Italian Spiral Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not true, and a dangerous assumption to assert.

Your concrete slab could be fully dry and cured, but say there is a small air (or possibly water) bubble trapped in the concrete. Under extreme heat, the air trapped will expand.

My guess is that this is what caused Barl's/Crozdog infamous exploding floor incident. A kiln dried paving stone, or even a metal deflector plate should provide enough insulation that the heat never gets intense enough to provide enough pressure, plus is provides certain protection in the case it does. Play it smart, always use protection ;)

So it's an air/water pocket that makes the concrete explode? Given that I've used my burner for about a dozen batches is it safe to use it on that bit of concrete? If it was going to explode it would've by now right?

I'm happy to get some bricks but I'm brewing on Sunday & won't have a chance to get to a shop before then.

Im pretty sure there are some photos on beerbelly from when there concrete exploded!

So it's an air/water pocket that makes the concrete explode? Given that I've used my burner for about a dozen batches is it safe to use it on that bit of concrete? If it was going to explode it would've by now right?
I reckon you're probably right, and my thought processes came to exactly the same conclusion. Disclaimer - it's your legs that will get the concrete shards embedded in them, not mine :D

I'm happy to get some bricks but I'm brewing on Sunday & won't have a chance to get to a shop before then.
Dude! They're bricks! You don't go to the shops to buy 4 bricks!
Have a drive around, surely there's some construction going on in your neighbourhood somewhere. Not that I endorse that sort of thing, etc, etc, etc...

Well I'm gonna sit mine on an old outdoor BBQ that's long been retired. It has two nice big thick plates on top which are just perfect to sit my burner on.

I reckon you're probably right, and my thought processes came to exactly the same conclusion. Disclaimer - it's your legs that will get the concrete shards embedded in them, not mine :D

Dude! They're bricks! You don't go to the shops to buy 4 bricks!
Have a drive around, surely there's some construction going on in your neighbourhood somewhere. Not that I endorse that sort of thing, etc, etc, etc...

I was reading this at work as a call dropped in & almost laughed at an angry customer.

Well I'm gonna sit mine on an old outdoor BBQ that's long been retired. It has two nice big thick plates on top which are just perfect to sit my burner on.

Good point. I've got a spare BBQ which I can grab the plates from to save me having to raid any building sites.

Any chance of getting photos or a sketch posted for this?

I want to raise my burner and kettle up off the floor so I can drain directly into my NC cube, too.

Photos would be great. Been thinking about doing this myself.

Sorry for the delayed reply guys. Been mowing lawns and all the other fun stuff like that!!

Pretty basic, but its solid as a rock. Just at the right height to drain into a cube with a short length of silicon hose. Noice!

The photos are off my phone and look a little deceptive height wise... It works but! This was just after I bought the burner and the pot (sans ball valve)... Looks a little different these days :huh:

06112010.jpg

06112010_003.jpg

06112010_002.jpg

This is my mount.......

Built it out of that metalmate stuff at the big green shed (think meccano for big boys)

30112010064.jpg

I'm thinking about making up some wind shields for it and also a heat shield for the base as even at that height the concrete was getting warm after a 60min boil.

I tend to just use besser bricks from the big green shed...

med_gallery_15564_716_90516.jpg

Cost me under $10 and it'll do the job until the brew rig is done.

Latest posts

Back