Burleigh Twisted Palm - hops for orange, mango, papaya flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not a big Pale Ale fan anymore but was given a really nice gift hamper that included 5 PAs - and one of them was a Burleigh heads Twisted Palm Tropical Pale Ale. The hop flavor in this beer was great - by their description and the taste, orange, mango and papaya.

I've checked out their website and no mention of the exact hops they use of course - but give the details as: Ingredients: Malted barley, tropical hops, yeast and water. 23 IBU, 7 EBC

I'd love to try and make something like this with a crisper grain bill more to my tastes - does anyone know what hops might be good candidates to replicate this combination of fruit flavours? Online searches pointed to Azacca as a potential candidate and maybe Idaho 7 .

Relatively low IBUs but lots of flavour so would assume larger late hop additions. If anyone has used other hops that impart these flavours - or even had a crack at something like the Twisted Palm I'd love to hear your advice.

As an aside - I went and bought more of this beer after tasking the initial one. I don't know if the recipe has changed - or if the 6 pack I got from Dan Murphy's had been sitting there un-refrigerated for ages (or maybe sat in a warehouse at 30 degrees for a while at some point) but it tasted like a completely different beer. Far less tropical fruit character, more standard galaxy pale ale flavour. Was super disappointing.

Hops, Bound to be Galaxy in there but not sure any others. It was obviously bought out when the local rival Stone & Wood Pacific got tap space everywhere on the Northern Rivers / Gold Coast

Thanks for the reply - have been away for most of April so missed it. The first one tasted like there was a bit of galaxy in there, the second like there was a lot more. Interesting that they got bought out - always a point where the product can and usually does change. Anyway - will do some experimenting and see what comes of it.

I found this article with comments from the brewer. He mentions Pandanus. Not sure if that was as an actual ingredient or just inspiration.

https://www.beerandbrewer.com/burleigh-brewing-twisted-palm-pure-gold/

Inspiration, Pandanus is the palm tree image on the Bottle, a fixture in the dunes of Gold Coast Beaches

1651708410135.png

Thanks for the reply - have been away for most of April so missed it. The first one tasted like there was a bit of galaxy in there, the second like there was a lot more. Interesting that they got bought out - always a point where the product can and usually does change. Anyway - will do some experimenting and see what comes of it.

Sorry, typo. BB brought out the new beer, they weren't bought out.

The irony is that Stone & wood have now been bought out themselves

Back