Its on....a new leader ALP?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You reckon he could join the libs and challenge Abbot for the job?!

Liam_snorkel said:
there was an election in 2010, you may remember.
Sequence of events my friend.
Was that the election where the general public thought they had voted a party leader in (Kevin 07) but he was later disposed by members within his party and subsequently, or in reaction to, the voting public then decided in the next election that they didn't have confidence in either party, so it ended up that the results showed that 50% of the voters didn't like one party and 50% of the population didn't like the other, so then the disposer bought a few independents to gain a couple of votes to get into the captains chair? Let's not forget that the public did not vote Juliar in; 50% of the population voted against her.
Whilst we vote the individual members in, which determines who gets the majority and thus leadership of the nation, the general populace IMO votes for members depending upon who their leader is. The general populace thought they voted Kev into power in 07.The party thought they knew better and in 2010 the public said, "Is that what you reckon? Well, yeah, nah, we don't like any of youse."

^ lot of words, and in sum you said nothing.

The independents weren't "bought". Did you listen to the reasons they gave for supporting labor?
I had a large post written but deleted it because **** it - it's Friday night. Cheers! :)

Malted said:
then the disposer bought a few independents to gain a couple of votes to get into the captains chair?
So disband the Coalition?

I always wonder how many of the people who complain about the independent thing probably don't know that the Liberals have never once formed government without their slow cousins from the north.

I saw Bob Katter today, I was barely 10 metres from him on a cold morning outside a sparsely grassed hangar.

Oh yea, true story

Worst name-drop ever.

I would of shook his hand if he wasn't on the phone the whole while!

Words with Friends?

Oh...

Hmnnnnn I suppose he could've been booking a visit to Fyshwick.

Hmnnnnn

If Labor win the election you're getting Shorten as PM. I bet he disposes of Rudd soon after.

Life under conservative Libs, or Union Labor.

Everybody seems to forget why K was outed in the first place. Couldn't have happened unless the scenewas set with the popularity polls plumetting, the media riding him for being a wishy washy fool and the general public of this land of Oz talking about what a useless fop he was all the time.

Now of course it's all a romanticised scene that he was taken out by his party while he had the full support of the voting public. He's worked hard on his image and his presentation, maybe hard enough but i doubt it.

Truth was that people thought they'd made a mistake soon after voting him in.

I don't think that's the point though Punkin, many people may have regretted voting for him but pretty much everyone I've talked to resented Gillard because no one voted for her, especially up here in Qld.

And yes, I do know that technically we vote for the parties, but 07 in particular had a real presidential feel to it, it was Johnny V Kevin, not Liberal V Labor.

Really? If it was just down to that, why would you vote for either?

For me it's about policies, particularly social policies: hence why I feel almost constant disappointment in all of them.

Malted said:
the voting public then decided in the next election that they didn't have confidence in either party, so it ended up that the results showed that 50% of the voters didn't like one party and 50% of the population didn't like the other
So the entire voting populace agreed prior to voting, to contrive the result in order to send a message? That must have been one hell of a hall to accommodate everyone when deciding the direction of millions of votes.

wouldn't worry about rudd or the labour party..remember when the liberals got in and said "NO GST" what happened..remember workplaces changes.and there's talk of fiddling with people's super..all i can say don't trust anyone the parade's around in speedo's
TonyAbbott.jpg

Clive will eventually rule. He will marry Gina and make beautiful babies. They will then inherit the earth and rule us all for $2hr

Donske said:
And yes, I do know that technically we vote for the parties, but 07 in particular had a real presidential feel to it, it was Johnny V Kevin, not Liberal V Labor.
Rudd won on the basis of the Presidential style popular campaign, and then became victim of his own creation. The 2020 summit a good example of populist agenda with no substance.

Personally I like neither party right now, but unfortunately Australia gets the politicians it deserves. People simply don't have enough interest to drive good policy debate.

We are talking about seats here.
At the moment they are about level pegging.
Supposing Labor do not lose a single one of the 30 odd seats that have been predicted they will lose, which seats are they going to win to give them the majority?

tavas said:
If Labor win the election you're getting Shorten as PM. I bet he disposes of Rudd soon after.
Wouldn't that cause a conflict of interest with his mother in-law being the Governor General?

Mattress said:
Wouldn't that cause a conflict of interest with his mother in-law being the Governor General?
GG role doesn't have a fixed term but generally last 5 years, so good chance MIL would move on by then.

Shorten disposed of Kev in 2010, and its known that Rudd is anti union, so for Shorten to make a deal with him doesn't gel. My guess is the deal is reelect Kev, take it to the election and if Labor wins then Shorten takes over some time after that. He's got blood of 2 PM's on his hands so won't get elected to PM on his own. I think Rudd just wanted the Labor Party to come crawling back to him. He has no desire to continue on after September.

Back