James Squire's Ipa. True To Style?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.
Reaction score
I have recently wanted to get my taste buds into some IPA's. Grabbed 2 stubs of JS IPA last night. The colour, malt characters were all good, but I couldn't get passed the overly earthy/sandy flavours in the glass. Saw dust?? It seemed to hang around for ages with the bitterness. (I love bitter beers, so this wasn't off putting) It didn't go down too well, the strange sandy flavour was confusing. Is this the Fuggles I am not liking?

What I am getting at is this: Is this a true to style example of an IPA, and if not, can anyone give me some other examples to try?

Or should I give up and stick to my :wub: of American hops?

Cheers, John.

Its an OK example of an English IPA. Unfortunately there are not many really good Aussie brewed ones & not many English ones end up here in good condition. Worthingtons White Shield is probably the best available here when you can find it.

I found the bitterness was quite harsh and not smooth at all, when I tried it on tap in Perth recently.

Cant say I am a fan of it, and I like bitter beers also!

I found the bitterness was quite harsh and not smooth at all, when I tried it on tap in Perth recently.

Cant say I am a fan of it, and I like bitter beers also!

Thanks fellas.
I will give the Worthingtons a crack.

A surprisingly good example of an IPA is the Gage Roads IPA. Seeing as though they are owned by woolowrths you should have no trouble getting some. Not sure if it is true to style of an English IPA though.

I havent tried it but many say the gage roads is not a great ipa. Just what i've heard though.

Jamieson Beast, Feral Hop Hog, Murrays Icon 2IPA, Bridge road bling and galaxy and maybe red duck bengal are all good aussie ipas, mostly in the US style.

Samuel Smiths and Fullers IPA's are pretty good, and Meantime is excellent. They are all UK.

I havent tried it but many say the gage roads is not a great ipa. Just what i've heard though.

Jamieson Beast, Feral Hop Hog, Murrays Icon 2IPA, Bridge road bling and galaxy and maybe red duck bengal are all good aussie ipas, mostly in the US style.

Samuel Smiths and Fullers IPA's are pretty good, and Meantime is excellent. They are all UK.

Beautiful. I have a list to get through now. I have tried the Gage Roads IPA and really enjoyed it. In saying that, it may not be true to style?

Beautiful. I have a list to get through now. I have tried the Gage Roads IPA and really enjoyed it. In saying that, it may not be true to style?

I've tried it, and also really enjoyed it.
Who cares if it's not true to style, whatever that means?
I drink and brew beer for my own enjoyment, not to fit into some artificial catagory or style.

I've tried it, and also really enjoyed it.
Who cares if it's not true to style, whatever that means?
I drink and brew beer for my own enjoyment, not to fit into some artificial catagory or style.

It's just tedious when you go to buy an 'IPA' and it turns out to be a beer which fits much better in to another style such as pale ale etc.

I know what you mean, Warra, but I am after an example of a traditional IPA.
I was looking to do an AG IPA, and don't want 20 litres of beer I just give to visitors :)

if your in perth get your ass over to feral brewery in Baskerville the hop hog ipa is great

I know what you mean, Warra, but I am after an example of a traditional IPA.
I was looking to do an AG IPA, and don't want 20 litres of beer I just give to visitors :)

Meantime IPA. Classic IPA

I have recently wanted to get my taste buds into some IPA's. Grabbed 2 stubs of JS IPA last night. The colour, malt characters were all good, but I couldn't get passed the overly earthy/sandy flavours in the glass. Saw dust?? It seemed to hang around for ages with the bitterness. (I love bitter beers, so this wasn't off putting) It didn't go down too well, the strange sandy flavour was confusing. Is this the Fuggles I am not liking?

What I am getting at is this: Is this a true to style example of an IPA, and if not, can anyone give me some other examples to try?

Cheers, John.

Keep going John, it will grow on you, becomes addictive :lol: The earthiness is most likely the Fuggle, the bittering hop Super Alpha can seem a bit savage and a little citrusy (well thats how my palate perceives it). Get into some Alpha Pale and Fat Yak then come back to the JSIPA, it will grow on you.

Cheers,

Screwy

Meantime IPA. Classic IPA
:huh: An English interpretation of the American interpretation of an English IPA? Not sure how it made it to the BJCP examples, but damn it's good.

This is currently pouring from the hand pump at the Wheatsheaf here in Adelaide, and although it's unbelievably good drinking, I'm not sure I'd call it 'classic'. Then again, 'classic' for an English IPA has lost and re-found its meaning so many times that it's hard to classify it anymore.

Cheers, John.

Know what you mean, just never been able to put my finger on it!
Cheers jyo

:huh: An English interpretation of the American interpretation of an English IPA? Not sure how it made it to the BJCP examples, but damn it's good.

This is currently pouring from the hand pump at the Wheatsheaf here in Adelaide, and although it's unbelievably good drinking, I'm not sure I'd call it 'classic'. Then again, 'classic' for an English IPA has lost and re-found its meaning so many times that it's hard to classify it anymore.

Plenty of pale malt and is all Fuggles and EKG. That's about as IPA as it gets for mine...

Could say the exact same thing about James Squire IPA though...?

Yes but it's all about amounts I think.
JS IPA is in theory an example of the style but it falls short in a way that Meantime doesn't to me.

JS IPA is in theory an example of the style but it falls short in a way that Meantime doesn't to me.

Hasn't made its way here inside a shipping container like a real IPA does?! :p

Yeah that's my point, just because a beer has these ingredients in it doesn't make it classic, it all depends on how the recipe is formulated and the levels/combinations of each ingredient.

Latest posts

Back