Is It Infected

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fergi,

Was just wondering why you would feel compelled to put a chux over your secondary while you're racking? :huh:

If you're using a regular screw top fermenter it's easier to put the racking hose to the bottom, then just put your screw lid loosely over the hose to cover the fermenter mouth. Another way is to just put glad wrap or foil over the fermenter mouth and use the rubber o-ring from the lid pushed over the neck to hold it.

Also how do you prime your bottles? Do you use the scoop of sugar or do you bulk prime? ie boil your priming sugar in a pot of water, cool it and add it to the bottling bucket?

My guess is your beer isn't infected. It's more likely either over primed, either that or the priming sugar hasn't been mixed in thoroughly.

The other scenario could be that the beer hasn't finished fermenting completely. Overcarbonation will always give the beer a dry, almost unpleasant bite.

I wouldn't try recapping because the beer will most likely fob, even when very cold.

Just drink them and look forward to your next batch.

Warren -

fergi,
have you tried racking tap to tap.
I use a 1.5m piece of sanatised 1/2" clear pvc tube connected directly between the fermentor taps. Push fit stays on well on most taps.
Pull out the airlocks and the lids can stay on - no chux. This is a necessity at my place (kids & dogs love to help <_< ).
I sanitise the taps with alcohol spray (DSE $8.95 for 250ml pump spray) before and after racking to keep things clean.
I also found it easier to hold the empty secondary above the level of the primary, open both taps then slowly lower the secondary just enough to get an easy flow going to prevent splashing. When a litre or 2 is in the secondary it can be dropped below the primary as splashing is no longer a problem.
Ditched the sediment reducers years ago also - does anybody actually know what they are supposed to do?

Fergi

Why don't you take a bottle to your local home brew store and give them a taste. They should be able to help you if it is infected or over carbonated.
You could put one in the fridge, pop the top and cover with cling wrap for an hour or so, then taste again.

Either way, I would empty or let the gas off all of the other bottles as they are only going to become hand grenades and dangerous. I have seen beers bad enough that you have to use gloves and goggles and this is probably not a bad idea if you think any of the bottles could explode.

Cheers
Pedro

shmick said:
fergi,
have you tried racking tap to tap.
I use a 1.5m piece of sanatised 1/2" clear pvc tube connected directly between the fermentor taps. Push fit stays on well on most taps.
Pull out the airlocks and the lids can stay on - no chux. This is a necessity at my place (kids & dogs love to help <_< ).
I sanitise the taps with alcohol spray (DSE $8.95 for 250ml pump spray) before and after racking to keep things clean.
I also found it easier to hold the empty secondary above the level of the primary, open both taps then slowly lower the secondary just enough to get an easy flow going to prevent splashing. When a litre or 2 is in the secondary it can be dropped below the primary as splashing is no longer a problem.
Ditched the sediment reducers years ago also - does anybody actually know what they are supposed to do?
[post="52574"][/post]​

I like the sound of this.

Anybody else racked with this technique?

thanks for the feed back guys,well i take off the screw cap on my secondry because i dont use a hose i use 2 of the bottle fillers joined to gether to pour primary into secondry,with this method i also hold up the secondry so as there is no splashing from the bottom of the nossle,then i put the secondry down once i have about 4 inches in the bottom as this doesnt splash .i have tried opening a bottle and leaving it for 20 minutes so the excess bubbles run off but still tastes like cats piss.completly different to when i first tasted it.schmick sounds like a good idea through the taps,reason i didnt use a hose in the first place was i thought you had to get food grade and i couldnt find anywhere around here that sold it,do you just use the clear pvc plastic water hose from the hardware shops, pedro i will probably take one over to gmk,s place when he has his next barossa home brewers get together. warren i dont bulk prime i still use the plastic sugar measure that i always use,thought about bulk priming but as i secondry then have to run it in to another container for bulk priming i just think its just as quick and easy to bottle prime and reduces the possibility of infection by running into another container
cheers
fergi

fergi said:
warren i dont bulk prime i still use the plastic sugar measure that i always use,thought about bulk priming but as i secondry then have to run it in to another container for bulk priming i just think its just as quick and easy to bottle prime and reduces the possibility of infection by running into another container
[post="53033"][/post]​

fergi,

I keep a separate dedicated fermentor as a bulk priming vessel. It's an old black 23 litre jobby that someone threw out. I cleaned it up and it seems not to harbour any infections. I rinse and clean soon after each bottling exercise and sanitise again just before the next bottling event.

I rack using a hose with a one-way valve (sanitised in the priming vessel before each bottling).

Seth :p

fergi said:
do you just use the clear pvc plastic water hose from the hardware shops
[post="53033"][/post]​

Yep, that's the one Fergi, usually 10-12mm dia. :super:

Warren -

fergi said:
schmick sounds like a good idea through the taps,reason i didnt use a hose in the first place was i thought you had to get food grade and i couldnt find anywhere around here that sold it,do you just use the clear pvc plastic water hose from the hardware shops,
fergi
[post="53033"][/post]​

PVC tubing was from Bunnings. No idea if foodgrade or not.
PVC is used for some foodgrade tubing so I doubt there would be anything hugely toxic leaching out at the low temperatures we are dealing with.
Sanitise before and after use. Change every 3 - 6 months.

Sorry to here about your brew though. Experience = 1, fergi = wiser

well the thing about the infected brew that really annoys me is this was the first one that i did with a lager yeast ,i bought the grumpys kit with the extra hops and some cracked grain as well ,but the biggest thing was it took from start to drink about 7 weeks and this is the one that decided to get infected,could have happened to my 2 week screamers,
oh well
fergi

Brew and Bake at Gawler shouldl be able to supply you with racking hose

JM

Was discussing brewing with my girlfriend & when the subject of inferctions & yeast came up she suggested adding canestan or diflucen :blink:

What are your thoughts on this stroke of genius?

Aren't they anti-yeast agents?
Maybe try penicillin :p
Or better sterilisation/sanitation ;)

Back