James Squire Amber Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now I am confused , and sober :(

Hi all,

The recipe I used is as follows

1.7 kg Morgans royal oak amber ale kit
1 kg of #22 Amber Blend (dry malt extract) or 1kg of liquid amber malt
24 grams goldings Hops ( steeped for 10 minutes in a coffee mug then tip everything into the fermenter)

Safale S-04 yeast

This receipe is one of my favorites and have made many times

Cede

I made one from a recipe suggested by my LHBS...

Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale
1kg Body Brew (600g dextrose, 400g maltodextrin)
500g Light Dry Malt
200g Crystal Grain, steeped for 20mins in boiling water
Safale US-56 yeast
12g Goldings

Its 6 weeks old now, i cracked one open the other night and its a bit gassy (might have overprimed it a bit) but tastes ok, no bombs yet.

Why does everyone keep suggesting hops beside willamette?

its common knowledge its the feature hop in amber ale, so why use goldings or golden cluster?

This is the recipe I used:

Muntons Blonde Extract
Black Rock Amber Malt Extract
5g Golden Cluster Hops (simmer in 300ml water for 2 min, rest 15min, filter into fermenter)
Safale US05

Made up to 21L

og 1.061
fg 1.009

Hope that helps mate :D
Back when I was K&King I did a few which were basically the same as this, but used willamette (there you go OM39A :beer: ) but I used more than 5g.

Steep your hops in a coffee plunger to avoid the "old tea towel". Use a good yeast rather than the 1 under the lid

What do you consider to be a good yeast?

just about anything other than the one that comes under the lid of most kits.

if you want a cheap decent dried yeast, go for safale s-04.

if you want to branch out and try something better, then just about any english liquid yeast, but there isnt really much point in doing this if you are just kit and kilo brewing.

just about anything other than the one that comes under the lid of most kits. If you want a cheap decent dried yeast, go for safale s-04. If you want to branch out and try something better, then just about any english liquid yeast, but there isnt really much point in doing this if you are just kit and kilo brewing.

Experimentation is always fun. Using different yeasts will get you different results so is dependant on your expected results. Try a K & K using a S-04 or a US-56 and see if you can tell the difference from your early efforts. These yeasts are cheaper than liquid yeasts so are a great starting point. Google the Wyeast site and read the many different yeasts they have and what the expected outcomes can be. It's mind boggling but makes sense in time and with experience.

For your JAAA clone either the two main dry yeasts will do a good job. Try and you have climbed the next rung in the ladder.

What do you consider to be a good yeast?
as already mentioned try US56 (US05) or S04, better still split the batch and do half with each (or make 2 batches & use a different yeast in each) - you will have 2 different beers. The S04 is a bit softer and fruitier (due to the esters), whereas the US56/US05/WLP001 will be "cleaner" and highlight the hops a bit more (in my experience). Lots of people like Nottingham (another dry yeast) but I find it a but dry & dusty.

Good dry yeasts can be bought from the site sponsors or a decent LHBS.

You could also try a liquid english or american yeast as also mentioned. Another option is to go for a nice german ale like an alt to highlight the maltiness. I think liquid yeasts are worth a try even with K&K, they are more work/expense but there is such a variety & the "cold" side of brewing (ie fermentation) is where at least 50% of the beers character comes from (IMHO). See if you can hook up with a local brewer who uses liquid yeasts & get some from them.

Don't forget sanitation practices and temperature control are essential for all brewing.

Country Brewer have a recipe for it on their site countrybrewer.com.au (no affliation etc etc) so I'd give them a shot if you're keen

If I was to brew up a JSAA recipe such as the one on country brewer:

http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/category4_1.htm

1 x Rapid Creek Pale Ale

1.5kg Amber Malt
150g Crystal Grain

2 x 12g Willamette Finishing Hop (Dry + Infusion Methods)
1 x Safale S-04 Yeast

How long should I let the beer age in the bottle before opening?

Both Minimum time and Ideal time would be good :p

If I was to brew up a JSAA recipe such as the one on country brewer:

http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/category4_1.htm

1 x Rapid Creek Pale Ale

1.5kg Amber Malt
150g Crystal Grain

2 x 12g Willamette Finishing Hop (Dry + Infusion Methods)
1 x Safale S-04 Yeast

How long should I let the beer age in the bottle before opening?

Both Minimum time and Ideal time would be good :p

Personally I would say minimum two, just for the carbonation, ideally 4 weeks to lose that "green" taste.
Cheers

Back