James Squire Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcano

Reaction score
Was in Ballina last weekend and got into the JS Amber Ale. Great drop IMHO.
Does anyone have any recipes to try and emulate this?

I would absolutely love to make this beer.

Cheers,

Matt.

ESB have an Amber Ale fresh wort kit. Not at all dissimilar. Even simpler than k+k too :D

Hi,

I have made a good clone with a morgans royal oak amber ale and 1.5 kg of unhooped malt. try fuggles for hops...12 gm

mick said:
try fuggles for hops...12 gm

No. Should be American hops. eg, Northern Brewer for woody aroma rather than cascade's floral/fruity nose more suitable for a Pale Ale (see skunk fart ale thread).

You could make this as an extract only beer quite easily.

Enough pale extract to make 1.050 OG, dark caramel or crystal malt - about 150g should do for a start - (cheers JM ;)) and some Northern Brewer for about 30 IBUs and a handful for flavour and another handful for aroma. Use an American Ale yeast like WLP001 or just a basic Safale S-04 if the budget won't stretch.

In fact I might put a batch on myself. I have some Northern Brewer pellets just sitting there in the fridge, an old WLP001 that I've been meaning to re-use and three empty carboys.... sounds like a recipe for Amber Ale to me!

I put on a 1.053 OG AA on the long weekend. It's now bubbling away furiously underneath wet towels and ice cubes... I used about 200g ea of CaraMunich and Crystal, 1 Kg of Pale Ale Malt, 500g of Wheat Malt and about 2.7Kg of DME. Perle for bittering and Northern Brewer for flavour and aroma. Smells good during active fermentation! WLP001 recultured from a stubby of trub that's been in the fridge for a year made a nice healthy 2L starter.

A little bit of chocolate malt might also be nice in an amber. Goldings/Fuggles could also be used. Fairly high BU:GU ratio

Jovial Monk

I've put on the MSB Pale Ale and that came up a treat.
Nearly all gone now though. :angry:

Back