Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im probably being cautious but am hoping to get the next brew happening. Was hoping to get the yeast from sediment of some coopers celebration ale bottles.

Have done starter steps from 0.5L up to 1.5L. On Stir plate for about 3 days.
Checked the gravity with a refractometer and its at 1.046. Forgot to take the brix reading so not sure what the corrected reading is.
My main concern is it tasted sour. Not aiming to ruin another batch so a bit reluctant to use this yeast and infect another batch.
Need help if possible.

Starter 1.jpg

Photo shown of chilled starter.

starter2.jpg

I had a taste of a starter once, really unpleasantly sour.

It was for a big RIS and decided not to use it, and had to sub in some less attenuative yeast. I decided to use the "sour" WLP005 starter on a 2l sample. The main batch was a little too high at the end. The 2l batch was fine and not sour.

By no means saying yours I'd not infected, but in my limited experience, they don't taste great... Hence I just won't taste from here ;)

If it ain't jumping out the flask and giving the results you want on a small scale, don't risk a full batch with it..

Culturing from dregs is a process, half a litre first step is a bit large, I'd normally go 50ml, 500ml, 2000ml.

I've got one on the plate at the moment done from the dregs of a WLP vial, 10ml, 30ml, 500ml, 2000ml and even at the 2000ml starter wasn't quite happy so run the 2000ml again, exploded overnight and had yeast spilling out the top... Happy with it now ;)

Ok thanks.

Might ditch this batch but will definitely remember that next time yob.
Think this one is destined for the sink. Put a sample in a hydrometer and came up with 1.050. OG was 1.038 so im stumped what happened there but ill not be using the starter either way.

This mild i brewed exactly two weeks ago Doesn't look nearly as nasty as some other photos I've seen in this thread....

But it's got a funny too-sweet caramel smell.... And this film....

I used dry S04, OG 1038, FG 1010...

any thoughts? Not sure what to do. Doesn't taste very good. But I can't tell if it's infected or of I just don't like Milds. I've never brewed a mild before.

1400585372287.jpg

Yob said:
If it ain't jumping out the flask and giving the results you want on a small scale, don't risk a full batch with it..

Culturing from dregs is a process, half a litre first step is a bit large, I'd normally go 50ml, 500ml, 2000ml.

I've got one on the plate at the moment done from the dregs of a WLP vial, 10ml, 30ml, 500ml, 2000ml and even at the 2000ml starter wasn't quite happy so run the 2000ml again, exploded overnight and had yeast spilling out the top... Happy with it now ;)
I've never had impressive krausens on my starter - just stepped up a 1728 scotch ale, looked like little to no action. 2 days in the fermenter its @ 13C and 5 inches of krausen... not alway an indicator. Wouldn't mind having a krausen explosion out of a starter just once lol.

Can I get your thoughts on this? First biab after lots of extract brews. Ben in the FV since Sunday morning.

No off flavours but the white stuff on the left I haven't seen before.

Finishing this post on the pc as I cat upload the photo

Lochem said:
This mild i brewed exactly two weeks ago Doesn't look nearly as nasty as some other photos I've seen in this thread....

But it's got a funny too-sweet caramel smell.... And this film....

I used dry S04, OG 1038, FG 1010...

any thoughts? Not sure what to do. Doesn't taste very good. But I can't tell if it's infected or of I just don't like Milds. I've never brewed a mild before.
S0_4 is the English dry yeast? This happened to me on 2 different brews 1 week apart new packets of yeast, so I think your right. I even posted in here my pics of one of them. The yeast had a tang about it in both beers. I don't think I'll use the yeast again. Ive been using liquid again and you can't beat it.

I cant edit my earlier post for some reason, here the details:

Can I get your thoughts on this? First biab ( stout ) after lots of extract brews. It's been in the FV since Sunday morning.

No off flavors but the white stuff on the left I haven't seen before. any ideas?

2hhhjc5.jpg

20140521_185149.jpg

marksy said:
S0_4 is the English dry yeast? This happened to me on 2 different brews 1 week apart new packets of yeast, so I think your right. I even posted in here my pics of one of them. The yeast had a tang about it in both beers. I don't think I'll use the yeast again. Ive been using liquid again and you can't beat it.
There ya go Yob. Another S04 story.

Although I dare say, on my porter it did a fair job.

jatterbury said:
I cant edit my earlier post for some reason, here the details:

Can I get your thoughts on this? First biab ( stout ) after lots of extract brews. It's been in the FV since Sunday morning.

No off flavors but the white stuff on the left I haven't seen before. any ideas?
Looks like clumps of yeast sloshed down from the side of the fermenter where it was deposited by the krausen.

Yeah mate, mine fermented fine, there is just a tang to it that I didn't like that was also strong during fermentation. Same symptoms though. If it taste like beer then its fine.

Cold crashed the stout this morning. Definitely yeast as it's all dropped out now. Thanks again.

Check this shit out!
This is a brown ale that went bad a few or 6 months ago. Has a very strong acetone aroma and flavour mixed with a sort of fruity raspberry aroma. It's pretty nasty so I chucked some brett in there. See if he'll sort it out.

IMAG0903.jpg

Hi guys,
I've only been brewing for a year or so but I reckon I have gained enough knowledge to add comment to this thread.
The first time I racked my beer into a secondary fermenter, I noticed white spots floating on the top of my brew. I freaked out, I was tempted to tip it. After googling for hours I finally came to the realisation that these were just healthy yeast colonies re establishing themselves.
This is just part of the process of transferring from one fermenter to another.
Although I've seen some pretty nasty pics of infection in this thread I think some people jump to conclusions, like I did my first time.
Infection shouldn't be an easy thing to get. Once yeast starts doing it's job, alcohol should kill off any nasties still hanging around. If bad bacteria were around, you would think they would have gotten hold before fermentation.
I hope this puts newbie minds at ease.

Back