Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While there are many non-infections in this thread and you certainly shouldn't jump to the conclusion that your beer is infected, that last paragraph is a bit misleading.

For example:
Many strains of lactobacillus have an alcohol tolerance around 8-9%abv
Some acetobacter can survive in ~18%abv.
Many pediococcus strains can live in 8%abv happily.
Brettanomyces can live in over 10%abv depending on the strain.

All of these can be airborne.

Learning what an infection looks/smells/tastes like is important.
So is sanitation.

12 days fermenting this stout and the gravity is stalled but higher than I think it should be at about 1.020, thoughts?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401506497.946106.jpg

Wilkens

looks fine, why is it swirling? can't comment on SG without recipe etc. put the lid back on.

Liam_snorkel said:
looks fine, why is it swirling? can't comment on SG without recipe etc. put the lid back on.
gravity has been stuck for about a week and another thread suggested giving it a stir to get some yeast back into suspension.

Wilkens

I did a stout recently that started at 1.080 and finished at 1.020 with the Mamgrove Jack Burton Union yeast and its delish!

You don't need to stir just whoosh your fv around a bit. Don't wanna risk adding nasties.

If gravity is stuck, bottle!

As long as it's within ballpark you know you'll be right. If it was severely stuck then you know something's wrong.
Have faith in your brew.
2 days straight of consistent FG, I bottle. I bottle after beersmith predicted FG.
I do get a few floaters, but this just tells me I'm bottling too early. (I would assume this would raise my FG than what was measured before bottling).
Maybe this ingestion of live yeast adds to my chronic autoimmune disease ailments.

I also have a stout that is sitting on 1.020 at day 14 of ferment. There is still alot of dark brown krausen sitting on top which I found strange for 2 weeks but it could be due to the recipe. Taste is fine.
I went with:

Coopers stout tin
1kg dark dme
500g light dme
500g raw sugar
100g choc malt steeped @ 65* for 30-50min

us-05 rehydrated pitched at 15*
fermented at 17-18*

22L with OG 1.060

Ianh spreadsheet told me an fg of 1.012 so has it stalled early or should it actually be a higher fg?

IMAG0379.jpg

panspermian said:
If gravity is stuck, bottle!

As long as it's within ballpark you know you'll be right. If it was severely stuck then you know something's wrong.
Have faith in your brew.
2 days straight of consistent FG, I bottle. I bottle after beersmith predicted FG.
I do get a few floaters, but this just tells me I'm bottling too early. (I would assume this would raise my FG than what was measured before bottling).
Maybe this ingestion of live yeast adds to my chronic autoimmune disease ailments.
I don't think the opening line is the best advice to give to a new brewer

LiquidGold said:
I also have a stout that is sitting on 1.020 at day 14 of ferment. There is still alot of dark brown krausen sitting on top which I found strange for 2 weeks but it could be due to the recipe. Taste is fine.
I went with:

Coopers stout tin
1kg dark dme
500g light dme
500g raw sugar
100g choc malt steeped @ 65* for 30-50min

us-05 rehydrated pitched at 15*
fermented at 17-18*

22L with OG 1.060

Ianh spreadsheet told me an fg of 1.012 so has it stalled early or should it actually be a higher fg?

attachicon.gif
IMAG0379.jpg
doesn't look infected US-05 occasionally sticks around like that - it will drop eventually.

with an OG of 1.060 and fermented on the cool side, I'd guess that it's not quite finished, but don't be surprised if it finishes a few points higher than 1.012

if you have the capability, warm it up to the low 20's to help finish it off

Pretty sure this isn't an infection, but thought I'd share.

Made a 2l 002 starter on Wednesday night. Was rather inebriated and I did leave it chilling (covered) in the laundry tub more than I usually would.
Stir plate for 24hrs. Was looking quite active on Thursday night.
Friday night, went out to see this:

starter1.jpgstarter2.jpg

I swear they are straight on my PC...anyways...Big bubbles ring alarm bells, but they don't look quite like the 'infection' bubbles I've seen before.

When I moved the starter, they all pretty much disappeared. This is it inside a few mins later:

starter3.jpg

Smells like an English yeast starter...thoughts?

Thanks for the fast reply Liam, I brought it up to 20 for a few days then 22 for a bit longer just to be sure. Managed to get down to a steady 1.016. Look forward to tasting.

i was about to siphon this but am unsure now, should i drain it from the tap and just put up with the bit of yeast cake that will come out? or is this a straight up garden brew... its smells a little like wine.
Heineken clone, last one we did (just before this) smelled amazing and fruity,and looked nothing like this.
This just smells like wine.

Thoughts? kegs are purged and sanitised and ready to transfer.....

possibleinfection.jpg

Yeah, tasted fine, and when I went back to look at it just now it looked normal again, so I kegged it.

strange how it changed appearance in the space of an hour....

We'll see.

G'day Folks,

So I've done about 30 biab brews and I recently came across this. I've never seen this before. It has been in the fermenter for 1.5 weeks. This beer was poured onto a yeast cake. The beer before it I used seaweed for the first time (didn't really notice much of a difference). The beer before this turned out well. It smells ok, haven't tasted it yet because I'm scared.

Does it look familiar? anyone else have brains or sponge growing on their beer?

sorry, it appears I'm too stupid to attach photos. here are the urls

http://imgur.com/URjnT5X,yelvI4U#1
http://imgur.com/URjnT5X,yelvI4U#0

Edak said:
For Christ's sake so taking the lid off your fermenter or you will be a regular in this topic!
HAHAHA

A new breed of brewer - Lid Lifters!

Back