Just... #$#% It.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Brewed my ultimate dream on Saturday - something that's been a year in the planning - a piraat. Brew day was perfect - hit everything i was trying to hit. Because the brew fridge is broken and it's winter, i just connected the tempmate and the heat belt and left it in my shed which is reasonably well-insulated.

After a couple of days the krausen burst the glad wrap - never happened before, so i replaced it. Next day I noticed the tempmate was reading 13celcius. On investigation the sensor had fallen to the floor when i replaced the glad wrap and so the heater had actually taken the brew up to 27celcius.

It's as good as nail polish remover now I guess.

Just needed to vent. Just my own careless stupidity to blame for it.

Wyeast 3787

It'll be delicious! I regularly push 1214 (similar) to the mid twenties for lots of esters. You've only gone a smidgeon over the recommended range. IMO you need to go into the 30s for too much fusels - and small levels of fusels are acceptable in these beers.

LESSONS
I think i'm going to create a velcro patch on the side of my fermenters to keep the thermostat in place. The sensor can be securely attached within the other side of the velcro.

It'll be delicious! I regularly push 1214 (similar) to the mid twenties for lots of esters. You've only gone a smidgeon over the recommended range. IMO you need to go into the 30s for too much fusels - and small levels of fusels are acceptable in these beers.

Serious?

Normally i'd keep a belgian low for the first few days, then ramp it up later as i add the sugars. But i'm quite willing to believe anything right now.

Serious?

Normally i'd keep a belgian low for the first few days, then ramp it up later as i add the sugars. But i'm quite willing to believe anything right now.

What's it taste like? I read somewhere that the actual strain is Wyeast 3538 and they ferment pretty high.

What's it taste like? I read somewhere that the actual strain is Wyeast 3538 and they ferment pretty high.
Ok, sensible action instead of losing the plot...

Actually doesn't taste too bad. It still tastes quite sweet - so it's early in the fermentation. No nailpolish. No hints of clove, banana or bubblegum that i can detect. Just tastes like beer so far. Either it's ok, or it's masked by the sweetness.

Presumably I just continue with the plan and add the invert sugar as the krausen begins to settle down.

Good and robust way of mounting sensor is some bubble wrap folded a few times, firmly tape to side of fermentor with gaffer tape and slide sensor down between bubblewrap and fermentor wall.

bcp, definitely proceed with the invert sugar as intended. It's likely to be a different outcome than if you went with the fermentation temperatures you were originally aiming for. However, don't judge it too soon as 27c with that yeast in a standard homebrew style fermenter is not going to ruin the beer; far from it.

Brewed my ultimate dream on Saturday - something that's been a year in the planning - a piraat. Brew day was perfect - hit everything i was trying to hit. Because the brew fridge is broken and it's winter, i just connected the tempmate and the heat belt and left it in my shed which is reasonably well-insulated.

After a couple of days the krausen burst the glad wrap - never happened before, so i replaced it. Next day I noticed the tempmate was reading 13celcius. On investigation the sensor had fallen to the floor when i replaced the glad wrap and so the heater had actually taken the brew up to 27celcius.

It's as good as nail polish remover now I guess.

Just needed to vent. Just my own careless stupidity to blame for it.

Had a porter go up to30+ degrees due to stupidity - got it down to acceptable temperature and carried on. Has turned out a top drop.

Good and robust way of mounting sensor is some bubble wrap folded a few times, firmly tape to side of fermentor with gaffer tape and slide sensor down between bubblewrap and fermentor wall.
The tape I have either leaves too much sticky goo on the fermentor or does not stick at all (once the beer is chilled), so I've been using a piece of squishy foam held on with an occy-strap around the fermentor.

The tape I have either leaves too much sticky goo on the fermentor or does not stick at all (once the beer is chilled), so I've been using a piece of squishy foam held on with an occy-strap around the fermentor.

Piece of elastic around body of fermentor holding an old stubby cooler to the wall, then probe slid in between

I just use a big blob of blue-tack. Works well, doesn't fall off even when chilled.

Heh heh - cracks me up. Heatbelt.

I've got an ambient ferment Belgian Dark Strong in the laundry that's sitting on 21C. And it's ANGRY. Luckily the next few days are forecast to be "cold".

Heh heh - cracks me up. Heatbelt.

I've got an ambient ferment Belgian Dark Strong in the laundry that's sitting on 21C. And it's ANGRY. Luckily the next few days are forecast to be "cold".

The ambient temp in the shed is 13.5c, and the wort was still a little cool when I pitched so i didn't want it going to sleep before it started. No chance of that now.

Latest posts

Back