Isb Big Belgian Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasmeant too meetsomeone to get a thermomenter of today..Couldnot find you in My PMS..can you PM me so I can give you some Money..

Thanks for getting me over today guys...got me all pumped again for the brew bug. Working on a 'bookbinder' recipe already and tried to get to bunnings to do a refurb on the brewery.....

I thought I had lost my brew mojo...I THINK I FOUND IT AGAIN!!!

and thanks to Croz for Hosting :) Good times thanks gents. I hope you were able to retrieve the Thermometer from the bottom of the mash :)

I had a good day, thanks all for making it such an enjoyable day!

Kelly
sorry for trying to be funny about the NZ thing, Just trying to get back up after being hit on the head 43 times by Chris for being Norwegian! I know it;s a bad excuse, won;'t happen again.

Bjorn

Barls I did not get to thank you for the cube.

Which is in Bill's car now and might not find its way to Manly! :rolleyes: Stuck in Seaforth! Mark, feel free to come around and have a taste when the brew is in the keg! :unsure:
Naah, we wouldn't do that to you, I believe Bill is dropping it off tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks to all you ICB guys, especially Croz for hosting and letting us NBBC guys take a look how things are done on a big scale. It certainly was worth the trip all the way from the Northern Beaches.
I hope we can get that kind of community brewing of the ground one day and you can be our guests.

Pete

Thanks Boys it was great wish I could have got there earlier and yes got Pumpy home safely.

Franko

Cheers for the great day and to Croz for organising and overseeing everything, hope you are feeling better today after a well deserved rest. Thanks also to all for sharing their great and varied beers and good conversations.

Glad Pumpy survived and thanks to Franko for turning up as an evening reinforcement in the brewery.

Cheers to Linz for the new tun and also to Jake for dropping it home for me. Yes the thermometer was found at the very base of the mash tun.

Here is a pic to show the fun towards the end of the night.
29052010105a.JPG
I'll upload some more pics later this evening.

aarived safetly this morning.. thanks guys

Which is in Bill's car now and might not find its way to Manly! :rolleyes: Stuck in Seaforth! Mark, feel free to come around and have a taste when the brew is in the keg! :unsure:
Naah, we wouldn't do that to you, I believe Bill is dropping it off tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks to all you ICB guys, especially Croz for hosting and letting us NBBC guys take a look how things are done on a big scale. It certainly was worth the trip all the way from the Northern Beaches.
I hope we can get that kind of community brewing of the ground one day and you can be our guests.

Pete

Thanks Croz for holding another brewday at what is becoming the ISB clubhouse. I think Barls has set the date for the next one at his place on 17 Jul?

cheers for the thanks. It wouldn't have been such a top day without all the great company, beers & (dare I say) "slaves" to help out!!

It was a long day, but I must say, 600L has to be some sort of record doesn't it? :beer: :super:

Big ups for the Northern Beaches boys for making the trip over. I firmly believe that days like yesterday are just as much as getting a bunch of like folk together who share a common passion and swap knowledge & experience as well as share some sensational home crafted brews. Through that we learn & become better.

There are still a few cube here to pick up & a I'm owed $ by a couple of folk. No hassle - fix me up when you pick up your cube.

BTW, Someone left a blue cooler bag & ice bricks.

Here are the final recipes - haven't updated a couple of the final OG's cause I can't remember em B)

isb big blg dark strong Ale

Date: 29/05/2010
Batch Size: 150.00 L
Boil Size: 170.09 L
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
30.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 61.48 %
9.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 18.44 %
2.00 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 4.10 %
0.90 kg Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (37.4 EBC) Grain 1.84 %
0.90 kg Special B (Dingemans) (290.6 EBC) Grain 1.84 %
180.00 gm Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 31.7 IBU
6.00 kg Candi Sugar, Amber (147.8 EBC) Sugar 12.30 %

Est Original Gravity: 1.079 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.086 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Bitterness: 31.7 IBU
Est Color: 40.4 EBC

isb big blg abbey ale

Ingredients
20.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 58.48 %
6.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 17.54 %
1.00 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 2.92 %
0.60 kg Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (37.4 EBC) Grain 1.75 %
0.60 kg Special B (Dingemans) (290.6 EBC) Grain 1.75 %
90.00 gm Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
6.00 kg Candi Sugar, Amber (147.8 EBC) Sugar 17.54 %

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Bitterness: 19.1 IBU
Est Color: 35.5 EBC

isb big blg triple

30.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 58.82 %
9.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 17.65 %
6.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 11.76 %
270.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 27.3 IBU
6.00 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 11.76 %

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.084 SG
Bitterness: 27.3 IBU
Est Color: 8.6 EBC

isb big blg bipa runnings

20.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 55.56 %
6.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 16.67 %
4.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 11.11 %
2.00 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 5.56 %
180.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.9 IBU
180.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
90.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
90.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
4.00 kg Candi Sugar, Amber (147.8 EBC) Sugar 11.11 %

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Bitterness: 49.2 IBU
Est Color: 28.8 EBC

After feeling ok yesterday, today the whole family is sick and throwing up again, like on Friday ..

Can it be all the Belgian Beers I was around on Saturday?
As I was driving it can't have been anything I drank, hmm..

Belgian Beers are bad!
:(

Bjorn

Thanks Croz for organizing and hosting brew marathon. Good opportunity to meet so many brewers and try lots of different brews.

Cheers,
Boris

Thanks for having us Croz - had to make a quick exit at the end so couldn't help with the last bit of cleaning up, I promise to empty and clean the mash tun next time!

I'm building up a starter of WLP510 Bastogne yeast (non-brett part of Orval) to hit the Tripel with.

There were as always some great beers served by their respective brewers which is always a treat at these events, I recall a great IPA, citra APA, Sour cherry wit, braggot, Pumpy's Saison, other assorted APA's, a great brown ale etc etc.

Really enjoyed hanging out with everyone just wish this was a more common occurrence.

I forgot to take notes and ask everyone but if you are interested please put your names down for judging at the up and coming ESB club comp.

Croz,

Thanks for hosting the day and allowing visitors to come along. I had a great time.

Did you end up pitching into the gutter or did you go for the spentaneous fermentation? :D

I can barely wait forthe next brew day you have.

Cheers to everyone else who talked beer and made it a good afternoon.

Brendan

Cheers to Croz for a great brew day. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Looking forward to the Dark Strong....yum.

I forgot to take notes and ask everyone but if you are interested please put your names down for judging at the up and coming ESB club comp.

Thanks for that Michael.
Would have loved to catch up, but alas was on knees laying tiles.

Rgds,
Peter

That shed has had a makeover and a half Phil.

Hows the gas going???

Happy to say I'm dong a brew this arvo, thanks to the weather raining of the kids sport this weekend, a harvest ale no less using all the columbus picked on the case swap day.

Hey Guys,

Just pitched the Dark Strong with WLP545 (thanks Barls). Did a gravity measurement and got 22.4 Brix so about 1.090. Awesome!

K

Latest posts

Back