Jamil Is God !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamil is one funny fuckjer, if you cant relate your probably just not a twisted individual

+1 Bribie, if I were so inclined, Williams would be my 'god' and Saunders and Oceans his disciples, as Science Show, Daily Planet and By Design are highlights of my listening day/week- without RN my life would be a misery and would otherwise probably spend my down time at DW or perhaps even over at the Beeb! B)

So there's more than one so- called radio show out there not worth wasting our time on?! :ph34r:

On topic: I have only listened to one episode of a Jamil show. I commute one hour to Brisbane twice a week and download numerous podcasts from Radio National (Science Show, By Design, Health Report, Philosophers Zone etc etc etc) and it's my quality time as opposed to Gen Y who sit there with their ear buds going boompa boompa boompa.

However the Jamil Pod I downloaded took an hour out of my life I'll never get back. It contained five minutes of hard information diluted by endless

"Well Chuck has just wandered into the Studio, hi Chuck ... hey, hahaha you should see the shirt that Chuck is wearing... yeah, Chuck ... did you get to Vegas? Now what were we talking about, oh that's right can you tell if an Amber is...

Now Chuck what's the rumor about you and.... wait a minute ... now.... yeah, Amber Ale, now in a good American Amber.. hey Chuck did you ever try that Dogs testicles Amber from the Blue Ridge place with the brew pub, what was that called? Old gangbangers saloon? Nope that was in Wisconsin.

Ad frign Nauseum.

Is there a book that this guy puts out by any chance?

+1

I downloaded most of his shows and loaded them up on the iPhoneto take with me only to find out that his style and show is total gas bag and revolting. One or two things of importance said through the whole show and fel completely wasted my time listening.

However lots here in Oz like him so I wrap it up to yanks loving Aussie accents and listening to Craftbrewer Radio and Aussies listening to Jamil. While yanks might find Jamil landfill and Aussies Graham a pompous arrogant.

It takes certain personality type to listen and I don't have it. I found Basic Brewing Radio more informative although a twit twaddle fan would find it boring.

I've given it a fair go but I can't listen to any show really all the way from season beginning to season end. I just have more important things needing attention

Personally myself, I don't mind em too much. I find them a good laugh sometimes, usually an interesting bit of info now and then. The classic styles episodes often have a bit of extra info/explainations that is not included in the BCP book of his, so if i'm planning on brewing one of his recipes it's always good to listen to the relevant podcast. Can You Brew It loses a little bit, cos we generally don't have access to the beers they are trying to clone, thougth there are some good IPA recipes in there!!

I stopped listening to the Sunday Sessions (these seem more fun to be attending, than listening to) as there tends to be alot of arsing about in those.

Brew Strong is the more serious/informative podcast (less effn about) and i think John Palmer helps to keep it in order.

Each to their own i guess.

Cheers SJ

Why bag someone when they have enlightened so many!!!

Sadly it seems to be an Aussie tradition.

I met Jamil at the ANHC conference and a nicer and more obliging person you would not find, very willing to help brewers with even the most stupid of questions, and very willing to listen to other peoples opinions and ideas as well.

Andrew

+1 Bribie, if I were so inclined, Williams would be my 'god' and Saunders and Oceans his disciples, as Science Show, Daily Planet and By Design are highlights of my listening day/week- without RN my life would be a misery and would otherwise probably spend my down time at DW or perhaps even over at the Beeb!

But quick! Bring back Fran! I really don't get into James Carlton.

T.

"Hey howdy hey my brewing brothers and sisters"

Anyway back on topic, I am doing an English best bitter this weekend, and in the absence of special malt, I am going sub it with Crystal 120.
Based mainly on the fact that Beersmith uses crystal 120 in lieu of special roast for its all grain to extract conversion.

Is this a suitable substitute?

Anyway back on topic, I am doing an English best bitter this weekend, and in the absence of special malt, I am going sub it with Crystal 120.
Based mainly on the fact that Beersmith uses crystal 120 in lieu of special roast for its all grain to extract conversion.

Assuming you are using Jamil's recipe (which already has some Crystal 120), wouldn't use Crystal 120 as a substitute as Special Roast is made using a different process. As indicated by others, and confirmed in an article by Randy Mosher in a article in the July/August 2007 issue of Zymurgy, the equivalent to Briess Special Roast is Brown malt at about 50L (as indicated by others on this thread). Grain and Grape carry Bairds Brown Malt, which might do the trick. If this is no good, perhaps a combination of Amber and light Chocolate?

To be fair, I just downloaded a Jamil MP3, "Deschute's Mirror Pond" pale ale. Maybe I'll pick up some hints for the March American mini comp - and three minutes into the show the conversation is still:

"I'm gonna be there, your'e gonna be there, the listeners are going to be there"

"Sunday Morning there's not a clean rest room to be found hahahaha don't worry I always clean up after myself, hehe haha chuckle yup there's always the woods, does the broadcaster poo in the woods?
haha hehe yeah yeah (clears throat) that's the only place there is .. it's going to be a blast and the great thing about it is that it's all.........................

BribieG:
Mate, gotta get out brewing. Life's too short to listen to this stuff considering all the rest of the media clamouring for my attention. However, Jamil's fans please enjoy :)

Subbing an ultra kilned Crystal malt for a kilned roasted malt doesn't sound like good a match for me. As noted earlier, i'd give brown malt a try or blend any two of brown/amber/melanoiden/biscuit to try and get something similiar.

Special roast is 50L so i would try and match it with its counterpart of equal roast and that would be brown for me. Also note, Briess do not have a brown malt or amber malt of their own but they do have 'victory' and 'special roast'. Most likly its just a branding of these malts much like what weyermann does with their medium crystals 'caramunich'

To be fair, I just downloaded a Jamil MP3, "Deschute's Mirror Pond" pale ale. Maybe I'll pick up some hints for the March American mini comp - and three minutes into the show the conversation is still:

"I'm gonna be there, your'e gonna be there, the listeners are going to be there"

"Sunday Morning there's not a clean rest room to be found hahahaha don't worry I always clean up after myself, hehe haha chuckle yup there's always the woods, does the broadcaster poo in the woods?
haha hehe yeah yeah (clears throat) that's the only place there is .. it's going to be a blast and the great thing about it is that it's all.........................

BribieG:
Mate, gotta get out brewing. Life's too short to listen to this stuff considering all the rest of the media clamouring for my attention. However, Jamil's fans please enjoy :)

This is a great recipe Bribie. I brewed it back in Oct last year and it turned out a really tasty APA, using English yeast. Happy to post the details if you like.

fwiw, I am a big fan of the BN and Jamil (hence the sig) and whilst I agree there is plenty of school boy humour to wade through, I have found them to be one of the best sources of reliable brewing information.

Good point guys, I neglected to notice that Jamils recipe already has 120 in it.

Ill go through my grain stash and see what I have that is close to 50l, I do have melanoidin, caramel malt and Caramunich 1, so I should be able to find something that will work. I just won't be special roast though. It is too late for me to order brown malt, but next time for sure.

Worse case scenario is that ill ditch it altogether.

I would guess that, better than adding Crystal (which is an entirely different beast), I'd roast some pale malt yourself. Check out here. Although it still might not be an option if time is short, because after toasting you should leave it a week or two before brewing with it.

Jamil is a genuine luminary in a hobby full of wannabee luminaries.

Could some of this be tall poppy syndrome? Oh hang on that sounds like another luminary. :lol:

Warren -

I only ever downloaded one episode, thought it would be a fun thing to listen to in the car going home from work. Burned it on a cd, started it up as I drove home from work..
After 5 mins I wasn't sure if it the show had started or if they were just messing around and accidentally had hit "record" while waiting for the show to start or something?

They just chatted (slooowly) for the whole thing. Maybe it's just me but I was hoping for more brew-related chatter and less random chit-chat. Just couldn't bring myself to listen to hours of prerecorded chatter to pick up the nuggets I am sure are in there :D

thanks
Bjorn

Jamil is a genuine luminary in a hobby full of wannabee luminaries.

Could some of this be tall poppy syndrome? Oh hang on that sounds like another luminary. :lol:

Warren -

From my limited conversations with him at ANHC 08 and from his writings and such, I have an opinion he is a very good brewer who has found some fame from his activities. And a decent enough bloke. Far from a god, he's just a naughty boy like the rest of us. I've used his recipes as a base for a while now, they are great first bases for up and coming brewers to practice with. But he isn't the be all and end all of knowledge of brewing, he knows that and doesn't pretend he does.

I think the guy has heaps of great info inside his head...pity his radio show doesn't do him any justice.

And if his radio show was boring with no humour and messing around, people would complain about it being too serious ?

I think the BN stuff is brilliant, especially brew strong. Answers the sorts of questions you could spend months trying to find reliable answers for on forums.

Latest posts

Back