Jamil Is God !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamil is a genuine luminary in a hobby full of wannabee luminaries.

Could some of this be tall poppy syndrome? Oh hang on that sounds like another luminary. :lol:

Warren -

There's only one true tall poppy Warren (self-proclaimed of course). The rest are just pretenders...

I've learnt a fair amount from the Brew Strong series, the first 10 minutes is normally chatter and then they really start to get into it. It's worth skipping for the first 10 minutes if you just want to get into the main topic as the content is quite good. Sure there's still a lot of off-topic chatter, jokes etc but have a look at AHB as a comparison. It's the same thing, if you only judge it by the off-topic posts you'd be missing out on the wealth of information available.

BribeG: Try skipping the first bit and see what you think, or try some of the Brew Strong series for more technical discussions.

trying to find reliable answers

Spot on Foles, and the answers are based on years of experience. Mind you, if he doesn't know something Jamil will be the first to admit it, rather than assume something. This goes for most of the experienced brewers on the BN, Tasty and Palmer in particular.

I downloaded a large number of Jamil's radio show and burnt them to CD to listen to them while driving to and from work. Picked out more than a dozen styles.

In the end i listened to maybe 3 and threw the rest in the bin.

Whilst i am sure there are some gems of information, 95% is inane chatter interspersed with ads (i don't listen to commercial radio). Its hard to fast forward whilst driving so i gave up.

I have no doubt he is a gun brewer but the delivery didn't appeal to me at all.

In the end it was like masturbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing, but mostly painful. :ph34r:

I downloaded a large number of Jamil's radio show and burnt them to CD to listen to them while driving to and from work. Picked out more than a dozen styles.

In the end i listened to maybe 3 and threw the rest in the bin.

Whilst i am sure there are some gems of information, 95% is inane chatter interspersed with ads (i don't listen to commercial radio). Its hard to fast forward whilst driving so i gave up.

I have no doubt he is a gun brewer but the delivery didn't appeal to me at all.

In the end it was like masturbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing, but mostly painful. :ph34r:

But sure beats the garlic press... oops this thread is starting to sound like the first ten minutes of a Jamil show :eek:

QUOTE (DrSmurto @ Jan 21 2010, 02:38 PM)
In the end it was like masturbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing, but mostly painful.

ford_fairlane2.jpg

"Un f*cking believable"

Brought back some memories

Kabooby :)

And if his radio show was boring with no humour and messing around, people would complain about it being too serious ?

I think the BN stuff is brilliant, especially brew strong. Answers the sorts of questions you could spend months trying to find reliable answers for on forums.

+1, i've got a lot of the casts on disc , it's a good way to pass a few hours on the way out to work

lighten up people, you're showing your age :D

View attachment 35027

"Un f*cking believable"

Brought back some memories

Kabooby :)

"What, you think we'd kill the f*cking Koala?"

Might as well take it further off topic. Great movie!

Nice to see a few people recognise the Dice quote.

I'd take it further off topic with some of his nursery rhymes from his stand-up shows but I suspect i would be moderated post haste.... so check out the Dogs on Acid forum for a few.

Subtle they are not.

Code:
And if his radio show was boring with no humour and messing around, people would complain about it being too serious ?

I think the BN stuff is brilliant, especially brew strong. Answers the sorts of questions you could spend months trying to find reliable answers for on forums.

+1, Lighten up, after all they are sitting around in a studio sucking back a few beers and talking about brewing, if you want something humorless and serious read Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer
Info presented in a fun way is easier to remember, personally I can't listen to the shows with no humor although the redneck one is pretty bad also and they think they are being funny.

Following suit: the format is based on regular listeners who already have a large 'given' base of knowledge because it has already been covered a million times. I started to question the latter original Jamil episodes because I felt they were basically putting the 'essentials' of one style into an hour, but much of the info had already been covered many times in similar styles. If they did cover it again, they would be lampooned for repetitiveness, if they pad it out, they are waffling... whaddayado?
I like the Jamil show for sure, and think he has been a very good influence on the brewing scene. I think he has a faux modesty thing that I am not keen on, but he is a very helpful and dedicated guy.
I love the Session, and it is mainly waffle and some unexpected nuggets here and there. 99% of my PT time is listening to BN.
RDWHABNPCLDTRWHATEVER.

I love the BN even with that other show. Some people will criticise a blow job, I guess because there is no such thing as pleasing everyone.

Lighten up and listen just for the humour and ignor the beer stuff. These guys are our brothers in the home/ craft beer family so lets praise them for their efforts even if their delivery may not be to everyones liking. After all, they don't charge much for their product.

maybe I should lighten up, just sayin'

love

g

I love the BN even with that other show. Some people will criticise a blow job, I guess because there is no such thing as pleasing everyone.

Lighten up and listen just for the humour and ignor the beer stuff. These guys are our brothers in the home/ craft beer family so lets praise them for their efforts even if their delivery may not be to everyones liking. After all, they don't charge much for their product.

maybe I should lighten up, just sayin'

love

g
They are not my brother's but I get a f..ing good laugh out of there potty mouths,The science is just a bone-ass. I am going around :lol: What ever that means. :rolleyes:
GB

Usually pumped up to 120 IBU with hops beginning with C. Wouldn't know a decent Melbourne Bitter if it mugged him in an alley B)

:icon_offtopic:

What a load of crap :lol:

Very few of Jamils beers (if any, maybe the imperial stout?) are 120 IBU c hopped monsters. If you'd listened to his shows or read any of his recipes you'd know that though. Even a lot of his American recipes (APA & IPA for example) are quite restrained compared to most APA/IPA recipes on this site.

FWIW - I think his recipes are a great starting point, and I now use them along with designing great beers as a starting point if I'm creating a new recipe. I don't think he is a god, but he is a very approachable brewer who loves the craft.

If you listened to his early shows you'd know that it's taken a while for him to build a radio persona, but I think that he helps to make what can be quite dull topics interesting. Personally I can't listen to basic brewing radio without wanting to tear my hair out with boredom.

I drive two hours plus a day to and from work , so I dont have to listen to the news repeat it self .

I laugh a lot and there is some absolute gems of information, It relaxes me before and after a serious day.

Its maybe not for everone ,but you will miss out on some great information albeit thinly spread at times.

sometimes the 'all brewing shows' can get a bit tiring ,its all about 'hitting the balance between good information and entertainment'

Pumpy ( I am a fan, dont feel sorry for me ) ;)

So you're saying listening to BN is as good as getting head?? :huh:

Latest posts

Back