Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
osprey brewday said:
May just be fermentation of the bottle prime.
Hopefully! My concerns are around the thick looking foam, and the strands clinging together as they filter down.

I haven't paid to much attention to the bottles during that stage.just been put somewhere dark and cool and back a month or two later

FAAAAAARK
I brewed a North English Brown about 6 months ago and it's been sitting in a cube ever since, I haven't had the chance to chuck it on to ferment since we moved in July
I've been living away for work but came down this week for a job interview and noticed the cube was swollen up, which it wasn't last time I looked
I'd guess possibly the lids were bumped during the move (or by swmbo recently...) and it's sucked some air in
It doesn't smell funky, but there is a little clinger on of greenish mould in the top of the cube and some slimy bits hanging off the top
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DUPWDld8KeSRL8aDapavC10JrKZqE4pTIw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTuPIvVDpc-SSZMW9oKu_bIVRCQ3iltaWg/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15yBIoEG1sV60_mOQp07YbsyLYek2Rg8fSg/view?usp=sharing

I'm half tempted to siphon it off and ferment it to see how it goes
The only dry yeast on hand is some W34/70
I've got a 12 month old slurry of Wyeast 1272 that I can quickly make a starter for and pitch, but is it really worth the risk?
Thoughts?

**edit**
Narrr stuff it, I'll tip it out on the garden while crying

My first Infection. I almost feel proud because its beer I've just kegged and smells and tastes good.
it was an experimental Australian Saison Thang inspired by somebody on this forum, I cant remember who off hand....

Saison range Aussie Ale with cultured Coopers Yeast. Brewed at the top end of temperatures (mine got to 23-24c in full ferment). It smelled good like fruit salad with bananas. Left for 24 days. Sitting temp is 18c. Gravity test, I smelled, I taste tested, its all good and I'm exited with this actually. Just dry hopped 2 kegs and saved two 750ml bottles of the yeast cake.

Any tips on what this is other than a wild yeast I picked up somehow. I do brew outside but with very cautious measures of containment of the wort in cooling and decanting etc. Never had this before!!!!

I'm going with this whatever it is. The beer tastes good and I have two bottles of the yeast for some mutated home culture Aussie Saison or some freak thing haha.

What is it????? :unsure: White patches on the walls. Some floaties. Its very white.

Just to recap on this above. This was a very nice drinking beer, and its all gone. Was also approved by others. I'm still confused as to what those white patches grown on the walls are. I've never had it before. Coopers cultured yeast allowed to brew up to 23c in full ferment is the only thing I did different.
Any insight welcome.

sp0rk said:
FAAAAAARK
I brewed a North English Brown about 6 months ago and it's been sitting in a cube ever since, I haven't had the chance to chuck it on to ferment since we moved in July
I've been living away for work but came down this week for a job interview and noticed the cube was swollen up, which it wasn't last time I looked
It doesn't smell funky, but there is a little clinger on of greenish mould in the top of the cube and some slimy bits hanging off the top
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DUPWDld8KeSRL8aDapavC10JrKZqE4pTIw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTuPIvVDpc-SSZMW9oKu_bIVRCQ3iltaWg/view?usp=sharing

When in doubt chuck it out with consumables is my motto. Botulism is a risk not worth taking that's for sure. Or you could boil it again but that may change the flavour some what.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15yBIoEG1sV60_mOQp07YbsyLYek2Rg8fSg/view?usp=sharing

I'm half tempted to siphon it off and ferment it to see how it goes
The only dry yeast on hand is some W34/70
I've got a 12 month old slurry of Wyeast 1272 that I can quickly make a starter for and pitch, but is it really worth the risk?
Thoughts?

**edit**
Narrr stuff it, I'll tip it out on the garden while crying
What happened to my comment????????? :huh:
I said something like: When in doubt chuck it out with food and beverage is my motto. Botulism is not worth the risk that's for sure. Or you could boil it again but probably change the whole flavour thing.
Ah yeah those image links don't work for me...

I've been away for the last 3 weeks and i put a 'session pale ale' fresh wort for a mates birthday on before I left. Starting gravity: 1.042 and I'm getting 1.006 from my calibrated hydrometer. I used US05 - rehydrated.

I opened it up to dry hop and saw this (ignore dry hops):

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1447449238.501926.jpg

Usually I wouldn't be too concerned but the finishing gravity seems a bit low. The beer tastes bone dry and not overly flavorful but does seem to taste 'off'. Any thoughts on this one?

Looks good from here too. Might be a waste of dry hops if it's for a mate's party. Bet it gets chugged down so quick it never touches the palate!

Camo6 said:
Looks good from here too. Might be a waste of dry hops if it's for a mate's party. Bet it gets chugged down so quick it never touches the palate!
Cheers mate.

Agree with you, made this one with the least effort possible: fresh wort kit + dry yeast + leftover hops + PET bottles (party is on a boat) + carb drops.

Had made a completely different brew but ended up keeping the cube of AG golden ale for myself!!!

Shall need to give it a try when I get home, had a quick look this morning

It's a 10% Braggot, shall be an interesting mix now

I bottled a light brown ale on the weekend; it was one of my beers intended for this year's case swap. Was peering into the bottles today for signs of carbonation and instead saw - bam! - a white film in almost all of them. Very much like the first photo in this thread: possibly aceto. Some that didn't have a white film still had white platelets; really annoying!

I guess the infection either happened during bottling, or a day or so before bottling - I let the brew sit for a while to try to infuse it with some vanilla flavour.

In my experience these sort of infections don't seem to carb (I don't think I've ever had a bottle bomb of that sort). Not sure what others think. I'm assuming the yeast is entirely helpless now and the bacteria is ripping through the brew chewing up available nutrients. I've given all of the bottles a shake to try to break up their protective pellicle and give the yeast a chance; we'll see whether carbing has happened in a few weeks I guess. But all in all, disappointing.

But I still have my intended case swap brew :) This infected one was intended as an 'insurance' in case the case swap brew got infected! So I suppose that it almost worked out pretty much as I intended.

I'll give this one a few weeks to try to carb up. If not, into the slug traps it goes!

motch02 said:
Thoughts on this?

Cheers,
looks like a brett pellicle could be tasty bottle when gravity steady for a month flavour will change over time or stick some wyeast roselare blend in it and age in secondary how many ibu.s is it?

yurgy said:
looks like a brett pellicle could be tasty bottle when gravity steady for a month flavour will change over time or stick some wyeast roselare blend in it and age in secondary how many ibu.s is it?
It's 40ibus, I bottled him up yesterday. Had no choice as I'm moving house.. I'm hoping that at 10.5-11% they aren't going to get very far considering I never pitched Brett..

I've been pretty lazy lately mixing my Brett gear and my normal gear together, time to pay more attention

What do you think of this one?

It's a definite infection. My first one. Finished at 1.006 despite a 67C mash temp. Tastes strange. Can't put my finger on it. Kinda sour. Not sure if I like it or not. I'm thinking of kegging it and seeing how it goes.

20151127_215630.jpg

Carbed it up and tasted today. After a pot I think it's actually a faint band-aid taste coming through mid palate. Lingering flavour is hot alcohol.

Not really nice after all.

Anyone reckon they know what bug it would be?

Back