James Squire Amber Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
hi,

I would love to find a James Squire Pale Ale style recipe. (As close as possible)
Does anyone have one or know any websites that have one.

I'm after concntrated kit ingredients, not the grains and all that jazz.

Thanks

hi,

I would love to find a James Squire Pale Ale style recipe. (As close as possible)
Does anyone have one or know any websites that have one.

I'm after concntrated kit ingredients, not the grains and all that jazz.

Thanks

I haven't seen the JS Pale Ale before...didnt know they brewed one commercially.
Ive attempted to brew many Golden Ales though...nice drop!
Where have you tried it?
I and many friends would buy it all the time if it exists....

I haven't seen the JS Pale Ale before...didnt know they brewed one commercially.
Ive attempted to brew many Golden Ales though...nice drop!
Where have you tried it?
I and many friends would buy it all the time if it exists....

Sorry, I meant James Squire Amber Ale.

Also is it possible to change the thread title to Amber Ale?

Thanks

i was about to say, james squire doesnt have a pale ale. little creatures do though.

anyway, Noxious do you recon you could post up your recipe for golden ale?

thanks
gerald

Country Brewer have a recipe for it on their site countrybrewer.com.au (no affliation etc etc) so I'd give them a shot if you're keen

Country Brewer have a recipe for it on their site countrybrewer.com.au (no affliation etc etc) so I'd give them a shot if you're keen

Is it possible to make a James Squire Amber Ale clone using can concentrate or do you need to do mashing etc?

Is it possible to make a James Squire Amber Ale clone using can concentrate or do you need to do mashing etc?

depends how close to the original you want. What you should have asked is " Can I make a good beer in the style of JSAA using extract material rather than AG ?". The answer is "Of Course".

How ?

That's a horse of an entirely different colour. Next contestant please .............

i was about to say, james squire doesnt have a pale ale. little creatures do though.

....well, it's true they don't have an APA or British PA, however they do make an excellent IPA which, IMHO is their best beer.

Cheers,
Michael.

In answer to the original question (and pedantics of others aside), Brewmaster do a James Squire Amber Ale kit that is hard to pick form the genuine...

Brewmaster do a JS Golden Ale kit as well.

Will look at the recipe tonight...

This is the recipe I used:

Muntons Blonde Extract
Black Rock Amber Malt Extract
5g Golden Cluster Hops (simmer in 300ml water for 2 min, rest 15min, filter into fermenter)
Safale US05

Made up to 21L

og 1.061
fg 1.009

Hope that helps mate :D

This is the recipe I used:

Muntons Blonde Extract
Black Rock Amber Malt Extract
5g Golden Cluster Hops (simmer in 300ml water for 2 min, rest 15min, filter into fermenter)
Safale US05

Made up to 21L

og 1.061
fg 1.009

Hope that helps mate :D

Thanks Heaps! How did your brew compare with the commercial JSAA?

So basically I add Muntons Blonde Extract & Black Rock Amber Malt Extract to 2 - 4 litres of hot water as usual with a concentrate like coopers then set aside while simmering hops and filter using a material such as an old tea towel?? Add water to 21L and then add yeast!?

Is all this correct or do you do it differently?

Thanks again.

So basically I add Muntons Blonde Extract & Black Rock Amber Malt Extract to 2 - 4 litres of hot water as usual with a concentrate like coopers then set aside while simmering hops and filter using a material such as an old tea towel?? Add water to 21L and then add yeast!?

Thanks again.

Commercial kitchens aren't supposed to use tea-towels anymore to avoid food poisoning, I would recommend you keep such items the hell away from your beer.

Thanks again.

The Munton's Blonde is the concentrate, so no need for the Coopers concentrate...I filter through a sanitised kitchen sieve and I made up to the 21L mark. Otherwise your right to go.

I consider this recipe to be closer to JSAA than what most of the clone kits are to there respective brews.

I like the sound of this one. Thanks for asking the question beer007 and thanks for the recipe Leigh.

I checked my nearest homebrew shop in Ballarat and they have all the ingredients. Now to consume enough bought bottled beer to get the bottles :) :chug:

5g hops for a 21L brew? you wont get a single thing from that small amount of hops! one of my more recent brews used over 7g per litre!

that, and golden cluster are pretty different than willamette, which is the feature hop in james squire amber ale.

use the blonde kit and amber extract if you want, and at least 40g of willamette boiled in 2L of water and 100g of the amber malt, then strain into or dump the whole lot (hops and all) your carboy with the rest of the ingrediants.

the yeast you use is also pretty important. amber ale's flavour is very focused on the maltyness of it. if you aren't ready to use a liquid yeast, go for safale s-04 dried yeast (available at any half decent homebrew store)

Have a look at the www.brewcraftsa.com.au site. They have a kit for JS Golden Ale. It has a lot more in it than the recipe above.

Heres the link to it. [post="0"]http://www.brewcraftsa.com.au/showProduct/Recipe+Favourite+Packs/Recipe+Favourite+Packs/20943/James+Squire+Golden+Ale+Style[/post]

just noticed the recipe Leigh posted was for golden ale, not amber ale.

cluster is still nothing like the feature hop in golden ale, which is amarillo.

to make something like this id just take any pale ale style kit, a kilo of wheat malt (which is usually 50-50 pale and wheat malts) and 30-40g of amarillo.

2/3 your hops in 2L of water with 100g of malt extract for 20min, and the rest a minute or so before you turn off the heat. let sit for a few extra minutes, then strain into your carboy with the rest of the ingredients (or just pour the lot in, the hops will settle out eventually). ferment with us-05 yeast.

a couple hundred grams of some 60ebc crystal malt steeped in 2L of 70C water then boiled and added to the mix definatley wouldnt go astray either.

No, the recipe I posted above was for Amber Ale...I have the ingrediants to do the Golden Ale and it has a few variations, including the amarillo hops...

Latest posts

Back