Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree. That's what a fermenting lager looks like because they're a bottom-fermenting yeast (you won't get huge krausens like ales). The orange floaty bits are little yeast clumps. You were almost at the finish line, might as well have waited until it hit FG and bottled.
Colder temps are ok for lagers (and for ales, to a point). It'll slow down or stall the process, and certainly won't cause infections. I've had a lager in the fermenter for 5 weeks and it tasted bloody unreal once it was lagered in the keg for a few weeks.

Beer out of the fermenter will taste different to beer in the bottle after 4 weeks. Especially if it hasn't finished fermenting.

panzerd18 said:
Smells bad, tastes bad, I have dumped it. :(
Shit man, you didnt give folks much time to respond!! not many playing at 2am I'll wager.

Wouldnt have thought you had much to lose by waiting another 24hrs..

Oh well, chalk this up to a learning curve.. I once dumped one batch that was probably going to be OK in the long run so you are not alone in this ;)

Solvent aroma/flavour is fusel alcohol I believe, you didn't want to drink it anyway.

Seems like a stretch, solvent smell and medicinal taste are pretty big red flags, it was more than likely lawn food, I would have tipped it too.

Donske said:
Solvent aroma/flavour is fusel alcohol I believe, you didn't want to drink it anyway.
I heard that the solvent aroma can be a product of high fermenting temperatures? Its strange, because I pitched the yeast at the recommended temperature of 22 and then is went down to 10 and and has been close to 10 for many days.

I am having second thoughts now maybe I should have kept it. I don't know what green beer tastes like, but it was pretty horrible and burnt the back of my throat. It also had a massive alcohol/acetone flavor smell.

panzerd18 said:
I heard that the solvent aroma can be a product of high fermenting temperatures? Its strange, because I pitched the yeast at the recommended temperature of 22 and then is went down to 10 and and has been close to 10 for many days.

I am having second thoughts now maybe I should have kept it. I don't know what green beer tastes like, but it was pretty horrible and burnt the back of my throat. It also had a massive alcohol/acetone flavor smell.

You did the right thing mate, I have a mate from my brew club battling a brew house infection that is throwing solvent/acetone flavours and aromas, it's bloody horrid, no way on earth I'd be holding onto anything showing those signs.

macca05 said:
Hey guys,
Think this could be my first infection. I did a AG brew on friday and finished about 9pm. Cooled it down but for some reason stopped at about 35C and added it to fermenter. I was going to put it straight into fridge to cool to about 18C but had one in there already so was meant to do it on sat. Sat became sun and sun became monday. This arvo and bottled the one that was in fermenter and was going to keep the yeast from that to add to the new one, but when I opened the recent ones lid, this was on top of it. No yeast even in there yet.

I took some out to inspect it and it did have a wierd smell but when I took these photos i had a sniff and it bloody burnt my nose. Was almost like CO2 but can this happen if no yeast is in there yet.
I think this one is destined for the grass. Dammit :(

Macca
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/51830-infection-photo-thread/?p=1101900

I believe my lager had the same type of infection.

So I am concerned this may be infected. Has been in fermenter for 13 days now looked nothing like this when dry hopped after 10 days pellets straight in was pretty clear on top definitely no krausen like action. Today looked like this! Only took lid off as was suprised airlock bubbling a bit tonight. Reading when dry hopped down to 1.013 from 1.052, pale ale. Smells pretty sulphery. I recon it might be f#@ked???? Fermented at 17° just now dropped fridge temp to 4° as planned to bottle this weekend

1408092280518.jpg

As Barls says, looks good. Adding hops can bring out CO2. Wait a few days and smell.

jester28 said:
So I am concerned this may be infected. Has been in fermenter for 13 days now looked nothing like this when dry hopped after 10 days pellets straight in was pretty clear on top definitely no krausen like action. Today looked like this! Only took lid off as was suprised airlock bubbling a bit tonight. Reading when dry hopped down to 1.013 from 1.052, pale ale. Smells pretty sulphery. I recon it might be f#@ked???? Fermented at 17° just now dropped fridge temp to 4° as planned to bottle this weekend
looks like alot of yeast and hops......what yeast was that ?

hello everyone

I left a fermenter with about 2 -3 liters of beer / trub / yeast / hops in it for a while , then i had a bright idea about capturing some wild yeast to chuck in a wheat beer I made ( was going to add it when I added some fruit ) so I left the lid off for a few days and put it back on

couple weeks later this is what I got
whatsthis.jpg

after having a skim through the forums I think it may be the acetobacter maybe ,

I decided to make my fruit wheat beer without this ..... but I would like to know what it is and if it would be good for any thing

Cheers Spohaw

that looks more like a brett plus something else pellical.

I havent rack off my wheat beer or added the fruit yet , do you think it would be ok to add some of this when I add the fruit?

Edit : Smells pretty good , a pleasant smell not an off smell at all

Yeah , I gave it a miss ... if I want it any more sour then it is in a couple weeks ill just add some citric acid before kegging it up

Opinions please:
Ferment stalled on this one at 1.018 so I raised the temp to 25c. Got it down to 1.009 which i am happy with, however I've got this going on in the top when I opened to dry hop.

Curious if this really can be "yeast floaties" as has been suggested or if I'm looking at garden food.
Tastes alright. Although I should mention it was a very very slow start to ferment (Danstar Bry97) and had a dominant bready taste to it until I raised the temps and got the gravity down.

Infected?

1409575364617.jpg

looks like yeasties to me.
plus tastes alright so don't ditch it :)

Think I got wild yeast. After letting it ferment for 7 days, I'd thought I'd give it a taste. The smell that came out of this thing was foul. Rotten fruit like, the taste was not better.

Was made with a starter I made, which tasted nice to me, but who knows. Could of been from the cube, it was my first brew in over 3 months so probably sloppy cleaning regime on my part. The sister brew is chugging along nicely and used packet yeast.

This one went to the garden.

1409610238767.jpg

Back