Can I use sodium percarbonate to clean a brewzilla?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
Basically what the title says....

I've been brewing all grain for years, but have just decided to test out a brewzilla due to my increasing lazyness. I'm doing my first brew day on Sunday....but realised I don't have the right cleaner?

I've got a bunch of soidium percarbonate on hand.....however most people seem to recommend PBW to clean the brewzilla.

Reckon I can use Sodium percarbonate instead without any ill effects?

I've been brewing all grain for years, but have just decided to test out a brewzilla due to my increasing lazyness. I'm doing my first brew day on Sunday....but realised I don't have the right cleaner?

I've got a bunch of soidium percarbonate on hand.....however most people seem to recommend PBW to clean the brewzilla.

I do it often. I prefer it to PBW.

PBW is essentially just Sodium Perc with extra ingredients. It has chelating and surfactants and other little bits to help with beerstone etc.

You absolutely can use it to clean your brewzilla but in the long run I suggest something like the @Keg King ABC15 cleaner. Its made in Australia so supports local.

With the Perc mix it at about 0.5% so I would do 10L at 50g.

Set the BZ to 50c and circulate fresh water through the pump etc. When it reaches 50c then add your Perc and let it mix thoroughly. Keep the pump running. Using gloves and a soft cloth, wipe down all the insides of the brewzilla. Then, turn the heat off and keep pumping for about 10 minutes.

Empty the brewzilla and hose it off thoroughly. Fill with fresh water and pump the water out. I would flush about 10 or 15L through it.

After that, I just give it a good hosing and flush the pump after each brew. Every 3rd brew I do the chemical clean.

Make sure you open and close the ball valves as well when cleaning and flushing.

I would take the ball valve apart before hand and soak in some Perc as you may find it's full of cutting oils from the factory. Then put back together and clean as above, to ensure no leaks.

Latest posts

Back