It's All Happening-----finally

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry kabooby but it's a bit like the old Castrol Oil ads Fills ain't Fills. I would rather a controlled fill over some soup from someone's backyard, ya just wouldn't know what you were getting. Plus having worked for a dodgy land developer I know the kind of stuff they use for bulk filling estates.

Class 1 stabilised and certified fill currently costs around $68m3 if you can get it and that would be my choice. If screwy wanted to pier thru the fill to a substrata that would be suitable to support his structure then any fill might do. But then subsidence of that fill has the potential for hollowing under his slab which will be come an issue. Unfortunately in building there is always swings and round abouts, what you don't pay for here you end up paying for there.

Cheers

Chappo

Fair point chappo,

Who is this fill bloke anyway? :unsure:

Kabooby :)

Like Chappo says fill ain't necessarily fill, some is free but they need 150 cubic metres. The slab is bored piers, adds to the cost considerably. Shed is 12 x 10

Screwy

Like Chappo says fill ain't necessarily fill, some is free but they need 150 cubic metres. The slab is bored piers, adds to the cost considerably. Shed is 12 x 10

Screwy

Bored piers? Does that mean post holes with the shed frame in the hole and concreted? My neighbor had this set up and council refused the permit to pour the concrete as there were a few handfulls of dirt in the bottom of the holes!

I love council so much.

Like Chappo says fill ain't necessarily fill, some is free but they need 150 cubic metres. The slab is bored piers, add to the costs considerably. Shed is 12 x 10

Screwy

Screwy has your Builder/Engineer considered screw piles? (no pun intended although it is funny) As it's a lightweight structure it may prove a cheaper option. I have found them to be very cost effective verse boring holes and fillin' 'em full of concrete in the past.

http://www.steelfoundations.com.au/contact_us.html

Cheers

Chappo

True but so far no-one has suggested adding sugaz to the fill material or the concrete slab......

Cheers SJ
LMAO! mabe wwe've finally found a place for all those dead kittins and airlocks. bury them under your brewery. or even better, tins of goo. then you can say that your beer is made on beer (sorry bad carlton draft pun)

Might be safer to wait till the rain's stopped
tunnel.jpg

I thought bored peers were the guys at work having to listen to me waffle on about brewing and beer tasting ;) .

It all depends on what you are trying to do with it - and how long you can leave it to settle.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm doing almost the exact same thing in my backyard at the moment - nice large shed for cars + brewing gear. Part of my DA approval was that the finish floor level of the shed needed to be 700mm higher than the existing ground - I live on a relatively flat block.

Spoke to an engineer and came up with a waffle-pod slab that would reduce the amount of fill needed, but I still needed around 300mm of fill underneath the pods. This fiil needs to be compacted and relatively easy to spread and work. If I'd chased "free" fill from another excavation mob it would have ended up a sticky mess of clay and soil which would no doubt continue to settle and compact over 6 months or so. In the end I had to get around 75t of road-base style fill brought in so it could be compacted and spread. Cost me just under $2000 for the fill and around $600 to spread it.

Chucked on a couple of pics - slab is poured now and I'm waiting on wall frames to arrive.

Sorry - this ended up becoming a bit of a hijack.

Benniee
Just curious as to why the floor had to be 700mm above existing ground.

How the hell do you get your car in when the shed is 700mm higher than the ground...thats over 2 feet... :eek:

I would suspect that Bennie's land is flood prone. 1:14 earth ramp will get you there.

Cheers

Chappo

Screw piers are used in some house slabs, builder made no mention of them. Usually the steel fixings for the portals are sunk in the piers so that may be why they use bored piers, either that of to meet council/engineering specs.

You should see the dam er site at present.......fark.....tanks are full too at least :lol:

Screw piers are used in some house slabs, builder made no mention of them. Usually the steel fixings for the portals are sunk in the piers so that may be why they use bored piers, either that of to meet council/engineering specs.

You should see the dam er site at present.......fark.....tanks are full too at least :lol:

Ya poor bugger! This will cheer ya up a bit.

One of my companies projects has had 2 levels of basement car park disappear under an est 2.3m litres of water. A burst stormwater pipe undermined a shotcrete wall in the lower basement. Damn things completely flooded. Thankfully it happened very early this morning and all the subbies could get their tools out in time. Apparently the boys tell me it was looking like something out of the movie Posseidon. We are crossing our fingers that it hasn't undermined the road. You know the little lane way Ann St Brisbane FV!!! ;)

Cheers

Chappo

Just curious as to why the floor had to be 700mm above existing ground.

Yeah - As Chappo guessed we're on land that flooded recently. I live in Newcastle and my place was effected by the June storms in 2007. Plans are to ramp the driveway up to the finish height of the slab. The slab looks like this enormous monolithic blob rising up out of the ground at the moment. :)

You've got a lot of fill required by the sounds of you job - one of the problems with a sloping site I guess. Has the builder considered doing a cut and fill, to try and reduce the amount of fill he needs to bring in?

In designing/planning mine I took the attitude that a structure is only as good as it's foundation, which in my case is the slab.I didn't scrimp or penny pinch in this area. If needed I can do that later by doing some of the grunt work myself, or going without some of the "luxuries" for a while.

It's good fun, enjoy it and take plenty of pics of the progress.

Benniee

I was lucky enough to have a neighbour putting in a pool, and even more lucky that the clay dug out was of the right type for filling my site...when the concreters turned up, they thought it was going to be an easy job because of how much fill was there...I laughed really hard when the borer wouldn't go through the surface LOL :lol: :lol:

I've been lucky with my "free" fill to date...need about anouther 30-50m3, luckily no more "structural" fill...just filling holes etc

There is nothing more fun than building a Shed or a House... :rolleyes:
especially when contractors are involved... thats why i gave up after my slab went down and did everything else myself.

My slab is 6x12 and has that waffle style trenches around and across a few times..
Due to the soil test results i also have 36x 450mm concrete piers some as deep as 2.5metres dotted all over...
I had a bit of a nervous engineer as most of mine is a bit over-engineered in all aspects..as anyone who has been in it will vouch for.. :p

Anyway, keep soldiering on Screwy it will be worth it in the end... :icon_cheers:

Sqyre...

P.S. its not 2 storey is it? just wondering... :p

I thought bored peers were the guys at work having to listen to me waffle on about brewing and beer tasting ;) .

:icon_offtopic: They were only bored peers because they weren't able to imbibe themselves with samples of the beers you were describing :icon_cheers:

BTW - since when were our fellow surveyors ever bored talking about beer?? Seems almost sacrilegious to me... While I'm on my band wagon, they should bring back handing out long necks at surveyors institute meetings again :icon_drunk:

:icon_offtopic: They were only bored peers because they weren't able to imbibe themselves with samples of the beers you were describing :icon_cheers:

BTW - since when were our fellow surveyors ever bored talking about beer?? Seems almost sacrilegious to me... While I'm on my band wagon, they should bring back handing out long necks at surveyors institute meetings again :icon_drunk:

Not the surveyors - bloody digital imagery section. <_<
One of my mates has got a ground mark fixed on his bar out at Bunya (2nd order I think) .
Sorry for going OT, hope the tides not still rising up there.

Back