Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if you have an infection, you should drink the whole batch so you can learn your lesson.

I've had my fair share of infected beers that I've tried many times before ditching them, except for a couple that were rancid. I don't need to keep drinking it to know what went wrong.

Kopi luwak is practically a polished turd, and bloody delicious (and expensive).

Lambics have their place.. you'll learn to love.

Careful. I went 15 years until I had my first infection. Always very stringent and consistent with my sanitation as well. Not 100% sure of the source but I think it might've been fruit flies.

My old man gave up brewing because he couldn't get rid of a bug way before I started brewing. He always reminds me of it. I've taken some shortcuts here and there and been lucky in my 9years of fermenting goodness except for a side project where I fermented on the grains for to long but that's a topic I can't go into.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Not an infection in finished beer but some recently stored leftover wort has grown something interesting. These were filled just how I no chill into the cubes but had two passata bottle lids not seal quite right as when they cooled the lid didnt suck in. Obviously demonstrates the importance of a good cube seal and limiting oxygen intake during storage at room temp! The jars which lids sealed and sucked in don't appear to have any of this kind of growth.
Looks like this batch had some mould spores carry over through the boil. Has been 2 months since the batch was cubed and I'm kinda glad I waited this long to ferment to expose the issue. Almost looks like there is white-ish plastic sheets all through the wort. Active bubbles coming up from the bottom also. For perspective I always squeeze as much headspace out of my cubes so there is only a couple of bubbles worth if that, not even the volume of the handle. The photos of the two there have not been opened yet and the seal on the lid was still good.

On brew day when transferring from the mash into the kettle, one of my pumps had grown some mould from water sitting in the pump head from the previous brew day, we scooped out the mould we could physically get at and made the decision to push on because it was pre-boil.

This proves that mould spores can and will survive a boil, therefore it is prudent to take care of your equipment even pre-boil.

gallery_15839_1350_7925.jpg
gallery_15839_1350_34444.jpg

Coodgee said:
Forgot about this lager that's been sitting in a hot cupboard for 5 months. Looks like some free drying enzyme has been at work! I'm yet to open it.
Turned out to be fine. I opened it outside expecting an explosion but it was just a small hiss. Tasted quite nice. Super carbonated though.

Coodgee said:
Must admit i haven't developed a taste for yeast driven beers yet.
Until a year ago when I went to europe I didnt like yeast driven beers either. I then decided to be a bit more open minded and absolutely llve a good belgian or german wheat.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Looks like this batch had some mould spores carry over through the boil. Has been 2 months since the batch was cubed and I'm kinda glad I waited this long to ferment to expose the issue. Almost looks like there is white-ish plastic sheets all through the wort. Active bubbles coming up from the bottom also. For perspective I always squeeze as much headspace out of my cubes so there is only a couple of bubbles worth if that, not even the volume of the handle. The photos of the two there have not been opened yet and the seal on the lid was still good.

On brew day when transferring from the mash into the kettle, one of my pumps had grown some mould from water sitting in the pump head from the previous brew day, we scooped out the mould we could physically get at and made the decision to push on because it was pre-boil.

This proves that mould spores can and will survive a boil, therefore it is prudent to take care of your equipment even pre-boil.
It sounds like what they call ropey bacteria, or rather ropiness from bacteria. But yes, some molds can survive the boil.

>tyndallisation<

of course not really possible with homebrew but does show the risks..

A simple, effective, sterilizing method used today is to heat the substance being sterilized to 121 °C for 15 minutes in a pressured system. If sterilisation under pressure is not possible because of lack of equipment, or the need to sterilise something that will not withstand the higher temperature, unpressurized heating at a temperature of up to 100 °C, the boiling point of water, may be used. The heat will kill the bacterial cells, but bacterial spores capable of later germinating into bacterial cells may survive.

Tyndallization can be used to destroy the spores.

Tyndallization essentially consists of heating the substance to boiling point (or just a little below boiling point) and holding it there for 15 minutes, three days in succession. After each heating, the resting period will allow spores that have survived to germinate into bacterial cells; these cells will be killed by the next day's heating. During the resting periods the substance being sterilized is kept in a moist environment at a warm room temperature, conducive to germination of the spores. When the environment is favourable for bacteria, it is conducive to the germination of cells from spores, and spores do not form from cells in this environment (see bacterial spores).
The Tyndallization process is usually effective in practice. But it is not considered totally reliable—some spores may survive and later germinate and multiply

If I'm not pitching the next day, I will always leave cubes for months for this very reason.

Thanks fellas, I can most definitely fill my cubes with boiling water and seal, should sit at at least above 95C for the 15 minutes in this summer weather. Might through PBW in day #1, Tricleanium in day #2 and PBW again on day #3. Fingers crossed can bring them back as they are dangerous goods cubes, nice and thick and excellent lid seal! Might also start removing the cube lid o-ring and giving the o-ring and lid a good soak as that's one thing I've accepted the risk on with my cubes :S

Back