Irish Red

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit of a beer noob and the closest to an irish red I've ever had was a kilkenny - that was till I made my own the other week. Bottling tomorrow so it's still a bit green but the chocolate/coffee aroma/taste is coming through quite strong.. I only used 50g of roast barley too. Is this usual for the style and kilkenny is just a coloured bit of bath water?

Used 200g each of CaraAroma and CaraAmber with my base malt. Everything else went perfectly but the chocolate taste really took me by surprise.
Style guidelines are just a guide. They are useful for telling you what is a supposed 'classic' beer style. But there is a range for each style so u could have a beer within style but at diff ends of the scale. Look up bjcp guidelines to see what I mean.
Now Kilkenny is a commercial Irish red. U can brew better than that.
Ur colour is dependent on the colour of grains and water added. So without a full recipe we Vang say whether it should look like coloured bath water. mind u colour changed through fermentation and maturation. So don't be disappointed. So long as it tastes good is all that matters (if ur not in a comp that is).

Nothing wrong with brewing out of style. Smoked Irish red isn't a classic Irish red..but it's darn tasty.

kilkenny is just a coloured bit of bath water?

Irish guy at work had this to say "Ahh fook Kilkenny. That shites just for American tourists. Nobody drinks that in Ireland." Or not in Erin anyway. Many Americans actually like Bud but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

I'm led to believe you won't hear a whole lot of "Top o' the morning" either.

Wasn't he a North Vietnamese General in the 1960s?

Time to come in from the cold and get an android Galaxy :p
very sad that I already have one...

Irish guy at work had this to say "Ahh fook Kilkenny. That shites just for American tourists. Nobody drinks that in Ireland." Or not in Erin anyway. Many Americans actually like Bud but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

I'm led to believe you won't hear a whole lot of "Top o' the morning" either.
Yup Kilkenny is shore once u know what good beer tastes like. Before u know though, Kilkenny tastes ok.

Well this is what I went with and am more than happy with the result and will definitely be doing this one again:

Made to 26L:
4kg Marris Otter
1kg Munich
300g CaraRed
300g CaraMalt
100g Choc

45g Fuggles @ 25 min
30g EKG @ 5 min

WYeast1084 @ 22C

IBU is 27.7 (adjusted for no chill)
OG 1.048
FG 1.007 (went low for some reason)

Mashed at 68C for 90 minutes (lost 1C over time)

Latest posts

Back