2nd brew just some questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stattonb

Reaction score
heya so im new to home brewing and im on my 2nd brew the first brew was ok but not the best aas i brought a brigalow starter kit and from reading up on here i was almost guaranteed a crap brew...so after that went to the home brew shop got some good yeast (US05) and morgans aussie larger mix and started a brew,reading was 1040 when i started and 3 days later its at 1020 with no foam but the airlock going good (tho after reading on here im thinking of just going the glad wrap way) i had the brew at 22 degress the whole time but my question is it to fast to be half fermented as my first brew took 2 weeks to get to that stage.
Sorry for the newbie question.

That's not too fast a fermentation, sounds about right. From what I remember I didn't get a lot of foam (krausen) when using kits either.
It may be that you're using better/healthier yeast at a more appropriate pitch rate than your past brews.

22c is a little high for us05, I aim to use it around 16-17c for around 8-10 days check gravity raising temp 1c for the last three days each then check gravity if at or close to expected fg, I raise to 25 for 2 days then crash to 2c to clear out. This can take a normal ferment out to15 to 20 days but I find results in a nice clean clear beer.

Higher temp fermenting is usually spruced by LHB's to ensure a quick and steady ferment without failure, pitching at lower temp can increase lag time for ferment to start which also increases risk of infection. If your sanitation is up to scratch you should be good, also aerating the wort prior to pitching yeast will give the yeast a better start. Fermenting temperature affects flavours, the cooler end of a yeasts tolerance will produce cleaner flavour for now. (we won't get into fancy esters that's a bit down the track)

thanks for the info i dont have temp control so i just spent the night putting 3 computer fans in there and im hoping the temp goes down,really need to get a 2nd hand fridge i think lol

stattonb said:
thanks for the info i dont have temp control so i just spent the night putting 3 computer fans in there and im hoping the temp goes down,really need to get a 2nd hand fridge i think lol
Let's face it, you're hooked on this homebrewing thing after only 2 brews, you poor thing..... ;) :beerbang:

Welcome to the vortex :D

You are using a better yeast strain with better handling and storage (cold). The us05 will kick in quicker and be more viable, therefore more yeast = quicker fermentation....should be done in 3-5 days, not that should should bottle it then? I let mine sit in primary for at least 2 weeks....

Beercus

yep hooked for sure,so i setup a small pantry cupboard and now have 6 computer fans in it (added 3 more this morning) and have the temp at a good 18 degrees.
i left my last brew for 2 weeks so ill have no problems there, id rather wait and drink good tasting beer then crap

AS others have said, 3-5 days for a healthy system to ferment out.

You've just make your first improvements towards better beer! soon it will be temp control, hops, specialty grains, all extract, maybe even all grain! Good luck with your second brew!

just did a reading on it and its at 1005 so all done :) gonna leave in there for another 7 - 8 days to make it 2 weeks

just afew shots at my attempt at temp control cupboard
gallery_36435_1208_14349.jpg

gallery_36435_1208_16324.jpg

so bottled afew last week and opened today,fizz,head and taste just like i brought it from the shops.....pretty happy with my 2nd attempt when my first brew didnt turn out so great :)

i tell ya was disappointed to start with but i thought its only my first brew and im new to it and bang yea got a good brew on my 2nd go,so hooked now time to spend all my money on it lmfao

Yes you can, have a look on the yeast sub forum for more info or search on Google / youtube.

will do :) so much more i have to learn
just wanted to show the fist lot of my 2nd brew,pretty happy with it
gallery_36435_1208_27002.jpg

Back