Is There A General Distain For Americans In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are only a handful of Beefy's, between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast.

I've never viewed 40 thousand years of culture as bogan.

Really?
Uncivilised, ignorant, shabby attire, uncultured, violent, communicates with grunts and hand gestures, lacks basic hygiene, frequently fights over property / females, scavengers, gathers in tribes.

I'd suggest Palaeolithic man was the original bogan.

Really?
Uncivilised, ignorant, shabby attire, uncultured, violent, communicates with grunts and hand gestures, lacks basic hygiene, frequently fights over property / females, scavengers, gathers in tribes.

That's a harsh assessment of the English.

You guys haven't got Ridgey Didge pies? They set the standard for a chain store i think, although i've never heard of beefies.

Ridgey Didge is NSW only by the looks

Beefies is only Brisbane

WA has got Jesters Pies

is there no great aussie wide pie ?

Really?

Au contraire:

has specific vocal language, art, technology, cultural mores, ethics and boundaries, medicine, mythology and religion, family ties and adapts to their physical environment.

Hallmarks of civilisation right there.

Less physical structure maybe but considering modern Australians invented the hills hoist and the 70s style 'building shaped like a large brick (made out of lots of smaller bricks)' I reckon humpies do just fine.

Ridgey Didge is NSW only by the looks

Beefies is only Brisbane

WA has got Jesters Pies

is there no great aussie wide pie ?

Mrs Macs i suppose. Not a patch on a fresh pie with puff pastry, but the best of the frozen shortcrust pies (specially the Curry).

There's idiots in EVERY country.

I travel to the US 1-2 times per year, for the past 3 years or so, and I love each and every visit - my best mate is also a Seppo. He's (obviously) a top guy, and very worldly and knowledgeable, and is his American wife - and their friends I've met.

Even the "insular" and "ignorant" argument against "typical" Americans is understandable... Where do all their cultural and societal influences come from? America... their movies, their TV, their sport, their music, their fashion, their food is all largely American. Hell, most of ours is American - which is the only reason we have a decent grasp on the USA, in my opinion.

There are some stereotypical things about American's that when you do come across them, rub you the wrong way, but I think that's the same with any country - just that the stereotypical American's are usually pretty prominent and noticeable - just like their beers (which I love... the beers, that is).

Au contraire:

has specific vocal language, art, technology, cultural mores, ethics and boundaries, medicine, mythology and religion, family ties and adapts to their physical environment.

So - bogan = evolutionary regression?

Mrs Macs i suppose. Not a patch on a fresh pie with puff pastry, but the best of the frozen shortcrust pies (specially the Curry).

A few years ago I went on a Paleolothic diet which included eating all available parts of the animal and not just the muscle meat as we tend to do. So I rediscovered nice dishes like lambs liver, steak and kidney - baulked a bit at lambs brains and never really got on with tripe. However I made an excellent casserole with 100% beef heart. Unfortunately it produced the most incredible flatulence in my life.

When I had my first Mrs Macs pie the same thing happened - identical force frequency and aroma. As our American cousins say "go figure".

Dave 70 you may have missed the point, Manticle is referring to the Indigenous original settlers. However on the point of Bogans, back in the politically incorrect 1970s before the term Bogan came into use it was common in QLD to hear bogans of the day being referred to as "white boongs".

What does this even mean?

Effectively, any cultural celebration is embraced with open arms. Be it chinese new year, international food festivals, international wine festivals, a latin culture fest, a greek culture fest, a spanish fiesta, an indian curry cookoff, if you can think of any type of foreign celebration, we're into it like crazy.

But of course, every year without fail, when australia day comes around, the newspapers declare us racist, and the general populace whinge about flag wearing bogans. How dare we dress up and celebrate our own country!

Wow.

You're such a victim.

Effectively, any cultural celebration is embraced with open arms. Be it chinese new year, international food festivals, international wine festivals, a latin culture fest, a greek culture fest, a spanish fiesta, an indian curry cookoff, if you can think of any type of foreign celebration, we're into it like crazy.

But of course, every year without fail, when australia day comes around, the newspapers declare us racist, and the general populace whinge about flag wearing bogans. How dare we dress up and celebrate our own country!

Did you mean to put this in the 'first world problems' thread?

Props to snorkel for bringing up Bloodduster. Can we have the lyrics to "I saw your dad sucking off another dude's dad" next?. Well that's nearly all of them anyway. I admire the USA for giving us hardcore punk. In the old school sense at least, the muscle bound tattooed hardcore toughguy of today can go suck on a star spangled cock.

Props to snorkel for bringing up Bloodduster. Can we have the lyrics to "I saw your dad sucking off another dude's dad" next?.

Maybe Kyle Sandilands is actually a blood duster fan rather than an attention seeking twat?

In the old school sense at least, the muscle bound tattooed hardcore toughguy can go suck on a star spangled cock

Black Flag/Rollins are old school though

A victim?

I fail to see how being observant makes me a victim. But it's highly apparent you have a grudge based entirely on the colour of my text so I'll simply assume you're just looking for anything you can sling in the hope it will stick.

"Observant"? What you're talking about is not observable because it does not exist.

I walked into Woolworths today. They've got Australian flags all over the deli (for some odd reason). I don't hear anyone decrying them as xenophobic racists. I think the difference is that Woolworths doesn't spend the day in the sun at the beach drinking Woodstocks then go out and intimidate anyone who looks different.

But I guess that doesn't happen at all and is a tall tale manufactured by a self-loathing society.

Oh dear.

It seems you're trying to debunk my observation by being the exact stereotype of it.

Maybe Kyle Sandilands is actually a blood duster fan rather than an attention seeking twat?

Black Flag/Rollins are old school though

Rollins be told to get his skinny ass back to the gym and get some real jobstoppers if he wanted to hang with today's kids though. I do like the way HR is tanking the bad brains nowadays. He's had the crazy person bit down pat for a long time but the Andre 3000 look is new.
Bonnaroo 2012

Latest posts

Back