Is There A General Distain For Americans In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a mate of mine described it perfectly when he said "You know when you settle in to your workplace, and everything's cool, and then that ONE guy comes in, and he's the loudest, he's the most obnoxious, and he's always got to 1 up everybody in his proximity? That's how australians see american tourists."

They definitely don't enjoy it done to them though.

American tourist arrives at Caboolture train station, looks in disbelief at the awful urban landscape revealed on exiting the station and says to railway employee "This place is an arsehole"

railway employee says " Well, sir, I expect you are only passing through"

I've worked with a lot of Americans and Canadians.. I have found them to be generally polite, hard working and friendly. You get the odd idiot but thats the same with any country.

I've worked with a lot of Americans and Canadians.. I have found them to be generally polite, hard working and friendly. You get the odd idiot but thats the same with any country.

My nose just started itching for some reason

American tourist arrives at Caboolture train station, looks in disbelief at the awful urban landscape revealed on exiting the station and says to railway employee "This place is an arsehole"

railway employee says " Well, sir, I expect you are only passing through"

Ahh Hahhh! I get it... passing through...arsehole. It's a passive aggressive metaphor. The American tourist is a clump of shite.

OMG I'm having a Zen moment. (observe.... undulating revelation hand waving)

The train Station looks nice. I don't know why the tourist would say anything like that.

qsltrainstation.JPG

Be brutal honest mates.

We're a nation of xenophobes, so don't feel to bad if that's the vibe you get.

One thing that does make me cross is the fact the greenback has the phrase 'In God We Trust' emblazoned upon it. Your founding fathers - in their infinite wisdom, I might add - went to a great deal of bother to have secularism woven into the US constitution and this is a clear violation in my view.

Or at least some form of evangelical / fundamentalist subversion. Either way, you've dropped the ball on this one.

Jefferson would be spinning in his cheery-wood coffin.

If you can have a chat with, or perhaps send an e-mail to you local government representative and get that one cleared up, that would be awesome.

I wouldn't say we're a nation of xenophobes. Melbourne especially embraces nearly every culture in the world at the expense of it's own, and disdains it's own heritage as "bogan".

It seems we're so anti xenophobe we don't even want to BE ourselves.

Bachelor of Engineering.

We don't want that??
Why?
Tha'd be cool.

The train Station looks nice. I don't know why the tourist would say anything like that.

hehe. That's the pub across from the station, and it's shit. There is a 24hr bakery though, exciting stuff.

I wouldn't say we're a nation of xenophobes. Melbourne especially embraces nearly every culture in the world at the expense of it's own, and disdains it's own heritage as "bogan".

It seems we're so anti xenophobe we don't even want to BE ourselves.

I've never viewed 40 thousand years of culture as bogan.

Let's take a quick poll and see how it is viewed, shall we?

The 24 hour bakery is ok - they do very nice pies although a branch of Beefys has opened up on the way to Bribie Island where I live and they are awesome.

There you go, Freezekat - in Australia when you say pie you mean one of these;

aussie_meat_pie1.jpg

Not one of these

apple_pie.jpg

Rich meat and onion filling, divine flaky pastry - they also come in a big range of variants such as chunky steak, chicken, beef and mushroom, beef and bacon, curry ..... my God it's late at night and I would kill for one right at the moment - of course they are full of cholesterol and salt and are delicious in a way that vegetables can never aspire to.

The only thing better than a pie is a second pie which leaves you just about comatose :icon_drool2:

Edit: of course a famous variation is the "Pie Floater" which is common in some states such as South Australia but not seen much in my State. It's a pie floating in a big plate of sweetish mushy pea soup made from reconstituted dried peas - I've yet to try one but they are so bad they are good - sort of like Haggis is disgusting but beautiful at the same time.

pie_floater.jpg

Beefy's.
Has to be the best takeaway pie around. I eat a lot less pies after having discovered Beefy's because nothing less will suffice.

Beefy's.
Has to be the best takeaway pie around. I eat a lot less pies after having discovered Beefy's because nothing less will suffice.

You guys haven't got Ridgey Didge pies? They set the standard for a chain store i think, although i've never heard of beefies.

Latest posts

Back