Is There An Aluminium Debate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The inside of the cans is actually lined with an epoxy coating. So yes that story is full of crap; they got their Al poisoning from elsewhere.

Ahhh, it was probably the epoxy poisoning that made him full of crap.

Ever tried to set up a scaffold without a good base?

Which leads to the conclusion that all metals have admirable qualities in the right situation.

I think my main point was - everyone has a preference for something but the debate surrounding aluminium as boil pot beyond personal preference is uninteresting, inconclusive and not worth reliving unless you're a scientist examining potential issues with aluminium as a kettle material in a brewery situation.

Doesn't cause alzheimers, will conduct heat well and boil your wort just fine, does need to be cleaned properly (as does all brew equipment), is corrosion resistant (due to its almost immediate protective corrosion layer), is lightweight, doesn't look as pretty as stainless, can be used in a brewery no issue unless you prefer a different material.

I think I'll make a scaffold from my spent hops.

I think my main point was...[snip]...[insert reasonable thing that was said here]

My point was that you ignored his point which was that a good SS pot will have a thicker base than a good ali pot.

Which leads to the conclusion that all metals have admirable qualities in the right situation.
No. There is never a good excuse for nu-metal.

Never.

And for the record, most scaff I see is gal anyway. Not that it has any relevance to the context in which it was raised.

Consult the brewer's friend John Palmer, and bow down at the bible of homebrewing 'How to Brew' and you will find what you seek.

There was a concern 10 years ago that the use of aluminium in cooking and the ingestion of aluminium contributed to
alzheimer's disease. The medical study that generated the controversy was later found to be flawed due to contamination
of the test samples. An independent experiment conducted by Jeff Donaghue and reported in 'Brewing Techniques'
showed that in a side by side aluminium vs stainless steel boils of wort from a single mash, there was no detectable
difference in the amount of aluminium between the samples either before or after fermentation.

Source: John Palmer 'How to Brew' printed version, p.316 Appendix G. This is not available in the online version I can find.

Unfortunately there are side effects to aluminium according to the author, but not of the health kind - more a flavour thing:

Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered
to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high
iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause
metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes
turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250F for about
6 hours.

Source link: John Palmer 'How to Brew' online versionSection under Metallic Off Flavours

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Hopper.

pH level greater than 9 might give some other things to worry about.

@bum - without getting too pedantically semantic, I suggested aluminium should have qualities that most would find admirable in a metal, regardless of whether they considered it good for a boil pot. The answer was that SS pots had a better base which is neither here nor there when considering said admirable qualities. Admirable qualities exist, regardless of less admirable ones/more admirable ones of other materials.

Shall we discuss this another day (or not)?

nu metal is horrible

nu metal is horrible

Not sure I can agree that the context of a brew pot is entirely irrelevant but I'm more than happy to put the issue to bed with the above resolution.

When it comes to preference, if there's something that is better for the purpose then personally I feel that the lesser metal is not admirable.

So when the blonde is standing next to the brunette and both have different qualities but you prefer the brunette, the blonde suddenly becomes ugly?

So when the blonde is standing next to the brunette and both have different qualities but you prefer the brunette, the blonde suddenly becomes ugly?

It's not the brunette that would make the blonde ugly but the blonde herself.

I can hit a ball with a bat but is it something that Sir Donald would admire?

He's more of a golfball/stick man.

Well perhaps he would think that it was no big deal I could hit a golf ball against a corrugated iron tank with a wicket time after time but he was a tea-totaller.
Did they use Aluminium in tea pots?
spelling - teetotalist, probably nothing to do with tea

lightweight can be good but a good thick steel base would be better

i'm lucky this pot i got has a really thick base for an ally pot, i think it's out of a commercial kitchen.

i'll be using it for my first BIAB.

The pot will do just fine, pfs. Best of luck with the brew!

spelling - teetotalist, probably nothing to do with tea

Code:
Etymology 

One anecdote attributes the origin of the word to a meeting of the Preston Temperance Society in 1832 or 1833. This society was founded by Joseph Livesey, who was to become a leader of the temperance movement and the author of The Pledge: "We agree to abstain from all liquors of an intoxicating quality whether ale, porter, wine or ardent spirits, except as medicine." The story attributes the word to Dicky Turner, a member of the society, who had a stammer, and in a speech said that nothing would do but "tee-tee-total abstinence". 

An alternate explanation is that teetotal is simply a reduplication of the 'T' in total (T-total). It is said that as early as 1827 in some Temperance Societies signing a 'T' after one's name signified one's pledge for total abstinence.[3] In England in the 1830s, when the word first entered the lexicon, it was also used in other contexts as an emphasized form of total. In this context, the word is still used, predominantly in the southern United States.

So maybe Our Don drank lagers?

It's the aluminium in deodourant that should be more a cause for alarm as you spray it directly onto the skin repeatedly on a daily basis. Oh well some supposedly do so :eek:

Latest posts

Back