Feed back on irish red

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendercaster

Reaction score
Hey all,
Put down a brew on the weekend and thought id get your thoughts. Its as follows

1 can of Muntons irish style cream.
1 can of muntons caramalt
300g of dextrose
100g lactose
20g of fuggles at flame out.
Us05 (didnt have 04)

Boiled up the irish and caramalt together with dextrose. Approx 10min on boil.
Dissolved lactose in water and added the fuggles at flame out. Chilled and topped up in fermentor.
Og was 1060.

Cheers ill let you know when it all goes down.

you mean steep the caramalt. boil the liquid with the sex and add the irish at the flame out with the juggles right.
there is no point boiling cans all your going to do is darken it

I would drop the lactose- you are using cans and steeping crystal- that will add more than enough sweetness. In fact an IR should finish reasonably dry.

I would also strongly suggest using the proper yeast -1084. This is a beer that derives a fair bit of its character from the yeast. That said the recipe you have will still be a nice beer (probably a little sweet for my taste but you are drinking it) but not an Irish Red.

Edit: sorry read that wrong- you havent got any crystal in there. Suggest steeping 150g of Caraaroma for a nice red colour

Wyeast Irish Ale 1084, and definitely the Caraaroma.

I know a lot of guys use a bit of roast barley to give a red colour, but you can't beat Caraaroma for that little bit of toffee flavour as well.
Don't use Carared, it's not really red.

Another advantage of 1084 is that it will quite happily ferment at up to 24 degrees without giving off flavours.

redder.jpg

Bribie G said:
I know a lot of guys use a bit of roast barley to give a red colour, but you can't beat Caraaroma for that little bit of toffee flavour as well.
Don't use Carared, it's not really red.
I'm one of those guys Bribie. I like a bit for RB for colour and subtle roast flavour, and add dark crystal for those toffee/caramel notes.

JD

Off topic but the Duopoly use a bit of roast barley to get a deeper colour in some of their brews such as Reschs Original Draught, Tooheys Red.

Sorry all, no grains. Its actually a can of morgans Caramalt.
The reason for the boil is, as my LHBS said was to blend and darken up or get a nice deep red color. It isnt a brew ive done before and thought id follow to what they said.
There was mention of a better yeast but i used my 04 in a ESB.
Next time ill go with that.
Thanks for your inputs

I'd guess that Whitelabs get their main yeast strains from the same International Yeast Banks as Wyeast.

Also in response to a few suggestions and comments. Any irish red recipes out there worth trying next?

Fendercaster said:
Also in response to a few suggestions and comments. Any irish red recipes out there worth trying next?
As always, my recommended book is Brewing Classic Styles. Done the Jamil's Irish Red from there a couple of times.

Luckily, it's also available here: http://byo.com/mead/item/1868-irish-red-ale-style-profile

I think the only change I made was to use some EKG late in the boil.

Now, if only there was a recipe database we could easily link to and comment on... :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back