James Squire Pub Opening In Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. I got caught out :p

Pale seems to be my style of the year. Wheat, maybe just this month :p

I thought the Docklands Pale tasted pretty nasty. The style was much too thin and lagery for my liking, but it was also bland and soapy, you could definitely taste that it had been driven across the Nullabor. When I was at the Melbourne Brewhouse earlier this year they had an amazing American style pale on tap, really hoppy and bold. The Docklands Pale at Generous Squire was nothing compared to that beer, probably just a few unwanted kegs from Melbourne they needed to get rid of.

My faith in Perth pub prices was partially restored last night. I went to the Northbridge and paid $9.50 for a pint of Coopers PA. Had another one and then switched to JS Amber. Handed over $20 and the barman said "$12". "Bloody hell I thought" and reached for the wallet. But no, $12 for 2 pints! Apparently they Amber was on special. Wish I'd know before I bought the Coopers.
Does make you wonder though, how can they justify a 30% premium on the Coopers?

...Does make you wonder though, how can they justify a 30% premium on the Coopers?

You pay more because it's closer.

Also I remember something about breweries installing draught system at the cost of selling certain beers for X amount of time. They might get some beers on special and be forced to hike up other prices. Or they're gouging money from your wallet.

Half full, half empty you choose.

I just noticed going back through some posts that the girl is growing an extra head.

Poor thing I hope she doesn't get ridculed too much.

I haven't been to this place yet and I'm debating whether I go this weekend or save the money and put it towards a chest freezer :icon_drool2:

had the pale ale there last night, wow what an underwhelming beer, tasted much like rob said an "aussie ale" food was tasty,a geezer said they should be brewing there in 1-2 weeks, however I think that might be a bit optimistic. Its quite inviting, and looks like they have already got a reasonable crowd there

Mrs came into town yesterday so went there for lunch - service is fantastic that's for sure and the meals were large. Had a couple of pints whilst eating and got a few coins in change from $100. Won't be doing that again in a hurry. They sundowner wasn't available - not that I would ask for it as it's quite unimpressive. IPA and Golden Ale suit me quite fine.

That being said I will be there tomorrow afternoon from 5 as work is putting on some drinks for us - social club budget has to be spent somehow.

edit - walking past this morning and there's a lot of shiny s/s piping connecting the various vessels to the exchanger. Still a bit of a shambles but at least it's showing signs of progress.

I frequent Perth now and again from Karratha and was looking for some local knowledge about the best plce to go for a decent pint. Usually stay at the ridges.

There's a little restaurant down a small alley way accross the road from the Ridges that sells Old Speckled Hen in a bottle, costly at $12 a bottle, but a nice change :D Tasted quite different to what I remember back in Blighty (UK), on tap tho!!

Diggles

I frequent Perth now and again from Karratha and was looking for some local knowledge about the best plce to go for a decent pint. Usually stay at the ridges.

There's a little restaurant down a small alley way accross the road from the Ridges that sells Old Speckled Hen in a bottle, costly at $12 a bottle, but a nice change :D Tasted quite different to what I remember back in Blighty (UK), on tap tho!!

Diggles

The Moon & Sixpence on Murray St usually has a decent selection of that kind of thing, that might be the one you're referring to. The Generous Squire is just a bit further up Murray, away from the city centre, and the Belgian BC. Besides that it's all super-swank bars around that area, who daren't sell anything more exotic than Asahi.

The Moon & Sixpence on Murray St usually has a decent selection of that kind of thing, that might be the one you're referring to. The Generous Squire is just a bit further up Murray, away from the city centre, and the Belgian BC. Besides that it's all super-swank bars around that area, who daren't sell anything more exotic than Asahi.

Thanks mate, I'll go on a scouting mission next time and check them out.

i disagree. yes you can get asahi at a few of those places, but you can also get matilda bay alpha pale ale (CBD bar), feral white & JS amber (durty's and the melbourne), pintzillas of LCPA and a selection of alhambra (andaluz), wiehenstephan hefe (emporio) to name a few...you just need to know where to go ;-)

i was at the JS brewhouse on King St Wharf in sydney this week. had the governor king which is a fruity hoppy ale, damn tasty :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back