Royal Commission into botched home insulation scheme.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It takes a special kind of inept politician to rush through legislation that causes 4 people to die and 150 houses to catch fire and they don't come much more inept than Kevin Rudd.

The (twice) former Prime Minister and if not the worst Prime Minister in Australia's history, then certainly the worst in living memory, will soon have his moment in the limelight again, when he fronts the Royal Commission into his own governments disastrous home insulation scheme.

Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for everyone else, Rudd's going to have to explain exactly who, was responsible for this catastrophe.

Newspaper article.

It could have been such a good thing too, if it had of been set up and run properly. Generated a lot of work, helped people that couldn't have otherwise afforded insulation, helped those same people lower their energy bills, and helped the environment through lower energy use. Great idea. Like many great ideas, It was destroyed by putting it into the hands of politicians.

Black Devil Dog said:
It takes a special kind of inept politician to rush through legislation that causes 4 people to die and 150 houses to catch fire and they don't come much more inept than Kevin Rudd.

The (twice) former Prime Minister and if not the worst Prime Minister in Australia's history, then certainly the worst in living memory, will soon have his moment in the limelight again, when he fronts the Royal Commission into his own governments disastrous home insulation scheme.

Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for everyone else, Rudd's going to have to explain exactly who, was responsible for this catastrophe.

Newspaper article.
so you're a labour voter...

And its was the state governments that where in charge of licencing,safety and regulations under state based OHwS laws. The feds funded it...but they where not responsible for the state based laws that where broken in the first place. If the states did there job, no one would have been killed.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the dodgy tradesmen involved...

And I'm sure this wouldn't happen under Abbott. (nobody be working for the Work Choices hourly rates)

90% were not even tradesman...we had one company that started as a dodgy used car couple...then saw the $$$ sign, mad a killing and cried " oh but its not fair your shutting the scheme down..." fuckem. No sympathy whatsoever. Why are they not going for the dodgy employers with shelf companies who broke the law in tge first place and ultimatly caused the death of the individuals.....but then again..that would not be very political.

Ducatiboy stu said:
And its was the state governments that where in charge of licencing,safety and regulations under state based OHwS laws. The feds funded it...but they where not responsible for the state based laws that where broken in the first place. If the states did there job, no one would have been killed.
I doubt many people realize how many "federal" programs are delivered by the states

Black Devil Dog said:

Newspaper article.
"The Australian"
need I say more?

They would be just as indignant and critical if the government had micro-managed the scheme

the company's should be held more accountable ,what training and safety equipment was supplied from what a i saw from the guys that did mine wasn't much..it was more a get rich scheme for fly by night company's.

Hierarchy of blame should start with the employer, the training,the industry skills council that developed the qual.

This is going to be the lamest royal commission ever - just a whole lot of people saying "no-one told us not to put staples through electric wires, how were we to know?"

Hardly the sort of stuff to make a lot of front page headlines, but I am sure The Oz will wring a few out of it.

The Liberals just a scalp. Its nothing more than a blatant attempt at political point scoring. Although it will divert the rapid medias attention away from a high ranking Liberal senator who has been caught with his snout firmly in the trough.

Whichever side of politics it comes from, an enquiry is still valid.

Someone fucked up somewhere.

By the way BDD - I have to be a subscriber to read the article unless I'm missing something?

I answered the door at my parents house late one night to the AFP wondering if we had insulation installed. Some guy had made 250 grand and never installed one bit of insulation. If you vote labour or liberal you cant deny how much of a **** up that scheme was

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

alcoadam said:
I'm sure it had nothing to do with the dodgy tradesmen involved...

And I'm sure this wouldn't happen under Abbott. (nobody be working for the Work Choices hourly rates)
What work choices?

I agree it was handled badly, typical ineptness. Seems the ALP couldn't run the proverbial chook raffle, though they were a better bunch under Hawke/Keating.

But I still think it will lack the political punch the Liberals would like, and wasting money on a royal comission when we have already had parliamentary enquiries isn't going to help anyone.

Black Devil Dog said:

Newspaper article.
Off topic I know, but he indirectly killed a hundred times more by removing the border protection laws.

browndog said:
What work choices?
The ones that "Dont exist". There not using work choices...just bits and peices of it..rearranged in a different order and put it in a new document that isnt called work choices

Latest posts

Back