Iphone Apps For Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking of upgrading to Mac in the near future, BeerAlchemy was on my list to look at. Has anyone been using this program for a long time?

I've been using it for about 3 years and am very happy with it. Excellent service via built in feedback and well supported with updates. That said, I haven't really compared it to anything else. I did try to run Brewmate under Mono to have a look at it was getting beyond my abilities to get it running :-(
I was running Brewmath for my workplace supplied iPod Touch but alas swapped employers and lost that toy... Brewmath was great for stuff like Brix conversions on brewday.

Brewlab for recipe formulation in imperial units. Just enough to play around with ingredients. It's a free one, yeah only US units.

BrewPal, it's good.
+1 It's all I use, that and my own brew log notes. Latest version 4 update makes it a little less stable but does everything you need for $1.99.

I am thinking of upgrading to Mac in the near future, BeerAlchemy was on my list to look at. Has anyone been using this program for a long time?

I've been using BeerAlchemy on the Mac for nearly a year, and for 6 months or so on my iPod Touch. I've had no problems with either, and the synchronisation works well. Both applications are regularly updated. Interestingly, the BeerAlchemy Touch has some features that the Mac version doesn't (i.e. sliders for bitterness of each hop addition). I've used both versions at times for the development of the same recipe. I've had questions at times, and found the developer very responsive. I do have to use another timer application on the iPod Touch on brew day, because BeerAlchemy Touch doesn't offer this feature, which I believe BrewPal does.

Cheers, Steve.

Will download BrewPal I think and hope Ver 1.7 comes soon with the extra features and optimised for Os4.
Thanks guys.
Nige

I run Beer Alchemy on my Mac and Iphone. Have had no problems. The developer is always quick to respond to your questions if you email them. The Iphone version is good on brewday for working out dilution rates if you have to stop flysparging due to low runoff SG.

are these software any good for people like my self that just use the Kits ? as I have not started using grain yet

Will download BrewPal I think and hope Ver 1.7 comes soon with the extra features and optimised for Os4.
Thanks guys.
Nige
I downloaded BrewPal last night and I'm loving the look of it. Built in timers, refrac adjustments... I think I'll be using this a lot on brewdays - my computer is in the house, but my phone is always on me. Adding BeerSmith compatibility would be awesome, and I look forward to it.

Mr Malty yeast pitching calculator is now an app.

Search for "MrMalty YC".

The same formulas for calculations used on his website.

Brew Pal.

Purely genius. Everything you need to brew a beer is in it, and stupidly easy to use.

I'm sure I saw it mentioned as an 'upcoming feature' for this app on some review, but not sure where.

Still a very handy tool for brewdays.
Version 1.7 will allow import/export in Beerxml format as does beersmith. According to brewpal.info.

Brew Pal.

Purely genius. Everything you need to brew a beer is in it, and stupidly easy to use.

I love the software, but still no step mashing ability, the only feature holding me back from using it live on brewday.

Screwy

I love the software, but still no step mashing ability, the only feature holding me back from using it live on brewday.

Screwy

Me to Screwy, hopefully that will be in the upgrade?

Andrew

i use it too, but I dont step mash as yet, infusion all the way

Paul

As mentioned in another thread recently the new app from Cascade is out.
Search for 'Brewers Nose' and it will come up (also free to buy).
This is obviously a fair bit of advertising for Cascade but the barcode scan for beer works well, tried it on a couple I had in the fridge with no problems.

Latest posts

Back