Is There A General Distain For Americans In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever been as far as , Freezkat? B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Canadian, and here's my honest opinion.

A common joke here is "The US would be a really nice place if it wasn't for all the ******* Americans."
Lol, that's what we all say about Queensland.

Now that's funny right there...

What was the comment about QLDers offered earlier?

I gotta get me some beetroot. We just call them beets. I love the greens. They taste like spinach, Sounds interesting on a burger. Are these raw, pickled or cooked?

Thanks
You get em in the supermarket here attached to some green leafy shit.
But the easy way is to get em in a can. I assume they're cooked as they're already sliced up.
One or 2 slices max. You don't wanna get greedy.

Ummmmm they aren't cooked. Yuk.

It's beetroot, it is purple. It looks like a turnip, just purple/crimson. You yanks might call it something else. Peeling one is a recipe for recolouring whatever you're wearing so yeah, tins the go!

Roasted beetroot is amazing. SWMBO was all 'We're having roasted beets tonight' (she said 'beets' because she's from there) and I was all 'LOL! Whatevs, biatch. Beetroot comes in a tin!" Turns out it is really nice and you don't even know what beetroot tastes like.

I don't eat shit from tins. I know what beetroot, including homegrown and the leaves fried up taste like. Had some last night with thrice cooked duck breast, orange jus and fondant potatoes (cooked in my shitty, non sealing oven in my miserable falling apart house while I cried and listened to the cure)

Beetroot/s in tins are pretty average and beetroot fucks a good burger up.

Call me unaustralian. I can take it.

Ever been as far as , Freezkat? B)

Not yet, I would love to tour around the Maritimes. Now that is an accent. It's on my bucket list My brother raises their dog breed. Does that count? I have spent a few holidays from Thunder Bay to Kenora Ontario
We have relatives in International Falls, which is on the border (go figure). Almost everybody on both sides of the Rainy River works for the Boise Cascade paper mill. There is a major cultural blur in that area. I live just a couple hours from there.

I met a farmer from British Columbia on my last holiday in Europe. In Lucerne Switzerland we rode the gondola up Mt. Pilatus. I was turning pale, sweating and about to pass out when he said ,"Flatlander, eh?" I nervously giggled and said yes.

Holy Christ we were a couple thousand feet off the ground riding in a bus that was hanging from a string. If I had charcoal, I could use my arse to make diamonds. Thank God they had beer on top. The ride down was much nicer.

On our tour-bus (motor coach) he told me about the genetic wonder Canola Oil is...Canadian Oil Low Acid, how it was made from the Rapeseed which normally would be toxic to people(...nice). And about Canadian sand grown sod. Thank goodness I know something about farming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't eat shit from tins. I know what beetroot, including homegrown and the leaves fried up taste like. Had some last night with thrice cooked duck breast, orange jus and fondant potatoes (cooked in my shitty, non sealing oven in my miserable falling apart house while I cried and listened to the cure)

Beetroot/s in tins are pretty average and beetroot fucks a good burger up.

Call me unaustralian. I can take it.

We have about eight 2 litre jars canned from our summer harvest in the cupboard, has only a very vague resemblance in texture and taste to the tinned stuff.

I doubt our American freind will find tinned beetroot (beets) in his supermarket. From all i've read, Australians are about the only country that eats it as a boiled salad ingredient. The rest of the world eats it as a roast vegetable.

We produce something like 90% of all tinned beetroot in the world i heard on Landline once.

From all i've read, Australians are about the only country that eats it as a boiled salad ingredient. The rest of the world eats it as a roast vegetable.

My mom cooks with beets quite a bit, but only two dishes: borscht and pickled beets. Russians/Ukrainians (at least the ones related to me and living in Canada) eat them.

We have a gourmet burger chain that makes an Aussie burger: slice of beet, pineapple (if I remember correctly) and a fried egg on a beef burger. Tried one not too long ago and loved it.

My mom cooks with beets quite a bit, but only two dishes: borscht and pickled beets. Russians/Ukrainians (at least the ones related to me and living in Canada) eat them.

We have a gourmet burger chain that makes an Aussie burger: slice of beet, pineapple (if I remember correctly) and a fried egg on a beef burger. Tried one not too long ago and loved it.
Just needs some bacon & bbq sauce and it's a winner.

A hospital takeaway across the road from the place I started my apprenticeship did great burgers with grated carrot.
I'm hungry now.

Don't get me wrong about the fresh vs tinned debate, any tips on how to use a fresh beetroot without recolouring the kitchen and inhabitant?
Love it on a burger. And call me a hypocrite but I love a vege burger, a good wheat bun with a decent patty (sweet potato is my fav), a slice of beetroot and a slice of cheese (if we're feeling fancy some creamy blue cheese will do). And tomato sauce, not ketchup.

Roasted beetroot is amazing. SWMBO was all 'We're having roasted beets tonight' (she said 'beets' because she's from there) and I was all 'LOL! Whatevs, biatch. Beetroot comes in a tin!" Turns out it is really nice and you don't even know what beetroot tastes like.

SWMBO is from a Chinese background (they came over here for the Palmer River Gold rush in the 1880s) and they still have some Chinese recipes in the family. She and her rellies often make a sort of stew of Beetroot, peanuts and oxtail. Nothing like that in the so-called Chinese restaurants.

Served on the bone, it's one of those dishes that I honestly don't know if I love it or loathe it, it's so different.

any tips on how to use a fresh beetroot without recolouring the kitchen and inhabitant?
Yep - wash 'em, cut the tops off, cook 'em. Not all that difficult, really.

As already mentioned - you can eat the tops too. Treat them however you'd normally deal with spinach/silverbeet. The only issue is that you're then (most likely) eating both in the same meal - not really an issue until you forget what you ate last night and think something is really wrong when you take a piss in the morning. I though I was pissing blood for a good 5 seconds the first time. Shat myself.

Nothing like that in the so-called Chinese restaurants.
Yeah, the homogenised version of the already homogenised Hong Kong Cantonese food we get here is not a lot like what you'll see in China. But the food changes a lot from one part of the country to another so you could probably say something similar within the country itself.

The thing that shits me about Chinese restaurants here isn't the lack of authenticity - they're just complete shit. Look through the average menu - all you're doing is picking a meat then picking a sauce - everything is pretty much identical. AND DON'T FORGET TO PAD IT OUT WITH SHIT-TONNES OF CARROT!

Yes, yes. Flower Drum, etc. Who the hell goes to Flower Drum anyway?

Yes, yes. Flower Drum, etc. Who the hell goes to Flower Drum anyway?
Usually, mid-to-high level management types, and sales people wanting to impress/bribe their clients. Not a lot of audience intersection with home brewers.

Their Peking Duck really is the best in Melbourne, though.

We have tinned or canned beets, pickled beets and fresh beets. I just thought beetroot was something different. My wife loves them.

I wonder how foul of a piss would come out of a beetroot asparagus feed-fest?

"At hospital" or "at university" there are 2 phrases Americans never say. We consider them places vs concepts, so we give them definite articles. Being "in the hospital" isn't quite as existential....

At a place of healing where I am accepting medical care hoping that I get better. That hieroglyphic thought process is hard for us grab onto. We like a and the.

Back