Inmate Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan.temple

Reaction score
So I've got a spare fermenter at the moment and have my fermenting fridge full so don't want to brew a beer and I thought I might try this inmate brew that my mate says was alright when he had it 20 years a go (not in the big house). So the recipe is pretty much some kind of juice, I'm going for grape + dextrose to desired alchohol level. Now I was wondering if I could keg this to get some carbonation, I don't see why not but thought I'd ask more experienced types. Taste wise I hear it isn't as bad as you would expect and I'm keen for the experiment. Plus getting pissed for the price of juice sounds alright.

I made some of this using red grape juice (no dex, except for carbing the bottle) and it ended up tasting OK, a lambrusco style red, no tannins, etc. I used it to make Sangria, but it was fine to drink in its own right. Adding dex will thin the flavour. I'd leave it out.

Woolies has half price juice atm, 17 bucks for 21.6 L, so now's the time.

PS: If you want real prison booze check out the Kilju thread. Or you could try my ghetto alcopops. 5-6 bucks for 20 L if you want really cheap.

I often made my own juice beverages for the misses mate, they turn out a treat. I recently stuck a kilo of dex with 10L of Berry preservative free apple and blackcurrant juice. It was about 7-8% in alcohol so it put in a good kick but tasted very nice considering. I've got a .35 micron filter so I'm able to filter out all the yeasties from keg to keg allowing me to sweeten the juice back up to the way it was when I bought it. Then I just carb with my c02 and away I go. Not bad for a grand total of 22 bucks! Definitely give it a go but be sure to use a good cider yeast.

Good luck mate :icon_cheers:

Hmmm...the Inmate Brew I've heard of (at local prison) consists of juice infused with a few squirts of alcohol based hand sanitiser!!! :icon_vomit:

Latest posts

Back