Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you referring to the large clumps? Looks like yeast to me but I'm looking at a small pic on my phone. How does it taste?

Out of interest, how large is your hydrometer sample tube?! :p

Agreed, I've had this before with Wyeast 1028 London Ale. The next challenge is avoiding it getting into your bottles/keg.

Sample tube is around 100ml id think. Clumps would have averaged to golf ball sizes (some bigger some smaller). Tasted very sour not in a good way. As soon as id tasted it i knew it was gone bad.
Tasted from sample before opening up.

dave doran said:
Sample tube is around 100ml id think. Clumps would have averaged to golf ball sizes (some bigger some smaller). Tasted very sour not in a good way. As soon as id tasted it i knew it was gone bad.
Tasted from sample before opening up.
Just having a dig at the level in your FV compared to the krausen line. It looks like one of my fermentors when my kegerator taps are dry. :icon_chickcheers:

Although it looks pretty normal from the pic ( I assume it hasn't been crash chilled), sourness doesn't sound good. If you don't think you can drink it, might as well tip it. Knowing what went wrong might be helpful though.

Tasted very sour. No buttery tastes. Colour was fine but the smell was even sour.
Wort tasted fine. Was being lasy and didn't make a starter. Yeast was past the use by date so probably didn't give it much of a chance.

Had been chilled for 2 weeks

Put down an ipa yesterday. Pitched the yeast a little over 12 hours ago. Doesn't look good. Anyone seen this before?

image.jpg

Looks like hops and yeast to me. Don't fret.

Did you just sprinkle dry yeast on top? (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) Also looks like you've dry hopped already or was it cube hopped?

Camo6 said:
Looks like hops and yeast to me. Don't fret.

Did you just sprinkle dry yeast on top? (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) Also looks like you've dry hopped already or was it cube hopped?
Yes, just sprinkled over the top. As I was draining the boiled wort to the fermenter, some of the hop solids that were settled on the bottom crept in as I tried to rescue every clear drop of wort. That's certainly what that looks like, but the white bit concerned me. Usually I get a brownish krausen and I've never seen anything white before.

Will be heart wrenching if it's infected. 4th all grain beer and everything went perfect for the first time.

All good. Just nice creamy yeast firing up. Just try and avoid having the lid off too often!

Phew! Well I'll keep the lid on and have a peak in the coming days to see what's going on.

Deffo infected. Tastes sour. Never had one this bad out of the fermenter before. Any ideas what I've got here? 13 days in primary....

tmp_8718-IMAG0160-1826772161.jpg

Doesn't look infected to me. Look normal

That's what I thought Barls but it's definitely infected- I'm sure from, the taste. Tastes rancid really. Brewed 30 + brews and am familiar with infected taste unfortunately.

My question is then, it seems I have an infection without any visual signs of it . Is this unusual at all?

Basically a twisted version of Neil's Centenarillo Ale with stuff I had floating around. Two light LME cans, 500g brewing sugar and about 130g of centennial, citra, Nelson and galaxy in a 5l boil with 1/3 of one of the cans.

has it finished fermenting?
i have had another user contact me about tasting his version of this as he thought it was infected but just hadn't finished fermenting and the yeast hadn't dropped out.

Two weeks in so I'd presumed so. Not had one taste this bad at any stage of fermentation.

Just took a reading and it's on 1.014. I'll leave it a few days and check and report back but still reckon it's cactus.

Here's what I have on the top of my first Saison guys, lotsa small clumps of white dots about half the size of a grain of rice.

aqq7t.jpg

My google-fu isn't the strongest but I get the sense I might have a Brettanomyces infection or then again, maybe not - that's the interwebs for you...

It tastes OK out the the sample tube but here's the kicker - as it is my first Saison; I'm not entirely clear on how it should taste anyway. Isn't a Saison meant to be a bit funky and a bit sour? This uncertainty makes tasting an infection a little difficult.

Back