary with other juices too in my opinion and experience), you will need longer conditioning.

Given the above info - I normally ferment maybe 3 weeks (I go on gravity not time though), condition a further few days at ferment temps, then cold condition another week. Similar schedule to my beers really. If making a traditional cider in the french method, fermentation can take months but that relies on yeast in the apples and cider house.

In the non-brewing section is a thread on simple cider or simplest cider started by brewer pete which has lots of info and user experiences with different yeast. Worth a look - I think it's one of the first threads.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the A&P.
Went up to Coles about 2 hours after I posted this, and the entire Apple range was cleaned out. :eek:
All there was left was Orange Juice :angry:

As for the Yeast conversation, I've made a yeast starter with apple juice, nutrient and Vintner's Harvest SN9.
Apparently it's a great allrounder wine yeast for good for stuck fermentations too.
Vintner's Harvest - Yeast .PDF

That a interesting yeast XZ I usually use an ale yeastand add some light dry malt to try to get residual sweetness thats why I think they add the pear juice , often high attenuating yeasts strips the flavour

pumpy :)

Quick question on cider. First time for me using all juice, and first cider in a about 10 years.

I'm using MJ's cider yeast and all apple juice. I was hoping on back sweetening in the keg, say adding 1.5 litres of apple and blackcurrent juice in a 19 litre keg and see how it tastes. I don't like really dry cider, and neither does my darling wife (this is for her).

I am aware that the yeast may continue to kick along, even at the low temps in my keg fridge.

QUESTION- Will the juice in the keg stratify and sink to the bottom or does it integrate with the cider?
Cheers.

jyo said:
Quick question on cider. First time for me using all juice, and first cider in a about 10 years.

I'm using MJ's cider yeast and all apple juice. I was hoping on back sweetening in the keg, say adding 1.5 litres of apple and blackcurrent juice in a 19 litre keg and see how it tastes. I don't like really dry cider, and neither does my darling wife (this is for her).

I am aware that the yeast may continue to kick along, even at the low temps in my keg fridge.

QUESTION- Will the juice in the keg stratify and sink to the bottom or does it integrate with the cider?
Cheers.
Its like you homomoginous

Splash of Bickfords Cloudy Apple cordial into the glass solves all.

I thought about backsweetening in the glass, but I really want it to be wife and woman-daughter proof. "That's your tap there, darlings".

Sweet cider is hard.

If you are kegging and can keep things cold all the time, add the cordial to the keg. If you can't then adding to the glass is the easiest way.

Latest posts

Back